Honda Reveals 2017 Civic Si Coupe and Sedan (205 HP / 192 LB-FT)

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
I have a few questions.
Ok, the SI has a constant max torque from 21000 to 5000 rpm
What does this means in terms of the day to day handling?
For example, does it mean it is always safe to floor it up in this range?
What if I am in 1700 rpm or 1600, can I floor it up? Does it damage the car?
Max rpm is at 5700 rpm. When, or for what reason should I want to go there on purpose?
Thanks.
WTF? LOL you over analyze things.

Go drive the car. You like it, you buy it. Don't worry about those numbers on paper.
Sponsored

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
I have a few questions.
Ok, the SI has a constant max torque from 2100 to 5000 rpm
What does this means in terms of the day to day handling?
For example, does it mean it is always safe to floor it up in this range?
What if I am in 1700 rpm or 1600, can I floor it up? Does it damage the car?
Max rpm is at 5700 rpm. When, or for what reason should I want to go there on purpose?
Thanks.
1. It means that when is floored the car will move faster with strength on a lower RPM.
2. Isn't recommended to floor a turbo car when you are on the last shift or you might face catastrophic engine failure. This is known as Engine Lugging, check this video for more info. On the SI I wouldn't floor it on 6th or 5th gear when the car is at 2K 3.5K rpm.
3. I think that the fuel cut off is at 6500rpm so you can go after 5700rpm without any problems. When racing you want to get into the 6000rpms or when you want to get the maximum performance of your 1.5T. The problem with this engine is that loses power after 5700. It feels tired up there.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Isn't recommended to floor a turbo car when you are on the last shift or you might face catastrophic engine failure. This is known as Engine Lugging, check this video for more info. On the SI I wouldn't floor it on 6th or 5th gear when the car is at 2K 3.5K rpm.
This might have been true in the days of mechanical throttle linkages and wastegates, but electronic throttle control and wastegates with electronic actuators on modern production vehicles all but prevent you from doing terminal things to the engines.

Neutral drops are less dramatic since engine RPM is limited in neutral or park.
Power braking is becoming a memory due to brake override systems.
Automatics won't let you shift to park or reverse while you're driving down the highway.
Electronic parking brakes won't allow the parking brake to engage while in motion.
Paddle shifters won't let you downshift to a gear that would cause engine overspeed.

Want to floor the Si in 6th gear at 1,500 RPM while running 87 octane fuel from the local grocery store while the engine temperature is 32°F? Feel free, but don't expect much progress and you won't see 20 PSI of boost as the computer does what it needs to do to avoid a warranty claim. ;)

EduMtl

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2017 SI Sedan, Civic 2009 DXG Coupe
Nobody wants to do such a thing as you mentioned, but it is useful to know what are the car limits, and also what happens when you make a mistake changing gears.
Thanks.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ah so ugly!

No more vtec?? BOOOOOOOO

No bump in power? SLOWWWWW!!!

svffr

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 PMM Civic EX, '19 CBP Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
looking back on the past comments here are pretty funny.
lol I know right, turned out to be a pretty awesome car.
Can't wait to read back in 5 years at the 11th gen Si comments when its revealed.

Pielo7

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
lol I know right, turned out to be a pretty awesome car.
Can't wait to read back in 5 years at the 11th gen Si comments when its revealed.
Do it is the same story, all over again, repeated comments and everything "with good reason" there's a demand for power that is never been fulfill in the Si, ohhh and the limited run comments about the tyoe R

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Bringing back from the dead again!
Got bored and decided to go down memory lane. Very funny some of it.

A lot of the folks who did not like the Si, now have one and/or love it. A few moved on. But most of the thread did not age well. Esp in the beginning. Good times. It's interesting going back and seeing pple's reaction and then see how thing's aged. Seeing how the aftermarket scene and all the possibilities of this platform exploded. It's the same on the 11th gen forum. In about 5-7 years, it'll be the same. Classic stuff.

On a side note, it is unfortunate the Coupe was axed. It just made this generation more exceptional because you had options. It's why I got a 10th over the 11th gen. I wonder what the 11th gen will be like in 5 years after a few refreshes and if it will be the last combustion Si. If Honda will make the 12th gen a hybrid + turbo. Only time will tell!

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I still stand by my comments in this thread. :)

In similar news, reached out to the highest volume Honda dealer in our area to see what they're charging for the new Si. MSRP + 4900 in mandatory add-ons. I remember picking up my 17 sedan for just under 23K. Mind-boggling how times have changed.

Hopefully we'll see a return to sensible pricing in another year.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found one that is MSRP plus $599 tint for leftover 22's and new 23's. Gonna put in a deposit on a 23. The nice thing about the new car is they dynoed them when the 22 released and they were putting down 200 whp stock and 30-40 more with a Hondata OTS tune. :drive: :drool:
Sponsored

Last edited: