nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Civic, Passat
It's true it doesn't 100% prove that the 2.0T will go into the SI, but I see absolutely no reason Honda would start mass production of the 2.0T in March 2016 for a car that wont be produced until sometime 2017 (Type R). Let alone the fact that the Type R will be so limited, a mass production so early makes no sense.
Honestly, if the SI gets the 2.0 which I really think it will, I don't see Honda flinching that it will cannibalize sales of the Type R at all. The Type R is a very niche market. If anything, Honda would make the Si more appealing to increase volume there than worrying about losing a few sales to the Type R. Given the competitor market, and the niche market of the Type R, there's a much higher opportunity cost by catering to the Type R over the Si.
Sponsored

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Honestly, if the SI gets the 2.0 which I really think it will, I don't see Honda flinching that it will cannibalize sales of the Type R at all. The Type R is a very niche market. If anything, Honda would make the Si more appealing to increase volume there than worrying about losing a few sales to the Type R. Given the competitor market, and the niche market of the Type R, there's a much higher opportunity cost by catering to the Type R over the Si.
Agreed. I recall the Integra Type R days and guys going in to get the ITR but leaving with 'just' a GSR for $4000 less because it had a sunroof or factory A/C or whatever. People were coming in the door for B18C5 but leaving with B18C1. Same casting, just different pistons, rods, combustion chamber shape, valves, valve springs, and cams. The Intake Manifold and exhaust headers were different as well but still based on either Civic Si or CTR.
Anyway I'm rambling.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
2.0T will find it's way into other Honda/Acura models. It'll be interesting to see if the March production schedule means for the Si or some other model first...

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
Every one is going to want the 1.5t or 2.0t now that they are actually getting the gas mileage stated. not like ford ecoboost. Even if you drive those cars normal you will not get close to mpg stated. While Honda is actually getting good MPGs out of the turbos. Bet they are ramping up to start new accord redesign a little faster now. They will probably but 1.5t in HRV soon. 2.0t will probably be in almost all models in some variation soon From the civic up

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
2.0T will find it's way into other Honda/Acura models. It'll be interesting to see if the March production schedule means for the Si or some other model first...
Agreed! I see it replacing the N/A TLX 2.4, potentially the RDX v6, and maybe even the ILX engine. I would definitely see it in the CRV as well. I don't know if the 1.5 is common enough with the current 1.5 in the Fit, but a turbo Fit would be awesome!!!

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
So 2016-2017 might be the accords last year as a V6 with a non cvt automatic. Looks like it's back to the drawing board for me. do i get a pre-owned 2016 V6 or a brand new Civic Hatchback with a 2.0 CVT (Hopefully they offer that).

haztorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MSM EX-T
I have a German manual V8, a coming out of a German manual 6-cylinder and this car feels more like my V8 under partial throttle, as-is with the 1.5T CVT. That is because of the direct injection, I suppose. I'd get that hatchback man. I wish I could have held out for one. So useful.

Edit: I mention they are German because the typically have better torque than the Japanese 6s (non-direct injected anyways.)

Last edited:

Mannyp93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Civic EX, 2016 Civic EX
I have a German manual V8, a coming out of a German manual 6-cylinder and this car feels more like my V8 under partial throttle, as-is with the 1.5T CVT. That is because of the direct injection, I suppose. I'd get that hatchback man. I wish I could have held out for one. So useful.

Edit: I mention they are German because the typically have better torque than the Japanese 6s (non-direct injected anyways.)
The V6 is probably more to maintain too i guess. I just want something that will have space. I'm 22 (23 when i buy the car) so ideally if i got 10 years out of the car i may already be married and have children. I just don't want to get stuck with something that won't be practical. This is why i'm staying away from the coupes.

haztorks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 MSM EX-T
The V6 is probably more to maintain too i guess. I just want something that will have space. I'm 22 (23 when i buy the car) so ideally if i got 10 years out of the car i may already be married and have children. I just don't want to get stuck with something that won't be practical. This is why i'm staying away from the coupes.
Smart man. 4 doors are very useful, and a hatch on top even more so. The cars I enjoyed most in my 20s were 4 door hatchbacks, but mainly because of all the moving and life changes that you go through, while still remaining frugal and fun to drive. Once I got a garage, a coupe was a pain. This is all aside from the damn modification addictions that went with them all. Ugh, so want to be done with that, but probably never will be. It's a waste of money, every damn time.

jk147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I am more interested to see if Honda will finally put a DCT into the Si and go with the GTI route. But I have a feeling they are reserving it just for the Acura brand.

firsthonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
g6
I am more interested to see if Honda will finally put a DCT into the Si and go with the GTI route. But I have a feeling they are reserving it just for the Acura brand.
How about a 7 sp auto that drops down to the seventh gear highway. If you gun it drops you into a lower gear idk I am making stuff up I just want an auto Si for under 27k

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The only other candidate in 2016 is the CR-V. But the 1.5T would be a better fit based on power and mpg targets. Accord and ILX probably wouldn't get it until MY2018 or later.

As mentioned earlier, all that's left is the HOA press release (and maybe a spy photo or two).
Sponsored