Honda / No oil change at 20%

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I guess I'm lucky, got a dealer with an excellent service dept, service manager is a good friend, also have a long-standing relationship with their lead mechanic, he's the only one who works on my Civic & my wife's Fit. The Fit is a 2016, only has about 7k on it, did the first change at 1 yr, about 5k. My 2019 Touring is a week old, has about 245 mi on it. Planning to run it to 5k for its first change. I generally drive 10-12k/yr. Plan on using Mobil1 EP 0W-20 & Mobil1 filters in it, will look at the MM, but generally use 5k interval for OC & tire rotation, also like my mechanic to go over the car every 5k or 6 months. Dealer does a check sheet, brakes, fluid levels, etc, no charge. I provide my own oil/filters as I generally like to stick with the Mobil1. Depending on an oil analysis after I run the EP 5k, may extend out to 7500 unless the MM indicates sooner. My 2016 EX-L's MM was usually at 30% or so at 5k using Mobil1 EFM 0W-20, so I'm comfortable with that. Good oil is relatively cheap, engines are expensive, so changing oil a bit earlier than the MM & getting the car gone over by people I trust, especially my wife's car, gives me confidence. YMMV
Phil
You truly are VERY LUCKY -- in that you were able to take the time and make the effort to foster and develop these relationships, so now you can sleep well at night, as well as drive the car knowing 100% for sure that it is being correctly maintained.
Sponsored

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
You are correct, coming from a small town, learned early that building good working relationships with people you deal with is important. Been with this dealership for at least 35 years only had to deal with 4 sales people & 2 mechanics in that time. You'd be hard pressed to sell me anything but a Honda now. Oh yes, forgot to mention, when I get my cars serviced, I bring donuts for my mechanic's team, they take care of me, I take care of them.