Honda Infotainmnet system - Audio bench Test

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
One step closer to being set up to finally fix my Bricked Honda head unit, and then to do some quantitative measurements of the Honda Amp (10 speaker system) and see what can be done to speed up the actual Head Unit.

I have managed to put together all the Cable harnesses need to power up the amp, the head Unit, the display, and the speakers. Final parts arrived today .. the 10 4ohm 100W Load resistors
Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Infotainmnet system - Audio bench Test Amp_load_resistors
to test the 10 speaker Honda Amp at full output, "without going deaf", and eliminating the highly variable speakers from the equation.
Sponsored

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
Would be interested if you find a way to speed up the head unit. I am sure most this would be over there heads. I have built ham radios from scratch. Nice to have a great test bench and oscilloscope and other equipment. Will be interested in your findings.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Would be interested if you find a way to speed up the head unit. I am sure most this would be over there heads. I have built ham radios from scratch. Nice to have a great test bench and oscilloscope and other equipment. Will be interested in your findings.
Just picked up a used 2018 Si Instrument gauge from a totaled car.
Got to wonder how "Modable" the center display processor is !!!
Hopefully I will power up the AMP & Head Unit this weekend.

If the project proves interesting, I'll take photos and document on the forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just picked up a used 2018 Si Instrument gauge from a totaled car.
Got to wonder how "Modable" the center display processor is !!!
Hopefully I will power up the AMP & Head Unit this weekend.

If the project proves interesting, I'll take photos and document on the forum.

Could not resist taking it apart this evening ..

Looks like the software on it is going to be pretty much cast in stone.

Since the Instrument panel starts up almost instantaneous, I think it all must be self contained within the unit... as the head Unit Android software takes some time to boot.

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Infotainmnet system - Audio bench Test Si-Instr_02
Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Infotainmnet system - Audio bench Test Si-Instr_01

The smaller rectangular board (removed in 2nd Photo) appears to be the Center LCD display processor board, with possibly a video input ? on the left, from the Android Head Unit .. or it may be digital communications.
Somehow the Head Unit has to be able to put up some info in the middle of the display, like Audio info, etc.

Will become a lot more obvious when I get it powered up on the Bench and can start "Playing" with it, together with the Head Unit, and the AMP.

Timmeh8604

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If by some chance you end up installing this cluster, I would be interested to know if the mileage from your car shows up on it or the mileage of the car it came from. I have an EX hatch and would like to swap in a Sport touring cluster to get the red and my only real concern is the odometer.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If by some chance you end up installing this cluster, I would be interested to know if the mileage from your car shows up on it or the mileage of the car it came from. I have an EX hatch and would like to swap in a Sport touring cluster to get the red and my only real concern is the odometer.
Sure ... once I get the screen to light up !!!

I did get the Head Unit powered up and running on the bench.
It was from a crashed USA 2018 Si.

Imagine my excitement & delight when it fired up and the Garmin Gps was was there.
The Si owner must have gone for the update !!! .. I am so delighted !!

A few quick settings changes to turn off the Drive/parked safety, so I can access all the Menus, and added back in the Browser .. just in case i am tempted to Honda hack.
Connected to Internet as well.
Next step is the Instrument Cluster display ...

Last edited:

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Looking forward to your progress. Might get some interesting tidbits out of this one. :)

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looking forward to your progress. Might get some interesting tidbits out of this one. :)
I just got the latest 2018 Si update USB stick, so I can update my test Head Unit.
(The one that is required for the OD TSB updates)
Being inquisitive, I started looking at some of the files for a full update.

NO SURPRISE .. Most of the software is over 10 year old !!!! ie Has file dates before 2009 !!
I guess we all knew that the OS was old, but basically the 2019 Honda Civics are still running code that was last updated over 10 years ago ...!!!
No wonder the HU is a P.O.S.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
scopesys,

I often discussed your projects on the Civic, I did not always agree.
On the other hand, I admire your imagination and your creativity in all these projects.
It's interesting to follow and I will not criticize any more

SaintClarence27

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
So is the issue the software and if so, can the HU be improved by rooting with a software change without having to actually update the HU? ?

PHubb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX, 2012 Accord
Country flag
Sure ... once I get the screen to light up !!!

I did get the Head Unit powered up and running on the bench.
It was from a crashed USA 2018 Si.

Imagine my excitement & delight when it fired up and the Garmin Gps was was there.
The Si owner must have gone for the update !!! .. I am so delighted !!

A few quick settings changes to turn off the Drive/parked safety, so I can access all the Menus, and added back in the Browser .. just in case i am tempted to Honda hack.
Connected to Internet as well.
Next step is the Instrument Cluster display ...
Hello; @SCOPESYS I realize it's been 3 years since this post, but I have my HU started on the bench but can't seem to find the menu where "turn off the Drive/parked safety" is and how to get the browser back. It's out of a 2020 and browser is gone along with gallery. Thanks
Paul

PHubb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX, 2012 Accord
Country flag
I found it. When deep in the settings I had to go to Special function> Cancel Android Restriction
The Gallery and Browser re-appear in Apps.
Sponsored