Honda Hatchback 2017 vs Elantra Sport 2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2004
Hey guys,

I've been a follower of CivicX for about a year now as I've been looking towards purchasing a new car as a I just graduated. I just wanted some of your opinion on which car I should get (also which color you guys like - either blue, white or black although leaning towards blue). A little bit of myself:

1) Newly Graduate
2) Budget between 25-30k
3) Looking to fully purchase the car (lease & finance aren't an option unfortunately)
4) Currently drive a 2004 Honda Civic SI (however, I can't afford the new 2017 SI, so thats out of the question)
5) New car will be used as a commuter car
6) Overall cost and maintenance shouldn't be too high as I have to pay for it
7) Civic hatchback sport was my first choice, however after realizing the recommended fuel will be premium, its starting to push me away from this decision (main reason to purchase was for the dual exhaust)

I have narrowed down my options to either:

1) Civic Hatchback (EX or Sport CVT) - Although having to fill Premium for Sport
2) Hyundai Elantra Sport 2017 (aka Hyundai Avante Sport (korea) and Hyunda Elantra SR)

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Hatchback 2017 vs Elantra Sport 2017 Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 9.41.38 PM

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Hatchback 2017 vs Elantra Sport 2017 Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 9.40.14 PM

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Hatchback 2017 vs Elantra Sport 2017 Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 1.53.15 PM

Negan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Batmobile
If you're just starting life in "the real world", I think it's smartest to drive your current Si longer, or if it's dying, a much cheaper car altogether. Especially since the car will be a very expensive purchase for you (since you indicated the Si is not affordable, even though it will probably be ~$5k more). Get out of debt, if you have any, build an emergency fund, start saving and investing regularly, then buy the car you want.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, it's just my own advice to help you avoid early financial mistakes that many people make, especially very young ones such as yourself.

richtj22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4dr Civic LX 2008 Suzuki SX4 Sport
If your budget is 25-30K then you have the perfect amount of money for an Si. Also, I would burry your '04 to the ground for the next 6 months. Every month you save hundreds of dollars a month in insurance and payments & every month your decision becomes easier as you figure out your needs in your new life. Only negative... The patience of waiting

anntrn93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch Sport Touring
If the car still drives, keep that Si. If i didn't lose my RSX in a rear end collision in August I would not plan on purchasing the hatch. I still love it, but it's always nice to have money in your bank. Also, this is the hatch first production year, who knows what problems it's going to have? like I said if you don't need it, I would wait to see what the reviews are and wait for dealerships to move down on their pricing. You're paying more now than say June- July next year.

now back to the question...I would go for the Sport hatch. Premium fuel is recommended but not required, so I don't know why you said you HAVE TO fill Premium for it. It's more like a want than a need. 6hp is not going to make a difference IMO and I am planning on using regular gas on my Sport Touring once i get it.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
If the car still drives, keep that Si. If i didn't lose my RSX in a rear end collision in August I would not plan on purchasing the hatch. I still love it, but it's always nice to have money in your bank. Also, this is the hatch first production year, who knows what problems it's going to have? like I said if you don't need it, I would wait to see what the reviews are and wait for dealerships to move down on their pricing. You're paying more now than say June- July next year.

now back to the question...I would go for the Sport hatch. Premium fuel is recommended but not required, so I don't know why you said you HAVE TO fill Premium for it. It's more like a want than a need. 6hp is not going to make a difference IMO and I am planning on using regular gas on my Sport Touring once i get it.
me too, plan to use regular gas in the Sport unless it has driveability issues (my 330i was kind of jerky/sluggish on regular when i tried it).

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2004
me too, plan to use regular gas in the Sport unless it has driveability issues (my 330i was kind of jerky/sluggish on regular when i tried it).
But do you guys know if since "premium is recommended" does filling regular decrease the longevity of the engine because I considered that too because I was assuming that filling premium just allows for a smoother ride and to get that last 6 HP

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
But do you guys know if since "premium is recommended" does filling regular decrease the longevity of the engine because I considered that too because I was assuming that filling premium just allows for a smoother ride and to get that last 6 HP
No more than running regular would hurt an EX. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if you could run premium in an EX and get some or all of the HP gains. I'm skeptical that center exhaust really is anything more than cosmetic.

KayakarCV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Honda Civic LX sedan
If you're just starting life in "the real world", I think it's smartest to drive your current Si longer, or if it's dying, a much cheaper car altogether. Especially since the car will be a very expensive purchase for you (since you indicated the Si is not affordable, even though it will probably be ~$5k more). Get out of debt, if you have any, build an emergency fund, start saving and investing regularly, then buy the car you want.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, it's just my own advice to help you avoid early financial mistakes that many people make, especially very young ones such as yourself.
I strongly agree with Negan. Build up your financial position before spending on a new car. If you're concerned with the extra expense of premium fuel, you probably shouldn't stretch to buy a new car now, unless it is a real necessity. I don't know where you are, but here in New York State, USA, the Elantra Sport does not seem to be available yet (as of yesterday), and I have seen only one video "review" online (YouTube) that actually had the car being driven. A Canadian car guy was a passenger while a Hyundai rep drove fast around a parking lot. The car seemed to handle very nicely. One thing was striking: the Sport has a really sporty-growly exhaust note. I checked out a black Honda Hatchback in a dealer's showroom the other day, and felt it was like being in a dark cave. My old Civic sedan has and a nice airy feeling inside, and great visibility out. I also checked out an standard 2017 Elantra in a showroom, and it seemed a lot airier with better visibility out than the Hatchback. On the other hand, the difference between the beautifully executed Honda interior -- design and especially materials -- is significant compared to the neat, but plastic-y Hyundai.

Best wishes with whatever you decide to do, HondaHatch20.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2004
I strongly agree with Negan. Build up your financial position before spending on a new car. If you're concerned with the extra expense of premium fuel, you probably shouldn't stretch to buy a new car now, unless it is a real necessity. I don't know where you are, but here in New York State, USA, the Elantra Sport does seem to be available yet (as of yesterday), and I have seen only one video "review" online (YouTube) that actually had the car being driven. A Canadian car guy was a passenger while a Hyundai rep drove fast around a parking lot. The car seemed to handle very nicely. One thing was striking: the Sport has a really sporty-growly exhaust note. I checked out a black Honda Hatchback in a dealer's showroom the other day, and felt it was like being in a dark cave. My old Civic sedan has and a nice airy feeling inside, and great visibility out. I also checked out an standard 2017 Elantra in a showroom, and it seemed a lot airier with better visibility out than the Hatchback. On the other hand, the difference between the beautifully executed Honda interior -- design and especially material -- is significant compared to the neat, but plastic-y Hyundai.

Best wishes with whatever you decide to do, HondaHatch20.

Thanks for your feedback and opinion. Building on my financial position is definitely a top priority of mine however, my 04 civic si is starting to deteriorate and to be honest im not 100% sure if it can last through another canadian winter (although i'm crossing my fingers it will). I was fortunate and was able to get out of debt free upon completing university. I can can clearly see where your coming from and appreciate your advice, however similar to other young individuals I believe the hardest question we face is "what and/or how do we invest in"

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well let's see, the Elantra sport has MT and DCT (I would prefer DCT over CVT) it has leather seats Apple car play HIDs , 201 HP and 195 torque, paddle shifters, infinity speakers, multilink IRS, larger front brakes all for 25k not bad. if you just wanted a MT without all the accessories you could get it for 21k a steal for a car that produces that kind of power. but it does not come in hatch form, and im not sure how fast that car would decrease in value compared to the civic.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for your feedback and opinion. Building on my financial position is definitely a top priority of mine however, my 04 civic si is starting to deteriorate and to be honest im not 100% sure if it can last through another canadian winter (although i'm crossing my fingers it will). I was fortunate and was able to get out of debt free upon completing university. I can can clearly see where your coming from and appreciate your advice, however similar to other young individuals I believe the hardest question we face is "what and/or how do we invest in"
I bought a new Integra GSR sedan right out of college. Was it the smartest thing, maybe not, but I don't regret it - you should not wait til you're 50 to start enjoying life.

IcyRyce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

I've been a follower of CivicX for about a year now as I've been looking towards purchasing a new car as a I just graduated. I just wanted some of your opinion on which car I should get (also which color you guys like - either blue, white or black although leaning towards blue). A little bit of myself:

1) Newly Graduate
2) Budget between 25-30k
3) Looking to fully purchase the car (lease & finance aren't an option unfortunately)
4) Currently drive a 2004 Honda Civic SI (however, I can't afford the new 2017 SI, so thats out of the question)
5) New car will be used as a commuter car
6) Overall cost and maintenance shouldn't be too high as I have to pay for it
7) Civic hatchback sport was my first choice, however after realizing the recommended fuel will be premium, its starting to push me away from this decision (main reason to purchase was for the dual exhaust)

I have narrowed down my options to either:

1) Civic Hatchback (EX or Sport CVT) - Although having to fill Premium for Sport
2) Hyundai Elantra Sport 2017 (aka Hyundai Avante Sport (korea) and Hyunda Elantra SR)

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 9.41.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 9.40.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-19 at 1.53.15 PM.png
The Elantra Sport is just starting to hit Canada and the price undercuts the Civic Sport Hatch almost 3k here in Canada. Im serious considering the Elantra Sport as it offers more at a lower price point, as well as the civic sport hatch has not come to Canada yet which means Honda still has my deposit (for now).

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2004
The Elantra Sport is just starting to hit Canada and the price undercuts the Civic Sport Hatch almost 3k here in Canada. Im serious considering the Elantra Sport as it offers more at a lower price point, as well as the civic sport hatch has not come to Canada yet which means Honda still has my deposit (for now).
haha yeah those are exactly my points as well. Another thing steering me away is the recommended premium fuel for the sports. BUT, i did see the first sport on young and finch the other day and it was beautiful. Still torn between the decision.

IcyRyce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
haha yeah those are exactly my points as well. Another thing steering me away is the recommended premium fuel for the sports. BUT, i did see the first sport on young and finch the other day and it was beautiful. Still torn between the decision.
Another con for Elantra Sport is that hyundai's resale value does not really hold up, already there are used 17 Elantra's going for 18k. But Honda's premium fuel recommendation for the sport just to get 6hp more is stupid compared to hyundai's 200hp on regular.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Another con for Elantra Sport is that hyundai's resale value does not really hold up, already there are used 17 Elantra's going for 18k. But Honda's premium fuel recommendation for the sport just to get 6hp more is stupid compared to hyundai's 200hp on regular.
I think it's a lot more than 6 hp, my car comes alive on 93 octane. Broader torque curve, and sounds better - definitely worth it imo. Although if I was just driving in boring traffic I'd go back to 87.
Sponsored