Honda hacked Google Maps running slow

Zipsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type-R, 2016 BMW i8
Country flag
l have a head unit that’s been Honda hacked with the basic version. I installed Google Maps, Google Play Services app, and Google Accounts Manager app. When I open the map, it can find my location, but it runs so slowly. I have an iPhone. I know I can use Google Maps through CarPlay now, but I’d rather have Google Maps natively. Can someone help?

Z.
Sponsored

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I haven't seen it personally, but from the sounds of it, you're at the limitation of the processor, memory, etc. of that stock headunit. Really no fix other than using CarPlay or upgrading the unit entirely. I've seen people posting all the time on the slowness, especially when sideloading apps.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I have Honda hack too and my Google Maps is also pretty much useless as a native app. This is mainly because Honda didn't really design the headunit to run apps like Google Maps natively and they mainly made it to support its UI and stuff like Carplay and Android Auto which it does pretty well. Unfortunately there is not much you can do to make it run better for something like this, and you just gotta rely on the Maps from CarPlay or Android Auto.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I have Honda hack too and my Google Maps is also pretty much useless as a native app. This is mainly because Honda didn't really design the headunit to run apps like Google Maps natively and they mainly made it to support its UI and stuff like Carplay and Android Auto which it does pretty well. Unfortunately there is not much you can do to make it run better for something like this, and you just gotta rely on the Maps from CarPlay or Android Auto.
EXACTLY :)

You most likely have a reasonably modern Smartphone, that is fast and has more Ram than the Honda Unit.
The Honda Unit is busy doing other things, but can also run the AA "SERVER" well.

So it make so much sense to run the GPS software on your phone, and just let the Honda Unit be the nice big Touchscreen Display -- ie Run Android Auto.

What really is the advantage of trying to force the Honda Unit to run the GPS software ?
Would you really go out driving in your car and leave your Smartphone at home ?

Plugging in the USB cord takes all of 5 seconds ( have a cable in the car, already plugged into the car, ready to go)...
You probably want to plug it in in any case, to keep it charged.

The system works very well .. if it is not working for you, then obviously that needs to be addressed and fixed.
Really, the last thing you want to do to fix it is an aftermarket head unit, or Honda Hack.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I agree with the above but I would point out that I often drive around with Hulu or Netflix playing natively while also using Google maps through AA without any perception of slowness. Verizon S9+ fwiw.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I agree with the above but I would point out that I often drive around with Hulu or Netflix playing natively while also using Google maps through AA without any perception of slowness. Verizon S9+ fwiw.
Just to be clear "Playing Natively" means ???
Running on your Smartphone, or the APP actually running on the Honda Head unit ??

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I've used Netflix on the headunit too and it works buttery smooth. Weird how it can playback HD video on Netflix without any hiccups but it can't run Google Maps at all.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've used Netflix on the headunit too and it works buttery smooth. Weird how it can playback HD video on Netflix without any hiccups but it can't run Google Maps at all.
Google Maps is a very processor and memory demanding app.
A streaming Music player, or even streaming Video player is trivial by comparison.

That's why the players work, but Google map grinds to a halt on a slower system, like the Honda Head Unit.

In car terms, its like trying to race model T Ford in the Indy 500.
Yes, the model T is a "car" and can drive around the track, but you won't like it's performance.
Drive it around a car park, and it might be acceptable, and faster than walking !!

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda hacked Google Maps running slow first-drive-of-model-t-photo-106084-s-original

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
You guys drive around while watching Netflix and Hulu?
No never. Ive only used netflix while waiting in a parking lot or at times eating in the car while stopped for whatever reason. Streaming video and driving is beyond stupid.
Sponsored