Honda Hack or app installation on 2020 Civic Si?

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2004 Integra Type-R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello all,

I'm picking up my 2020 Civic Si tomorrow, and wanted to know if Honda Hack works on these newbies? In my 2017 Civic EX-T, I ultimately went with the Dasaita head because it allowed me to install some apps and the freedom of a better Android experience. However, the screen was REALLY difficult to see in full sunlight. So, my main goal is to be able to install a decent Android music app (like Poweramp, Musicolet, et cetera) to play my full collection of FLAC/OGG files from a USB drive. If I can do that, I will probably just keep the stock head for now.

Anybody have experience with it? Again, my main goal is the music app, so I'd be fine with an alternative to Honda Hack.

Thanks!
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hello all,

I'm picking up my 2020 Civic Si tomorrow, and wanted to know if Honda Hack works on these newbies? In my 2017 Civic EX-T, I ultimately went with the Dasaita head because it allowed me to install some apps and the freedom of a better Android experience. However, the screen was REALLY difficult to see in full sunlight. So, my main goal is to be able to install a decent Android music app (like Poweramp, Musicolet, et cetera) to play my full collection of FLAC/OGG files from a USB drive. If I can do that, I will probably just keep the stock head for now.

Anybody have experience with it? Again, my main goal is the music app, so I'd be fine with an alternative to Honda Hack.

Thanks!
Its Ironic that Honda GenX has one of the best Brightest Screen displays, and one of the oldest, slowest Android Hardware/Software unit driving it.

Until the 2020 GenX cars are out, and in the hands of "adventurous" owners, it will not be 100% clear if Honda Hack will work or need to be modified/updated by its Developer to take into account any changes Honda did on the 2020 head units.

Your Dasaita (or any other 3rd party head unit) will not work with the SI's Premium Audio system's Digital fed AMP, so if you fit such a unit, you are looking at a complete re-wiring of all the speakers, and the elimination of the Honda Premium Amp. and the loss of features like Head Unit info on the center of your Instrument Panel Display.

You should be able to keep the Honda head unit, Honda hack it, and install a decent FLAC/OGG player, keeping processor intensive apps like Google map, running over Android Auto (or the Apple Equivalent over Car play).

When I got my SI in 2018, from day I thought I needed to update the head Unit -- but over time, I have realized that the Honda head unit, despite it's "age", is the best "available" fit for the car, works as intended, does not need to be babied, and with Honda hack, and a sensible limitation of Apps installed directly on the Head unit, is the best solution, no matter how much money you think you can throw at it.

Once I stopped obsessing about what 3rd party head unit I should select to update to, and learnt to accept and work with the Honda's head Unit limitations, I started to enjoy the car significantly more.

So my advise. specifically to the OP, is to pick up the car, enjoy it "as is" for a few months, at least until it has been demonstrated by the Honda Hack developer, and other more eager Guinea pigs, that Honda Hack will work on the 2020 Si's head unit, and then, decide if you want to Honda Hack, and to install a decent Flac Player on the head unit.

I have a number of Premium & Non-Premium GenX Head Units, all Honda hacks, and they are quite capable of running a FLAC player

If you really feed the need to start modding the Entertainment system, I would strongly suggest the 1st step is to replace the Center Speaker - plenty of post on this subject here on the CivicX forum.

Then again -- It's your car -- so you do what you want, and whatever you think will makes you happy -- and I hope for you, that it does.

OP
OP

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the thoughtful reply! I wasn't entirely impressed with the Dasaita, and am not looking to put it into my new 2020 Si if I don't have to. The only thing that I want is a decent music player that can play my files. That's it. I know that playing from USB through the generic setup was abysmal, so I'm just hoping to install a better music player. If I'm not mistaken, that can be done with Developer Mode (provided the APK is installed via USB or other local method), and Developer Mode can be enabled in the same manner as with the Type R:

If that's the case, then I'm good without Honda Hack.

OP
OP

nathanzachary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes hondahack works with no problems I use it in my 2020 si sedan for the ktuner gauges and it works good. just search up on youtube how to do it.
Thanks for letting me know that it is working for you. I wish that there was a way to install an app without using HondaHack. It seems silly to root just for one app installation. Anyway, I did get a response from the developer who also indicated that it works just fine on the 2020s.

EconoBox

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for letting me know that it is working for you. I wish that there was a way to install an app without using HondaHack. It seems silly to root just for one app installation. Anyway, I did get a response from the developer who also indicated that it works just fine on the 2020s.
I can verify Honda Hack Pro works on the 2020 Civic. Yes, it sucks to root it to install just one program. No, I don't know of any other way to do it.

cmaiskillz

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback LX
Country flag
the new Dasaita's are pretty good, and can see perfect in the sunlight. =-)

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
I know this is an old thread but just googling "FLAC Android Auto" landed a few suggestions of audio player apps that you can install on your phone which support both FLAC and Android Auto. Those include VLC, Rocket Music Player & GoneMAD Music Player. I know that's not playing FLAC files off a USB drive, but as long as you have room for your FLAC files on your phone any of these apps might do the trick.

Sponsored