HONDA FULL SYNTHETIC or ULTIMATE FULL Synthetic? What do you recommend?

mayrel2015

First Name
Mayrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2018 Sedan
Country flag
Greetings to all, I just made an oil change to my Honda Civic 2018 EX-T, use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 and when I finished pouring the liquid I could see that at the bottom of the bottle had soiled dirt, the consumption performance of the low car at 26 mph, I'm worried because I do not know if the oil was contaminated, had a manufacturing date of 2016 !!, in case I'm just going to change the original Honda oil this weekend, and I was looking at there are two versions of 0w-20, what differences are there between the FULL SYNTHETIC and the ULTIMATE FULL SYNTHETIC? Which is better of the two? Thank you and waiting for you to help me.
Sponsored

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
Just switch back to any brand name 0W20 and you will be fine.

xmarleyx06

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Greetings to all, I just made an oil change to my Honda Civic 2018 EX-T, use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 and when I finished pouring the liquid I could see that at the bottom of the bottle had soiled dirt, the consumption performance of the low car at 26 mph, I'm worried because I do not know if the oil was contaminated, had a manufacturing date of 2016 !!, in case I'm just going to change the original Honda oil this weekend, and I was looking at there are two versions of 0w-20, what differences are there between the FULL SYNTHETIC and the ULTIMATE FULL SYNTHETIC? Which is better of the two? Thank you and waiting for you to help me.
Hey man, honestly any synthetic is good but Mobil1 is great. Don't read what half the internet mechanics out there say lol. As long as its changed on time, preferably a little early your good. Believe it or not, there is a guy I follow on youtube ( k20z3allmotorFTW ) who really knows his stuff and it got me curious when in his last video he was talking about running thicker oil. He mentions how Honda made a mistake with going with such a thin oil. I think he made ike 480Hp on stock block without ever opening the block.

Sorry to sidetrack. Good luck.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah ow20 is for gas mileage I might switch to 5w30 in the summer

baldheadracing

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20 and when I finished pouring the liquid I could see that at the bottom of the bottle had soiled dirt,.
That's not dirt. It is probably an additive that settled out; that happens all the time. Pennzoil just has a light-coloured bottle so you see it.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
That’s an additive fall out, well known fact with pennzoil and nothing to worry about. Just shake the jug really well next time you change.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I think the filter is just as important as the oil. I use the Honda ultimate full synthetic oil in my civic. But I also use the oem Honda filter made by Filtech. The proper filter is important so you get good filtration but also the proper flow. Some filters are more restrictive than others, so don’t go cheap on the filter lol. As far as oil, just make sure to use only full synthetic and you should be good.

Honda Civic 10th gen HONDA FULL SYNTHETIC or ULTIMATE FULL Synthetic? What do you recommend? 693244E3-FE4F-4974-B6E6-2666AAE44026

OP
OP

mayrel2015

First Name
Mayrel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX-T 2018 Sedan
Country flag
I think the filter is just as important as the oil. I use the Honda ultimate full synthetic oil in my civic. But I also use the oem Honda filter made by Filtech. The proper filter is important so you get good filtration but also the proper flow. Some filters are more restrictive than others, so don’t go cheap on the filter lol. As far as oil, just make sure to use only full synthetic and you should be good.

693244E3-FE4F-4974-B6E6-2666AAE44026.jpeg
Thank you! I've always used Honda's A01 filter and Pennzoil oil, for my next oil change I'll use the Honda original, or maybe the M1 that's cheap at Walmart. Thank you all for your patience and comments, I am more relieved to know that there are no problems with the oil, once again thank you!

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
You can pickup a gallon jug of Mobil 1 and their filter at Walmart, submit the Mobil 1 rebate and pay only ~$14 for your oil change. That’s what I’ll be doing for my first oil change this fall.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
so your saying you prefer to waste gas as opposed to saving gas?

what is the 5w30 going to do for you that the 0w20 can not do?
Give you better protection in the heat and hard driving of the summer and not come out of the engine looking like water after 5000 miles. And its not going to hurt your mpgs that you are wasting gas.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
This has been discussed ad nauseum. Engineers aren't the only ones making the decisions.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
engineers are smart people, they have taken what you have said into consideration and have made the decision that 0W20 is best for this engine,

i trust their opinion more then yours or mine
LMFAO, every damn thread seriously. Honda engineers are tasked with coming up the most efficient way to meet strict EPA standards while maintaining certain longevity that honda is shooting for. and thinner oils help meet those standards. And that works for a lot of civic drivers who just go about their business and dont care. Has nothing to do with whats best for your motor under the uses and conditions you actually use your car, rather whats best for Honda's bottom line and that means meeting EPA CAFE standards. Ill need to look for my honda proof, but even Toyota who now run 0-16 says higher viscosity is ok in hotter climate or higher speed driving .

Honda Civic 10th gen HONDA FULL SYNTHETIC or ULTIMATE FULL Synthetic? What do you recommend? upload_2019-4-15_12-3-11-

n2da2nd

It's Senor Bane to ya
First Name
Nam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

693244E3-FE4F-4974-B6E6-2666AAE44026.jpeg
I also use this for my car. Got the oil change package and have connection at the dealership so I always change the oil at 3k-mile interval and always help the tech for oil change.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
engineers are smart people, they have taken what you have said into consideration and have made the decision that 0W20 is best for this engine,

i trust their opinion more then yours or mine
Here you go, direct from the 2016+ Honda Civic owners manual. You'll notice it says recommended, which just like fuel recommendations. I think we all know the difference in recommended and required. I've highlighted the pertinent paragraph but I will point out "oil of SUITABLE viscosity for the ambient temperature shown" As you can see, 0-20 covers all temp ranges, just like 0-16 will only thinner. So if you live in a climate that is warmer and doesn't get to -20 degrees you can use a different viscosity for your climate. And if you research further, you will see 5w-30 covers those same temp ranges, looking at the second pic. So what does this tell us, they are thinning the oil for epa purposes but it protects for the same temp ranges.

Honda Civic 10th gen HONDA FULL SYNTHETIC or ULTIMATE FULL Synthetic? What do you recommend? upload_2019-4-22_11-16-58

Honda Civic 10th gen HONDA FULL SYNTHETIC or ULTIMATE FULL Synthetic? What do you recommend? upload_2019-4-22_11-28-40