First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did want to call this out as we're having a parallel discussion on TOV. It's believed that Honda runs a rich cycle during cold start. Leaning out the mixture a bit, and scaling back the operation of certain accessories, could help reduce the few extreme cases we're seeing on the CRVs.

It seems Honda is looking to have the engine warm up as quickly as possible while simultaneously reducing the intensity of fuel during the first few minutes of cold operation.
I did state later in that post that a software update could reduce the symptoms, but not eliminate (fix) them.
The only thing I expect that to do is limit boost before the car is up to temp, lean the A:F ratio until the car is to temp, and adjust the algorithm used to determine oil life. These changes will certainly effect the amount of dilution, but it will not remove it.
This is the only viable solution I can think of from the outside of those engineering meetings. If this is what they go with, the next forum posts will be "My car lost 50hp after dealership updated my software!!!"
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Based on feedback from several members who've already had it done, including @CivicChina , I think the CRV's ECU "fix" will be largely seamless. We can let him chime in on his experience.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Based on feedback from several members who've already had it done, including @CivicChina , I think the CRV's ECU "fix" will be largely seamless. We can let him chime in on his experience.
Here I am! I didn't notice any change after the update, maybe a slight reduction of the rev-hang but honestly I didn't see much difference in the oil situation too, I live in a warm climate which allows the engine to warm up quickly 90% of the year and the issue was very minor even before, so I guess the new map, which is designed just to make the engine go up in temperature, doesn't really make a difference in my case.
I didn't see any more angry CRV owners posting on social media, so I guess the situation is under control up north, where it is already cold.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Meh,

I am running TSP Stage 1 and get the oil red hot daily anyway and drive it even harder during the winter. Won't see an issue on my car

Plus Vit has said that the Honda OEM maps are trash. Bet the fix just makes Idle more accurate. Also the way they implement LTFT value's can contribute to this issue. Honda should use the same logic other automakers use not apply the same value to the entire RPM curve when only idle is affected.

Since running TSP stage 1 I don't get black soot baked on my exhaust tip. Wish I could turn of LTFT's though

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Plus Vit has said that the Honda OEM maps are trash.
Of course they're "bad." That's Value Prop 101 in the tuning industry. :D

I would expect a similar comment from anyone else, regardless of how good or bad the OEM map is. ;)

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Around 3000 Km after the recall and oil change the level is exactly the same, and today it didn't have any smell of gas!
I checked (as I always do) 5 minutes after turning off the engine, the level will go up a little when cold, to set at the max line.

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Delays CR-V Engine Fix but Details Rollout Plans WeChat Image_20181120140917

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Around 3000 Km after the recall and oil change the level is exactly the same, and today it didn't have any smell of gas!
I checked (as I always do) 5 minutes after turning off the engine, the level will go up a little when cold, to set at the max line.

WeChat Image_20181120140917.png

Yayyy Honda Yayyyyyy a company that cares about its customers.

civictrooper

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So is this update coming out to the states for the civics/si or just Canada crvs

TheCodifier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I received a notification today from my HondaLink app.

Campaign Id: N66
Campaign Description: Replace AC unit update PCM
Recall Date: 2018-11-27

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Well holy shit.
Someone’s HondaLink app works?
I’ll have to see if mine will connect; maybe I’ll have a Campaign notification too.

IDriveACivic

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag

I saw this too on the MyHonda portal!
Scheduled for an appointment next week.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
On Honda Canada's recall lookup portal I entered my VIN and it says there is 1 update notification -last month there was none- but a bug on their website prevents me from seeing the exact details of the recall. It's reasonable to assume that it's the AC and PCM update recall.

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On Honda Canada's recall lookup portal I entered my VIN and it says there is 1 update notification -last month there was none- but a bug on their website prevents me from seeing the exact details of the recall. It's reasonable to assume that it's the AC and PCM update recall.
I checked my VIN online too... and it shows a notification for AC & PCM update.
Like yourself, I couldn’t access it so I phoned my selling dealer whose service rep told me there are very few affected owners, but Honda Canada is doing them all anyway.

My dealer is booking for the 2nd week of December, takes about 3 hours I was told.

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
The supposed 'fix' is just a software update.

"To fix it, Honda will take the affected vehicles from model years 2016 to 2018 and update the software, change the engine oil, and replace the air conditioner control unit in certain vehicles.

Honda has said when this problem arose in China the software update fixed it, so they’re hoping the same can be done in North America. For Canadians, we are also getting a warranty extension for “up to six years from original purchase, with no mileage limit.”

Honda added, “The updates will allow the engine to warm up faster, improving fuel combustion and reducing oil dilution.”

The operation to fix the CR-Vs will take place in early November, with Civic to follow."

https://driving.ca/honda/auto-news/news/software-update-will-fix-honda-cr-v-and-civic-problems
Sponsored