Honda Delays CR-V Engine Fix but Details Rollout Plans

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
You're asking me if I have proof people changed their oil? Of course I don't.
Then you can't make the claim "Change your oil at appropriate times and you won't have an issue.".
I do however have proof that fuel dilution is not affecting the engine oils efficiency when oil is changed at or before maintenance minder.
But you don't. You can't use results of a few samples and conclude that every case will have the same results. It just does not work that way.
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Please provide us with the data you have that shows fuel in the oil is causing issues.

I've provided you my data that shows oil changes up to 10,000 miles old and +5% dilution are not critical. You can't refute my data with your lack of data. It just does not work that way.

Last edited:

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
It sounds like some people have beef against Honda Motors. Why, I cannot seem to figure out. I can understand those who actually suffer from the dilution issue and have had their car go into limp mode. But everyone else? Why?

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Please provide us with the data you have that shows fuel in the oil is causing issues.

I've provided you my data that shows oil changes up to 10,000 miles old and +5% dilution are not critical. You can't refute my data with your lack of data. It just does not work that way.
I don't need to provide proof as others already have, and Honda admits it's a problem.

Again, your "proof" is a small sample size. You can't conclude that every outcome will be like these. Ask a scientist. For one thing, they weren't don't under the same conditions.
:banghead:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It sounds like some people have beef against Honda Motors. Why, I cannot seem to figure out. I can understand those who actually suffer from the dilution issue and have had their car go into limp mode. But everyone else? Why?
It's like some people want their cars to be faulty. I don't get it.

I don't need to provide proof as others already have, and Honda admits it's a problem.

Again, your "proof" is a small sample size. You can't conclude that every outcome will be like these. Ask a scientist. For one thing, they weren't don't under the same conditions.
:banghead:
New
Again, I'm the only one with any data. You have conjecture.

What do you hope to accomplish here? Let's say you're right and all of our 1.5Ts are garbage. Congratulations, we all spent $20,000 on junk. That's what you want?

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag

New

What do you hope to accomplish here? Let's say you're right and all of our 1.5Ts are garbage. Congratulations, we all spent $20,000 on junk. That's what you want?
Give up man. You said it yourself. “This is a case of a bunch of people who don't understand what they are reading becoming outraged at something they don't understand.”

This thread is proof of your statement.

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag

New

:popcorn:
If I were you, I would ignore the people who have no clue how a car works. They seem to have too much time on their hands,
I mean they act like they designed the engines!!

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I'm trying to figure out if this is a real issue or much ado about nothing.

Oil-fuel dilution is a function of Direct Injection... all DI motors do this. BUT, some do it worse than others. For engines that have a higher incidence of this- it can be a bad thing for oil viscosity and hence wear over time.

So really my question is: is the Honda 1.5T worse than most (or the same or better) when it comes to this oil dilution phenomenon? A corollary is: is the CR-V 1.5T identical to the North American Civic 1.5T or just similar? If it's just mostly similar, would the differences make oil dilution more or less likely? Same question for the Civic Si engine which is slightly modified.

jeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 LX Hatch 6MT, 15 Forester Limited w/tech
Country flag
I'm trying to figure out if this is a real issue or much ado about nothing.

Oil-fuel dilution is a function of Direct Injection... all DI motors do this. BUT, some do it worse than others. For engines that have a higher incidence of this- it can be a bad thing for oil viscosity and hence wear over time.

So really my question is: is the Honda 1.5T worse than most (or the same or better) when it comes to this oil dilution phenomenon? A corollary is: is the CR-V 1.5T identical to the North American Civic 1.5T or just similar? If it's just mostly similar, would the differences make oil dilution more or less likely? Same question for the Civic Si engine which is slightly modified.
In all my research everyone with an UOA shows that the oil while diluted is other wise fine. You're correct, all DI motors will do this to some degree. I think that likely the L15B7 may be on the higher side of dilution but I've yet to see a reported failure on due to this issue. I do IT for a few big Honda dealers across the country and every tech I've spoken to agrees the issue is blown way out of proportion, the issue really is only with people doing short trips. As Snoopyslr said earlier, out cry demands attention so Honda is working on something.

I just did an oil change at 10% oil life yet, and my oil level was perfect, and no gas smell. However I make a point of taking my car on regular long drives.

Makes sense, that forum is full of old dudes that want to talk about CR-Vs.

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
the issue really is only with people doing short trips.
Unfortunately that's me. 98% of my driving is in-town and my commute to work is 6 miles. I almost never go anywhere else during the work week; so i'm looking at two 6 miles commutes each day. That's relatively tough on the engine so if anyone is going to have issues with the above it's going to be people like me.

I'm hoping that slightly more frequent oil changes will keep any viscosity loss and resultant wear to a minimum. I truly hope to be driving this car in 15-20 years (hopefully with original turbo).

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The MM accounts for your scenario and should automatically step up the OCIs for you. I might suggest putting that $30 into an oil sample vs. tossing into a potentially unnecessary oil change. :dunno:

And :rofl: at some of the comments in this thread. Talk about throwing the carriage before the horse. :D

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
As somebody who understands engines, has built engines, and designs cars for a living (3 years in fuel system design), I don't see any possibility of a "software update" fixing the mechanical problem direct injection inherently has with fuel dilution.
I did want to call this out as we're having a parallel discussion on TOV. It's believed that Honda runs a rich cycle during cold start. Leaning out the mixture a bit, and scaling back the operation of certain accessories, could help reduce the few extreme cases we're seeing on the CRVs.

It seems Honda is looking to have the engine warm up as quickly as possible while simultaneously reducing the intensity of fuel during the first few minutes of cold operation.
Sponsored