Anger Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    CR-V '19, HR-V '19
    #16 Anger, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Mini update on my fuel trims.

Despite having the stock intake installed, fuel trims remain negative. After googling, came across this paragraph:

" Excessive crankcase vapors or a flooded EVAP canister can also mimic excess fuel, especially at idle. If the oil hasn’t been changed in a long time, especially in an older engine with a bit of blow-by, fuel in the oil can drive total fuel trim negative. Often simply changing the oil will demonstrate this condition by returning the fuel trim numbers to normal."

This makes me think about the oil dilution issue. This is only the second winter I have the car but the first tuned and most importantly, the first when I monitor the engine. I had checked the oil levels two to three weeks ago and it was slightly overfilled but not concerning. At the time however, ambient temps were normal to high. I do a daily commute of 20 minutes/ 22 km and the car is warmed up properly only when I get to work and actually have to switch it off. The proper way of understanding if the engine is heated up is the oil temp, not the water temp. Since we cannot monitor oil temps, what I do is turn the heater on and see if the water temp drops. If it does, my guess is that the engine is not warm enough. I start driving after 1 minute when I do a cold start, drive very conservatively for 10-12 minutes and then drive slightly faster or a gear down for another 10 minutes when the weather is cold.

I have arranged for a full service next week (I do oil change at 5000-6000km max, now I have 30000km and will also do MTF, rear diff and spark plugs) but I will return the car to stock tomorrow and do the oil/oil filter change as soon as possible and see how things go. I will not unlock Ktuner from the car so I can monitor the engine on the factory maps.

UPDATE: Today I changed oil and oil filter. In theory, oil change filter included is 3.5 liters. We did 3.3, started the car for the filter to fill up and re checked. The dipstick showed it was missing 500ml which stroke as weird. Added another 200, still showed that it needed another 250ml. I did not add them. Stopped at 3.5 as the manual states.

I drove for only 3km back to work. The trims are already looking better. I will check for another 2 days and see how the trims go. First impression is that the fuel trims issue was caused by oil dilution.

UPDATE 2: Fuel trims with the stock airbox went back to normal. Only slightly negative. Reinstalled the PRL SRI and trims are also back to normal, dead 0 on highway with steady throttle and slightly negative in traffic. All I do now is let the car idle for 3 minutes instead of 1 after a cold start.

It seems that the issue was oil dilution. Tbh the ambient temps dropped back to 32-37F while my testing after the oil change it was about 45-50. Will keep monitoring.

2. OP
    OP
    Anger

Anger Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    CR-V '19, HR-V '19
    So today I installed the AEM intake for the CR-V 1.5T

Box arrived quite sooner than expected, nothing missing and great packaging!

Installation wasnt as quick as the PRL SRI obviously. Not too big of a hassle though. When I removed the stock airbox, I left the grommet on the spike where the stock airbox mounts. I though it was not removable. Turns out it is! Unfortunally it got "lost" as it probably fell off.

So whoever removes the stock airbox for an SRI, remember to remove the grommet also.

The box came with black and white instructions which are always welcome. The whole process of removing the PRL SRI (about 30 seconds) and installing the AEM intake did not take more than 15 minutes

Fotos below. Please pay attention to the second to last foto. The AEM box is metallic and quite sharp. It touches the cable that goes to the ECU. Due to the engine vibrations, this might trim the cable plastic cover. For this reason, I simply put a rubber piece in between so I dont have any issues in the future. A very nice touch is that there is a hole for inserting the stock MAF cable so it wont just float around.

Sound wise, the intake sounds nice when the throttle is open. It roars almost as much as the PRL. Fuel trims on the other hand do not seem to be as spot on as the PRL, but not too concerning. IATs are similar to stock, slightly lower maybe. Also, the turbo lag is reduced. The overall feeling and IATs are close to the stock airbox and the butt dyno doesnt feel a difference either with the PRL or the stock airbox. In any case the ganis are minimal so the butt dyno doesnt really work.

The blow off valve sound is gone, much like the stock airbox. I will give it a try without the lid to see how it sounds and how are the IATs.

My first impression after driving for only 7 miles is that this is a "summer" intake and the PRL SRI is a "winter" intake. To be honest, I am not sure that it is worth the money over the stock airbox since the sound is better only when you step on the throttle aggresively and while the IATs are in fact lower than the stock airbox, they do not match those of the PRL SRI when the weather is cold or the vehicle is mobile over 50mph.
    I will keep the lid on for a couple of days and then remove it to see the overall behaviour and sound.

Worst part for me is that the trims are not as spot on as those of the PRL.

aem1.jpg

aem2.jpg

aem3.jpg

aem4.jpg

aem5.jpg

aem6.jpg

aem7.jpg

aem8.jpg

aem9.jpg

aem10.jpg

aem11.jpg

aem12.jpg

aem13.jpg

3. OP
    OP
    Anger

Anger Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    CR-V '19, HR-V '19
    Tried also with the lid off. Blow off sound is there but not as loud. Without the lid, IATs are somewhere in between the SRI and the stock airbox.

Overall IATs behaviour is still closer to that of the stock airbox.

I would keep it without the lid as it seems to be the best combo for some heat shielding in traffic and sound and install the lid in summer BUT the trims are not very good.

Well in highway speeds the trims are within range, only slightly off compared to PRL. So not a real issue. In traffic though, trims are way more to the negative than PRL. With the SRI in stop and go traffic i d get STFT of down to -7 and of course the LFTF would follow but is general I d be within the total sum of "10" when adding STFT and LFTF. In highway speeds the PRL would be almost dead 0, so spot on.

For the AEM this is not the case. I started off with LFTF of -5 with the PRL and after 12 miles of AEM doing 50-65mph and 4 minutes of traffic, LTFT creeped down to -9...STFT in traffic is -5 to -9 and highway speeds -1 to -3.

I think the best solution is custom tuning the AEM. With the PRL I d say its not mandatory. Since I have two intakes, I should ideally have 2 custom tunes, one for PRL and one for AEM.

I ll leave it on for a few more days and then go back to PRL.

Now that I am truly done with intakes, I ll start the intercooler experiment. The CRV outlet pipe mounting joint is different than that of the civic. I ll order an OEM intercooler outlet pipe and the Injen intercooler. Then have both to an exhaust shop so we can make a custom mounting joint that fits the Injen and weld it on a pipe that maintains stock diameter and routing. The OEM piping looks like metal but could be aluminium so I dont know if we can cut it or not, so buying a spare one is the safest way to go at this point.

4. OP
    OP
    Anger

Anger Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    CR-V '19, HR-V '19
    If anyone wants to FULLY DISABLE VSA on their CRV, I can confirm that the infamous "pedal dance" works on the V as well.

MIND THAT THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED ON PUBLIC ROADS.

MEME2020-02-19-08-06-37.jpg

5. 604CRV

604CRV Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    2018 honda crv lx Canadian model
    Hey Anger.

I'm looking into the 27won turbo inlet pipe, and I was looking at our current setup and saw this part.

20200219_150414.jpg

20200219_145952.jpg

20200219_150607.jpg

6. OP
    OP
    Anger

Anger Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    CR-V '19, HR-V '19
    I am also interested in the Turbo inlet pipe. I saw the update on the 27WON blog. I hope it will fit ours as well. They said they ll release more info next week although I fear it will be really expensive.

That hose is also present on the Si as well as the 27WON turbo inlet pipe. You can see it in the first foto of their part4 blog post. I think it leads back to the intake charge pipe, its propably for recerculating excessive air.

7. 604CRV

604CRV Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    2018 honda crv lx Canadian model
  8. OP
    OP
    Anger

Anger Senior Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Car(s):
    CR-V '19, HR-V '19
    Based on the PRL blog, it is probably an evaporation port. I guess with have to wait for both companies to release their inlet pipes and then choose! Both fit the stock or drop-in turbochargers but both should also fit stock or any aftermarket intake. I will look further if PRL dropped any hint about ETA on this. I guess my choice will be based on a combination of release date and pricing. I am certain that both of them do an awesome job.