Honda Civic Type-R Over sticker dealer naughty list.

jtrown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Civic Hybrid, 2010 Accord Crosstour, Rallye Red CTR
Ladies and gentlemen I think the MSRP deal is dead and buried when it comes to the R. Every day this forum thread seems to turn into a bloodbath of reality that's not going to get better. The first post on the thread pretty much summed things up for most of the country. Even dealers that claim such turns out to be an auction with non refundable bids or 5k or more added accessories. And If anyone thinks this is bad just wait for the second wave or the 2018 cars.

I'm not saying that people who are extremely good fisherman won't be able to find an MSRP deal but it will be a far and few in between. Honda America made the limited numbers just so this could happen. Honda loves its customers but it loves it dealers more. I passed by the dealer where I picked up my car and I thought the salesmen was going to take the car hostage. Everybody there from the SM to the guy who detailed the car acted like I'd abducted their child that I'd stolen their cash cow. And looking at this thread it seems every dealer feels the same.

There's a lot of dealers who don't know when they'll get another car so racking up the profit on the car they have is just business in their eyes. The car is their child and people are going to pay high child support to drive it off the lot. I still say the best deals will be the folks who fall out of love with the car or those who bit off just a little more than they can chew. But Who Am I Too Judge.

ShaneP865

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Aegean Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is so sad to see all the excitement and enthusiasm before the embargo release, turn into disappointment and anguish.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
Ladies and gentlemen I think the MSRP deal is dead and buried when it comes to the R. Every day this forum thread seems to turn into a bloodbath of reality that's not going to get better. The first post on the thread pretty much summed things up for most of the country. Even dealers that claim such turns out to be an auction with non refundable bids or 5k or more added accessories. And If anyone thinks this is bad just wait for the second wave or the 2018 cars.
wait it out if you don't need a new car right away. I also lurk the Focus RS forums. Guys that went head deep in to debt buying the Focus RS and paid 50k with mark up are wondering why their cars is only worth 32k in trade in a year later. Let the hype die down, its just a car.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
It is so sad to see all the excitement and enthusiasm before the embargo release, turn into disappointment and anguish.
disappointments and frustration. I'm not even asking for msrp and can't find one lol.

The dealers I've bought cars and dealt with in the past who I thought were nice people have just turned into your typical dealers.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Welp here's my embarrassing video.
Good video, no way you should pull your deposit. Contact your local news and probably a consumer law expert/lawyer. Force the dealers hand here.

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
They ever so kindly "offered" me my nonrefundable deposit back yesterday. GM got straight pissy with me when I said no thanks I'll stick with my msrp agreement and deposit down.
Don't give in but keep searching around the country for a better deal. I agree with TypeRGuru, search for another dealer, but don't take your money yet until you find another one. Tweet this out to Honda Customer Service.

TypeR's are sitting on lots already due to ADM. Look around and some of those paying these markups are actually companies who want one to R&D. I know of 4 already who bought one for $50K, they'll make that back easily with whatever product they put out there.

FK8 Twigs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #01007
Country flag
I tend to disagree with this. Honda is not stupid, I think they have done their market research, I think we are just seeing these cars trickle in and everyone is going nuts already. I looked on auto trader last night and there were already 20-25 type Rs posted within 200 miles of my location.. this gives me hope. And half of the other random dealers I called hadn't even gotten theirs yet.. so there will be more coming. Let's see what happens in a few more weeks/months time.. as more cars start making their way here, more surface online, etc. the supply may start to catch up with demand. If Honda wanted this to be so exclusive they would have priced it at 45K themselves.. and they'd be getting those profits, not the dealers. Thats not what they did though, that's not the point of this car (I don't think, but hey I am only speculating)

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
I tend to disagree with this. Honda is not stupid, I think they have done their market research, I think we are just seeing these cars trickle in and everyone is going nuts already. I looked on auto trader last night and there were already 20-25 type Rs posted within 200 miles of my location.. this gives me hope. And half of the other random dealers I called hadn't even gotten theirs yet.. so there will be more coming. Let's see what happens in a few more weeks/months time.. as more cars start making their way here, more surface online, etc. the supply may start to catch up with demand. If Honda wanted this to be so exclusive they would have priced it at 45K themselves.. and they'd be getting those profits, not the dealers. Thats not what they did though, that's not the point of this car (I don't think, but hey I am only speculating)
Honda will sell as many as they can pump out. Think about this, if people are willing to pay up to $50K why are these cars still on the lots? It's the 3rd week of rollout, and on top of that you still have the used market that will start here in about 3 months, especially those who get the first batch with issues that they get tired of.

bombarde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
They ever so kindly "offered" me my nonrefundable deposit back yesterday. GM got straight pissy with me when I said no thanks I'll stick with my msrp agreement and deposit down.
Good for sticking to your guns. I think you hold a lot of cards here. You have a deal in force and money changed hands. I'm sure there are also signed papers.

This dealer has a potential PR debacle if they try the go back on their deal now and word gets out in your community. What is their reputation worth to them?

If they want one to decorate their floor, they should do that with the next one that comes in. But they need to honor the deal they made with you.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was saying months ago ADM was going to be a thing and people said no way. I said months ago, people with MSRP agreements better hope they have a set in stone agreement bc dealers are going to back out of these deals. I said months ago it will be temporary, some idiots will pay it which is why dealers will get away with ADM to start. We are what, 1.5 weeks into deliveries. Give it 3 months and these bad boys will be MSRP all over the country. Its sad some that had deals are getting screwed, but just as we are here complaining about it, dealers have people on this site too and see that others are charging ungodly ADMs. If you had a written agreement you might have a case but those with verbals and over the phone credit card deposits, you are just out of luck. Patience is a virtue, have patience and it will work out
Sponsored