Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Aug 2, 2016 - TORRANCE, Calif.
  • American Honda sets new all-time record for total truck sales and a July record for total vehicle sales
  • Honda Division truck sales reach an all-time monthly high with 68,518 sold, an increase of 12.2 percent
  • Honda CR-V shatters all-time monthly record on sales of 36,017, a 13.3 percent increase
  • Honda Civic sets new July record; joined by the Accord with sales of over 31,000 units
  • New 2017 MDX and NSX deliveries boost Acura in July

American Honda Motor Co., Inc. today reported July sales of 152,799 Honda and Acura vehicles, a 4.4 percent gain over last July and a new July record. Total American Honda truck sales set a new all-time monthly record of 77,740 sales to jump 10.1 percent. The Honda Division set a new July total vehicle sales record, rising 5.9 percent on sales of 139,125, while Honda trucks set an all-time monthly record with a 12.2 percent increase on sales of 68,518 vehicles. Honda car sales were up 0.4 percent for the month, netting 70,607 sales. The Acura Division, though gaining momentum with the launch of key new models, posted July sales of 13,674, a decrease of 8.3 percent versus last year.

Honda
With strong retail customer demand driving Honda's record U.S. production in the first half of 2016, Honda sales posted another record in July with continued strong demand for both cars and trucks. CR-V shattered its all-time sales record while the new Ridgeline pickup had a strong first full month of sales even as production continues to ramp up. Pilot and HR-V also were up as Honda trucks set a new all-time sales mark for the month. The new Civic continued its remarkable run with another record month in July.
  • CR-V sales rose to an all-time monthly record of 36,017 sales in July, an increase of 13.3 percent over last year
  • The Honda Civic broke a July sales record set in 2013, rising 5.8 percent on sales of 32,952 units
  • Accord sales again topped 30,000 units, keeping sales of Honda's three core models on track to top 1,000,000 units for the fourth consecutive year
  • Increases for both Fit and HR-V topped 25 percent in July while Pilot gained 8 percent

"The strong cadence of new Honda products we continue to bring to market has created extraordinary retail demand that is unprecedented in our history," said Jeff Conrad, senior vice president and general manager of the Honda Division. "With the Civic Hatchback on the way along with our step-by-step effort to fortify our truck business, we will continue to grow our sales through individual car buyers."

Acura
The Acura brand's renewed commitment to Precision Crafted Performance continues to take shape in dealer showrooms with the first deliveries of the all-new Acura NSX and the refreshed 2017 Acura MDX – the first model to reflect the new design direction that debuted with the Acura Precision Concept. On the market just five weeks, the newly-refreshed 2017 MDX posted strong sales of 4,902 units in July despite inventory issues related to the ramp-up of production. The NSX has brought high energy and excitement to Acura showrooms as the world's first customers of NSX begin to take delivery of the only supercar made in America.

"The first deliveries of the all-new Acura NSX are electrifying Acura showrooms and generating tremendous excitement for all Acura customers," said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda. "Showcasing the Acura brand's new design direction, the 2017 MDX is the next step in our commitment to deliver on Precision Crafted Performance."

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Civic Breaks All-Time July Sales Record jul17sales
Sponsored

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
While this is fantastic news for Honda's core sales segments in the US...WTF is it going to take to revitalize Acura??!?! Is it wrong that I find the 2008 TL much more attractive than the current TL?

*sigh*

viledevastation

While this is fantastic news for Honda's core sales segments in the US...WTF is it going to take to revitalize Acura??!?! Is it wrong that I find the 2008 TL much more attractive than the current TL?

*sigh*
I think a lot of the current Acura's are ugly as hell. And with the way Honda is going (features, looks, and quality-wise), I see no point in even considering one unless you want a non-CVT non-Manual transmission.

holtbest12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan

*sigh*
If Acura released a new RSX-S, I would buy one in a heartbeat. It doesn't even have to be a new design. Just bring back the exact same car sold in 2006, add a few safety enhancements and I'll pay to have a RSX-S with zero miles on it. If not that, then add the Civic SI with leather. That would probably sell pretty well.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag

*sigh*
I feel like the Acura brand is pretty much all the same car, when you compare the ILX, TL and RLX they are almost visually identical (exterior and interior) to one another. I also feel the same way about Infiniti. The thing is though, Acura just feels like it doesn't offer much over say a fully loaded Accord. Sure you have SH-AWD on some models; but is that really worth the added cost? The Acura lineup just feels so boringly homogeneous and they're trying to command such a high price point that doesn't make sense when compared to the competition.

Also doesn't help that Acura always seems to rank so low when it comes to predicted reliability.

Lexus you have the F-Sport lineup and the models definitely feel like more of an upgrade over a fully loaded Camry, Lexus just feels much more refined and "worth it". Audi same thing definitely feels more upgraded than a Passat or CC.

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I feel like the Acura brand is pretty much all the same car, when you compare the ILX, TL and RLX they are almost visually identical (exterior and interior) to one another. I also feel the same way about Infiniti. The thing is though, Acura just feels like it doesn't offer much over say a fully loaded Accord. Sure you have SH-AWD on some models; but is that really worth the added cost? The Acura lineup just feels so boringly homogeneous and they're trying to command such a high price point that doesn't make sense when compared to the competition.

Also doesn't help that Acura always seems to rank so low when it comes to predicted reliability.

Lexus you have the F-Sport lineup and the models definitely feel like more of an upgrade over a fully loaded Camry, Lexus just feels much more refined and "worth it". Audi same thing definitely feels more upgraded than a Passat or CC.
As has been noted before in the forum, there's really no compelling reason to buy an ILX over a Civic touring. You'd probably save $4,500.00 at least and feel quite satisfied with your purchase. Are you really getting that much more from a 2016 TL rather than a 2016 Accord EX-L V6? Don't get me wrong, I like luxury cars, but Acura just doesn't seem that compelling anymore, especially with your Audi/VW comparison.

Probably shouldn't use a tag line from an out-of-business auto maker, but Acura does need to build some excitement.

OTOH, I love my EX-T! Never liked leather seats in cars (in my living room they're great!) which will be problematic if I can afford my current dream car in the future.

Last edited:

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I am happy to be part of history as I took ownership of a Civic Touring last week :)

Don't totally understand the overall lack of love for Acura. Never have. I have always been a big Acura fan - having personally owned a 1992 Integra, a 1999 CL, a 2001 CL and a 2011 TL. They were all awesome, well built automobiles.

However, there was always one constant theme in all of them, which I assume is going to carry over more so with my new Civic...

"Wow, I didn't expect ______ to be so nice!"

I would hear that all the time when people got into my Acuras - and I know that is going to happen with the Civic too. In fact when I was shopping for a new car and ultimately decided the Civic Touring was it, the response from my wife was, "why are you getting so excited about a Civic?"

So, perhaps Honda / Acura is fumbling the ball when it comes to marketing and the general population doesn't get that Acura is as upscale as it is. And if they are not buying Acura, then what are they buying? Are people brainwashed into thinking that if they want an upscale, luxury car that they have to go BMW, Audi, etc. and Lexus and that Acura is never part of their thought process?

I don't feel it is pricing per se as we all know you get a lot of bang for your buck when it comes to Honda / Acura.

I suspect it might have something to do with the Acura overall styling. They (Acura) went through a phase where all their models had the pronounced "beak" that more people hated than loved - my 2011 TL being one of those models. I feel like they have turned a corner on styling as I do like the looks of the new TLX. And it wasn't too long ago where the 3rd generation TL (??) was all over the place. So they have it in them to make a nice looking car.

RC

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
As has been noted before in the forum, there's really no compelling reason to buy an ILX over a Civic touring. You'd probably save $4,500.00 at least and feel quite satisfied with your purchase. Are you really getting that much more from a 2016 TL rather than a 2016 Accord EX-L V6? Don't get me wrong, I like luxury cars, but Acura just doesn't seem that compelling anymore, especially with your Audi/VW comparison.
I agree. One could argue, currently, that the Civic is a "nicer" car than the ILX. I briefly considered the ILX as well but didn't see a reason to pursue it after checking out the Civic.

Perhaps Honda is making their cars too nice now and the dividing line between Honda / Acura is much more blurry than say Toyota / Lexus which appears much more defined.

RC

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I am happy to be part of history as I took ownership of a Civic Touring last week :)

Don't totally understand the overall lack of love for Acura. Never have. I have always been a big Acura fan - having personally owned a 1992 Integra, a 1999 CL, a 2001 CL and a 2011 TL. They were all awesome, well built automobiles.

I suspect it might have something to do with the Acura overall styling. They (Acura) went through a phase where all their models had the pronounced "beak" that more people hated than loved - my 2011 TL being one of those models. I feel like they have turned a corner on styling as I do like the looks of the new TLX. And it wasn't too long ago where the 3rd generation TL (??) was all over the place. So they have it in them to make a nice looking car.

RC
Two good friends bought Integras right after college in the late 90's. One was new, the other used, and I totally loved them. Too poor to buy one myself at the time. I absolutely lusted after the 2004 TL. Yeah, maybe people just don't associate Acura as a "true" luxury brand. A buddy picked up a new 535i last year and he totally didn't even consider Acura. Maybe it's as simple (or complex) as marketing?

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
I actually liked my friend's used (93 model bought in 98) Integra more than the "new" version at the time:

Honda Civic 10th gen Honda Civic Breaks All-Time July Sales Record 1993-acura-integra-gs-1

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Acura really just feels like the test brand for Honda's new tech before they ship it over to their more mainstream models. Really, there's so few people that would buy a $60k RLX and think it was money well-spent.

You're right, whereas Honda is now attempting to get their brand and image back to their former glory and build more stylistically and dynamically interesting cars, Acura just exists.

When the Accord gets its '18 redesign, the TLX's slow sales are gonna take a sharp nosedive.

The more I think about it - Acura is like Lincoln. No brand cachet a la Audi/Mercedes/BMW either.

Interesting with the #s - looks like the Civic is starting to cannibalize some of the Accord's sales.

Last edited:

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
If Acura released a new RSX-S, I would buy one in a heartbeat. It doesn't even have to be a new design. Just bring back the exact same car sold in 2006, add a few safety enhancements and I'll pay to have a RSX-S with zero miles on it. If not that, then add the Civic SI with leather. That would probably sell pretty well.
That's exactly why I'm still driving my 2004 RSX-S. I bought it new in November 2003 and I still haven't found a worthy replacement. A Civic Si 2.0T is my only hope!

Funny thing is, the RSX-S looks better on the road today than it did when I bought it, with its sharp, mean-looking, wedge-shaped front end. Nothing else looks like it anymore now that the idiotic EU car design regulations have forced minimum hood heights on all cars, under the bizarre notion that it somehow hurts pedestrians less. Hey, why don't these morons just look both ways before they cross the street like I learned at age 4, instead of destroying car design aesthetics? All new 'world' cars now look like 2 box, bricks-on-wheels. Honda did their best to make the new Civic front end look sleek, but the hood still looks somewhat bulbous and bulging to me. Thanks big nanny-state government! :mad:

daschtick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 TSX, '00 MR2, '13 Focus ST
As has been noted before in the forum, there's really no compelling reason to buy an ILX over a Civic touring.....I like luxury cars, but Acura just doesn't seem that compelling anymore.
I am in this camp. We are looking to upgrade from our '05 TSX, but the Civic has better styling, MORE FEATURES, BETTER MILEAGE, does not require premium fuel, and COSTS LESS than either the ILX and TLX.

Acura has a real problem on their hands (-9%) overall, with the new TLX already tanking in sales after the fairly recent release (-14%) YTD. Nothing ground breaking here - Conservative styling, weak on features unless you order the top spec AWD V6, mediocre mileage. Now the new Accord looks better than the TLX.

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
I am in this camp. We are looking to upgrade from our '05 TSX, but the Civic has better styling, MORE FEATURES, BETTER MILEAGE, does not require premium fuel, and COSTS LESS than either the ILX and TLX.

Acura has a real problem on their hands (-9%) overall, with the new TLX already tanking in sales after the fairly recent release (-14%) YTD. Nothing ground breaking here - Conservative styling, weak on features unless you order the top spec AWD V6, mediocre mileage. Now the new Accord looks better than the TLX.
Totally agree. Honda may as well just lay the Acura line to rest since they have already destroyed it anyway.

I remember 10 years ago an Acura executive said they killed the RSX because it wasn't upscale enough for the brand's image, yet they've done absolutely nothing to improve their image since. The latest car stylings are hideous IMO (I really liked the first and second gen TSX).

ThrillHill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
This is gonna sound weird but I think whoever is the head design group took design language too far. Meaning, yeah, you want your cars to have a similar look, but you can take it too far and have everything look homogeneous, which could be perceived as bland. Mercedes has a modern, sleek, mature style, Bimmers have a sophisticated sportiness. Lexus has done well the past few years with their edgy (i.e. lots of angles) look. Acura is obviously not a bad brand as such, just doesn't seem to appeal on an emotional level to people. At least, just one random internet dude's opinion on their (lack of) sales.

EDIT: Maybe the Apple effect? Cars aren't like smartphones/laptops/tablets. I don't think that homogeneous/industrial style works for cars the same way. There needs to be more differentiation IMO.
Sponsored