Homelink/Dimming mirror install?

few35t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR CTR, 2010 Civic Si
Country flag
Interested in this is well, was pretty disappointed it didn't come standard with one.

jpmelfi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR #706, 07 S2k
Country flag
I personally am not a fan of auto dimming mirrors, the idea of them is cool, and when they do what they are supposed to they are great, but I feel there are times when I wish they would dim, and they do not. And the fact that I am unable to force it to dim is really annoying.

I did post a quick guide to a homelink install a month or so ago.

http://www.civicx.com/threads/homelink-install.13221/

OP
OP

atombomb33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R #341
Thanks for the link and DIY. I'll look into that option as well.

kered424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/ Honda Sensing
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry for bringing up an old thread. Just wanted to throw my two cents in to help with others who's also looking into this option.
I wanted to add homelink to my car as well, and I thought getting the mirror would be the easiest route. However, if you do a bit of research, the Civics with sensing need a mirror with a longer neck to clear the sensing hardware. I bought one anyway, just to see if I can hack it to work. Nope, not enough space. Luckily, I didn't waste any money and just put it into my wife's CR-V. I did run into one issue, however, when installing it. I thought that I had all the necessary wires in the map light compartment, and I was wrong. There's no issue finding ground and constant +12V, but I did have issue finding a +12V that is ignition controlled. I didn't want the auto-dimming (and compass) to be on while the car is off. I did find a few wires that were +9, but when I tapped into them, the voltage dropped and it wasn't enough to power the auto-dimming (and compass). If I truly wanted to make the auto-dimming and compass to turn on with the ignition, I'd have to pull a wire all the way down to the fuse box. That being said, this was in a CR-V, and not a Civic, but they all look the same up there.

Just letting yall know in case yall were looking into this method.

I ended up doing the method that the above poster posted. Here's the final result, and I'm super happy with it.
Honda Civic 10th gen Homelink/Dimming mirror install? Gj8Gl-10-Qg3ynwMdkI60BAhcowHVxoNWYELg6UosuUeqK_nqvGw2I9ZkycW7cxGAnv32Z-Qxg1b-cljZRw=w708-h944-no

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I installed an auto dimming mirror myself, without homelink (because I got the mirror for free from a friend).

I knew I needed to do this change upon the first night drive I did in my CTR. My last 3 cars having it, I forgot how blinding pickups are...

Was a very easy/straight forward install, ran my dashcam wire at the same time. I lost 20 minutes fishing around for a screw I dropped straight down into the seat rail from the map light assembly, and easily lost 20 minutes trying to access the factory ground bolt (I gave up and grounded somewhere else :p)

Krisis52

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
Dealer had it in stock and got it installed when i purchased the car. Think it was only like 50 bucks for the install.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey, I have had one of those Gentex in a past car, a 370Z.
The mirror worked well but i found myself constantly having to adjust it "up" just a fraction of an inch. Even though it felt "tight" on the ball mount over time it would slowly start to move downward. The OEM mirror never did that. Other than that it looked fantastic and the Homewlink/Dimming worked well. Easy to install to0.
I've not installed one on my CTR because I remember that irritating drooping-for lack of better word. The OEM mirror in my CTR stays where I put it,

Res0zsfa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona N, CTR, G35 (sold), 01 s2k, 370z (sold)
Country flag
As part of my car purchase agreement, the dealer said they will install a auto dimming mirror with homelink. Took it into the dealer today and they said I have to switch out the windshield. It’s covered under warranty but I think it’s ridiculous that a dealer service rep doesnt even know how to properly install this thing. I’m sure they worked on civics before and I feel like they should have known that the rear view mirror was attached to the windshield with a metal bracket or some sort.
pic:
Honda Civic 10th gen Homelink/Dimming mirror install? 919F6F6A-B4EF-4E07-AC8A-B8D589155962
I
I’ll pick up the car 3 days from now
Sponsored