First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Having just done a track day at Daytona (with 80 degree ambient temp), I can confirm what a lot of people have said on here before. The speed of the track and the ambient temperature matters. At Daytona, I was hitting 155mph, which gave the car plenty of airflow to keep temps in check. When I was able to string a couple fast laps together, the temps would start to climb noticeably on my ktuner readout, but never enough for the gauge cluster temp indicator to noticeably move. At a slower track, it would almost certainly overheat after a few laps at 80 degree ambient. For most people running HPDEs, I think the stock cooling system is perfectly adequate (just being stuck behind a slower car long enough to get a point-by lowers temps dramatically). If you plan to do time attacks in a warm climate and push the car hard for multiple laps in a row, you are going to need to upgrade it.
good info. So at what temp do you start to worry for these engines? I don't think I ever saw anything more than 220 once on my ktuner when I had it.
Sponsored

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PRL is Bar & Plate
HKS is Tube & Fin
On a side note, I loved my PRL intercooler.
IMO...PRL makes amazing products and had zero complaints.
I replaced my intercooler because I current run the HKS LegaMax exhaust and I like the idea/theme of running all the same manufacture components.
HKS Intake system and the DP/SP combo coming next!
that's funny, that's exactly why I planned to get HKS IC, if I got one...love my legamax and figured, why not, just HKS my ctr

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
good info. So at what temp do you start to worry for these engines? I don't think I ever saw anything more than 220 once on my ktuner when I had it.
I'm not sure exactly what is safe, but I would start to lay off around 240F. I think the highest I saw mine on track was 230F for a few seconds, but it quickly fell back to between 200-220 which it stayed for most of the event. Half a lap at slower speeds would drop it back to the normal 185F or so.

I'm going on the assumption that if the ECU isn't pulling timing or putting the car in limp mode and I don't notice the thermostat gauge climbing much, it's probably fine. I think modern engines with modern synthetic oil can handle quite a bit more heat than engines used to be able to.

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
PRL is Bar & Plate
HKS is Tube & Fin
On a side note, I loved my PRL intercooler.
IMO...PRL makes amazing products and had zero complaints.
I replaced my intercooler because I current run the HKS LegaMax exhaust and I like the idea/theme of running all the same manufacture components.
HKS Intake system and the DP/SP combo coming next!
Was there a noticeable weight difference?
Would you say the performance is similar?

Thanks so much for posting this.

OP
OP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M3CS / 2017 Chevy Tahoe Z71
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was there a noticeable weight difference?
Would you say the performance is similar?

Thanks so much for posting this.
Unfortunatley I did not weight the units seperatly but can tell you that I did not notice a difference between handling them.
Yes, my guess is that performance is similar.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am planning to buy HKS IC as well...how do you like it so far? Why do you sell the pipe kit ? Is stock pipe good enough?

Last edited:

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, you have to cut the plastic trim around the OEM intercooler to allow clearance for the taller & wider HKS intercooler.
Very easy to do with a box cutter.

Comes with the template included.
I did not paint mine.

IMG_8534.jpg
nice IC !! i noticed that you have the BOV.. what does it do other than making woosh... does it make this engine run rich like how bov does for 1.5 civic??

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I heard it also causes stalling...so why run it? Just curious...if it doesn't run right, I wouldn't use it.

Surprised HKS just sells it like that, crazy.
the stalling or the rpm dip when revving is the result of the maf metering air from the bov. (a rich condition)

people use it cause they want the sound. Why do ppl use a hot air intake when its known to cause high IATs? because of sound.

anti lag is known to make a window mod to the block and you see people using it cause they want the pops and bangs (sound) lol.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
the stalling or the rpm dip when revving is the result of the maf metering air from the bov. (a rich condition)

people use it cause they want the sound. Why do ppl use a hot air intake when its known to cause high IATs? because of sound.

anti lag is known to make a window mod to the block and you see people using it cause they want the pops and bangs (sound) lol.
Aint you suppose to get the sound too with cold air intake? I dont want the bov sound if the car will run rich?

I have prl cobra with my sport hatch, it sounds amazing and make me step on it all day long.. i dont get why people buy roomba bov ... i thought maybe hks bov wont cause the same problem..

FriscoBrah

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Championship White Civic Type R
Country flag

It sucks because the sound of a BOV is so nice.
Sponsored