First Name
ELIAS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I bought this Si Coupe. My first manual car. Scared as shit in the beginning but learned to drive manual by myself through you tube videos. Drove the car home based off youtube, hehe. Anyway, the salesmen constantly assured me this car doesn't have a hill start feature. My first time learning to start uphill was with traffic, how stupid of me. Anyway, I learned how to do it without assist or needing a E-Brake. I gave the car to my uncle to put tints on the sucker.

Now the car actually holds on hills FOR ME. Did he touch something I didn't know about?

Answers PLEASE. btw, brake hold is off. I don't like it.
Sponsored

RODSCIVIC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Acura MDX 2016 Focus ST 2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
Yup....it does have hill start. Salesman told me the same crap. "You have to use brake hold"...No you don't...

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Sorry for the dumb question but is hill start automatic? As in I don't have to press anything to start it, it just holds? And does it work on slight inclines or only steep hills? I could have sworn I rolled back when I was on an incline the other day. Maybe I was imagining it though. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, heh.

rushwal

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hill assist works on medium grades from what I've heard. On a slight incline, you will roll back. Someone has said that on really steep inclines, the Hill assist won't hold.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Welcome to the family!

Based on the responses, I'm sure you can tell that car salesmen are pretty hit or miss (usually miss) when it comes to knowing their stuff. Best to just research it online before you buy and then give the owner's manual a good once-over when you've got some time to kill.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
You people are tweaking my OCD this morning by calling various features by the wrong name. Let me clarify some things. :)

Hill Start Assist System
This feature holds hydraulic brake pressure to the service brakes for up to two seconds when you stop on an incline. It's always ready to activate and cannot be turned off. The purpose of this feature is to keep you from rolling backwards (or forwards) when you're taking off after stopping on an incline.

Automatic Brake Hold
This feature holds hydraulic brake pressure to the service brakes for up to ten minutes after you stop. In order for it to activate, you have to turn it on every time the vehicle is started by pushing the BRAKE HOLD button. The purpose of this feature is to allow you to remove your foot from the brake pedal when stopped for longer periods of time such as at a long red light or in slow drive-through. After ten minutes, Brake Hold will release and automatically apply the Electronic Parking Brake.

Brake Assist System
This feature monitors the speed and force at which you apply the brakes. When a "panic stop" is detected, the ABS automatically applies full braking force. This feature is always ready to activate and cannot be turned off.

The Civic Si has all of these features.

Last edited:

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You people are tweaking my OCD this morning by calling various features by the wrong name. Let me clarify some things. :)

Hill Start Assist System
This feature holds hydraulic brake pressure to the service brakes for up to two seconds when you stop on an incline. It's always ready to activate and cannot be turned off. The purpose of this feature is to keep you from rolling backwards (or forwards) when you're taking off after stopping on an incline.

Automatic Brake Hold
This feature holds hydraulic brake pressure to the service brakes for up to ten minutes after you stop. In order for it to activate, you have to turn it on every time the vehicle is started by pushing the BRAKE HOLD button. The purpose of this feature is to allow you to remove your foot from the brake pedal when stopped for longer periods of time such as at a long red light or in slow drive-through. After ten minutes, Brake Hold will release and automatically apply the Electronic Parking Brake.

Brake Assist System
This feature monitors the speed and force at which you apply the brakes. When a "panic stop" is detected, the ABS automatically applies full braking force.

The Civic Si has all of these features.

Can I disable all of these?

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
You people are tweaking my OCD this morning by calling various features by the wrong name.
Heh, I had to resist that exact same urge yesterday when I saw the thread... :)

...for up to two seconds
Hmm, where did you get that number from? Not seeing any time limits mentioned in the manual...

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Hmm, where did you get that number from? Not seeing any time limits mentioned in the manual...
The owner's manual says, "Hill start assist keeps the brake engaged briefly to help prevent the vehicle from rolling on inclines as you move your foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator."

The service information says, "The hill start assist assists drivers by automatically controlling brake pressure when starting a vehicle on a steep hill; this assist prevents the vehicle from rolling on a hill for a few seconds while moving the driver's foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal."

The Civic Si press release says, "Hill Start Assist, when activated, will release the brakes when the driver depresses the throttle or if the driver doesn't press the accelerator after a few seconds."

The Civic Type R press release says, "Hill Start Assist, when activated, will release the brakes when the driver depresses the throttle or if the driver doesn't press the accelerator after a couple of seconds."

My Ridgeline's Hill Start Assist System holds for two seconds. I've never timed it in the Civic Si.

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, by pulling the ABS/VSA fuse(s) which has the side effects of decreased safety and a host of warning lights and messages.

Hate there isn't another option, these are very annoying. I do not want all the aids, been driving a manual for 15 years and prefer to to be in control.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, 2015 FR-S, 2016 RAV4 Hybrid
Country flag
My Si is my first manual as well, and if it weren't for hill assistant, I wouldn't have even bought it. There are a few steep hills that I have to commute through heavy traffic on a daily basis. I'm at a point where I probably don't need it anymore, but it's a reassuring feature.
Sponsored