First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R #18323
Country flag
Hello,

I'm seriously looking at buying a CTR within the next month or two. A bunch of dealers in my area seem to have new stock so I think I have a good shot. The trouble is that none of them will let me test drive. So I was hoping that those who have CTRs can help me out.

For background info: this car will be my only car and daily driver. Every 2 weeks I make the drive between Toronto and Ottawa to visit my girlfriend. The trip is roughly 460km there and back.

Hypothetically, if one were to hypothetically set cruise control to 125km/h (75mph), what are the RPMs sitting at in 6th? Is the gas mileage any good? Is there any annoying drone at that RPM? Would I want to kill myself after sitting in it at my hypothetical cruising speed for 4 hours straight?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
If mileage is what your looking for a VW TDI would do the trick.
My buddies Jetta TDI gets over 1,100km/tank.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I'll have to confirm, but around 75 mph I'm around 3k RPM and on a flat and straight it'll be just under 40 mpg. It is a little louder than my old Accord - per instrumented tests online, roughly 70 dB in the Accord at 70, and roughly 75 dB in the Type R at 70. My own experience felt that this was about correct. Not bad at all. When I was test driving, the BRZ was unbearably loud at highway speed (unable to talk at normal volume, forget a cell call) but the Type R was pretty quiet in comparison.

I've done a 4 hour stretch in it already and it wasn't bad at all. I could have gone another 4 hours.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@75mph in 6th gear I’m at just over 3k RPM. It’s barely noticeable on the highway to me.

RacingManiac

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 VW GTI, 2018 ABM CTR R-17001
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tire noise on this car is more noticeable than exhaust at highway speed. Coming from a GTI its less NVH isolated. My car is still very new, I've done a long-ish drive to put miles on it and not using cruise I got about 30mpg overall on a ~500 miles drive, speed varying around 65-80. It will probably be better on cruise at my normal highway speed(normally I set it around 72).

OP
OP
Tone Loc

Tone Loc

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R #18323
Country flag
Thanks for the help everyone.

As for getting a VW... no thanks. The styling isn't my cup of tea, and I have enough mechanic friends to be less trusting of the German makes.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag

As for getting a VW... no thanks. The styling isn't my cup of tea, and I have enough mechanic friends to be less trusting of the German makes.
I had a longish test drive in a Golf R. It's very competent and feels fast and composed. However, it doesn't feel special. The turn-in isn't as crisp as the CTR, it's not as much fun in the corners, the engine isn't as exciting, and the brakes aren't as good. Even though lap times aren't that different, the driving experience is worlds different. The Golf R feels like a faster grocery getting golf sportwagen 4motion (a family member has one), the CTR feels like a slightly slower, bigger, more useful Porsche GT4 that handles almost as well. It's surprising to me that the CTR is so much more sharp than the Golf R, but is just as comfortable. (Really.)

Maverick1

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
I had a longish test drive in a Golf R. It's very competent and feels fast and composed. However, it doesn't feel special. The turn-in isn't as crisp as the CTR, it's not as much fun in the corners, the engine isn't as exciting, and the brakes aren't as good. Even though lap times aren't that different, the driving experience is worlds different. The Golf R feels like a faster grocery getting golf sportwagen 4motion (a family member has one), the CTR feels like a slightly slower, bigger, more useful Porsche GT4 that handles almost as well. It's surprising to me that the CTR is so much more sharp than the Golf R, but is just as comfortable. (Really.)
Man, I couldn't have said it any better myself.
I was cross shopping a Golf R with the Type R and felt the same way.
Don't get me wrong, the Golf R is a very capable vehicle, very quick and stable, it just didn't feel special like the Type R.
The Golf R understeers more than the Honda too, and you can really feel the light weight of the Type R in comparison to the Golf.
The shifter in the Golf R is horrible, rubbery, notchy, vague and longish, while the shifter in the Type R is sooooooooo good, almost as good as the one in the S2000, and better than the manual in my old Porsche.
What surprised me most about the Type R was the descent ride quality, on par with the Golf, and light years ahead of the Focus RS.

BDGFk8

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R, 2017 Clarity Electric, 2017 Audi A8L, 2018 Audi Q7
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It has been a week with my CTR. 682 miles. I have a 80 mile round trip commute so I’ve put some time in this car. Now my other car is an Audi A8. So I have view from both sides of the spectrum.

The CTR is not bad at all. There’s no annoying drone. If anything it’s a nice him letting you know that you own a special car.

I mostly hear noise from the road. Noise from the tires and little pebbles bouncing around the wheel wells things of that nature.

The noise is not bad where a Bluetooth conversation or music is ruined by the noise. It is by NO means an Audi. The CTR has been engineered for the right amount of noise and feel that reminds you that you own a performance car. To me it’s reqarding to hear all the noise.

As for HWY speeds. I’m getting 34-36mpg cruising HWY speeds.

Hope this helps.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
Hey Funky Cold Medina - I agree with those that have posted the RPM is around 3K. I personally have not gotten MPG values that folks are quoting. Could be my aggressive driving, but bottom line I get about 24 mpg on average. Small gas tank means plenty of fill ups. I do a fair amount of highway driving and occasionally slow down to 75. ;)

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Great question as I had the same one. Coming from a Cadillac I do enjoy some what muted long drives. Does anyone know if the normal civic sport has roughly the same sound level at speed? That maybe an option to test drive to get an idea.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
It has been a week with my CTR. 682 miles. I have a 80 mile round trip commute so I’ve put some time in this car. Now my other car is an Audi A8. So I have view from both sides of the spectrum.

The CTR is not bad at all. There’s no annoying drone. If anything it’s a nice him letting you know that you own a special car.

I mostly hear noise from the road. Noise from the tires and little pebbles bouncing around the wheel wells things of that nature.

The noise is not bad where a Bluetooth conversation or music is ruined by the noise. It is by NO means an Audi. The CTR has been engineered for the right amount of noise and feel that reminds you that you own a performance car. To me it’s reqarding to hear all the noise.

As for HWY speeds. I’m getting 34-36mpg cruising HWY speeds.

Hope this helps.
What is your overall gas mileage calculated with odometer and number of gallons used (not CTR computer calculated).

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Consider that the tires of the CTR aren't cheap. They seem to wear quick.

scoobysnack

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 2008 Volvo C30, 2009 Infiniti G37
Country flag

Stay away from any VW unless you're leasing. Too many Gremlins.

I'm 40.5 years old and very sensitive to drone and one thing I REALLY like about the stock exhaust is that there is 00.00 drone. Its actually "quiet" considering the performance involved.

What I hear more than exhaust sound is all the little pieces of crap that you never knew were on the road and are getting flicked around in the wheel wells, but its not a bad sound. It just adds to the ambiance.

BDGFk8

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R, 2017 Clarity Electric, 2017 Audi A8L, 2018 Audi Q7
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is your overall gas mileage calculated with odometer and number of gallons used (not CTR computer calculated).
I’m getting about 25 ish.
Sponsored