High rpms at start, can't get CVT out of park. (Don't do what I did.) ass.)

Baime

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not proud about posting this, but if it helps someone on this forum, I would like that.

I live in Minnesota. We have had a brutal winter. Lots of cold weather, and record snow fall levels in February. They blast the roads with salt every time they plow. I've been having trouble getting my car into the car wash. You don't want to go when it is snowing, and you don't want to go if the temps are extremely cold. My car is Metallic Gray, and the lower half was white from layers of salt.

I finally got my car into a self serve car wash last week. I washed it all down, and then went over it with a soapy rag to get the salt layers off, and then a good rinse. I also sprayed my wheel wells out, washed down my floor mats, and wiped the inside edges of the doors, hood and trunk. I rinsed under the car on both sides to get some of the salt off of the underside of the car. It looked beautiful.

I started the car to pull it out of the car wash bay, and the engine rpms revved up very high, and started oscillating up and down.

All I could conclude is that I got some sensor connections got wet when I sprayed under the car.
I tried it multiple times, and the engine would again rev up to high rpms, and I couldn't get it out of park.
I finally got it to go into park, the engine started revving up again, and I put the trany into neutral to slow the car down, and then turned it off quickly again. I managed to get the car out of the wash bay, and then I called a tow truck. There was no way I was going to be able to drive it home or to a shop.

The next day the Honda dealer service guy called me, and said it was running perfect, and no codes were ever set.
This just didn't make much sense. If acted like a stuck throttle. He said the throttle is all electronical, and it would set a fault if there had been a problem.

When I went to get the car, it started fine, and I could put it in gear, but it was running too fast. At least 1500 rpm.
I gave it a little gas in neutral after I moved it, and it revved up to 2500 rpms, and didn't drop down. I knew it wasn't correct.

I went back in to talk with the service guy. He is trying to tell me it is normal, and he believes it is fine. He said I could leave it in the shop over night to warm up if I felt like that was necessary to thaw something out. He acted like I was being overly fussy about how my car ran. I considered it unsafe to drive. I was going on vacation for a week the next day. I decided to drive it home, and if it still was acting up when I returned, it was going back to the shop.

When I started driving down the road, if felt like my brake pedal was too low to the ground. I started to think it was stuck in the down position. I pulled into a parking lot to check it out.

Have you figured out the problem?
I had the damn Weathertech floor mat under the brake pedal, but over top of the throttle pedal. That was the problem all along. The computer was stopping me from engaging the transmission, because the rpms were too high.
I don't know who was more stupid, me, or the silly professional Honda tech telling me that it was behaving normally.

PS: I got charged for the tow. He told me if I would have called the Honda road side assistance number, it would have been free.

Take care, JP

FYI: My apologies about the title. It originally said "I'm a dumb ass", and I changed it. I obviously didn't delete the last part, and it won't let me edit the title.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The whole time I was reading this and was perplexed about how this could happen. Then I got to "I had the damn Weathertech floor mat under the brake pedal, but over top of the throttle pedal". Holy crap.

Thanks for being brave enough to post that. Then again, we've all done stuff that has us doing this :doh:afterwards.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not proud about posting this, but if it helps someone on this forum, I would like that.

I live in Minnesota. We have had a brutal winter. Lots of cold weather, and record snow fall levels in February. They blast the roads with salt every time they plow. I've been having trouble getting my car into the car wash. You don't want to go when it is snowing, and you don't want to go if the temps are extremely cold. My car is Metallic Gray, and the lower half was white from layers of salt.

I finally got my car into a self serve car wash last week. I washed it all down, and then went over it with a soapy rag to get the salt layers off, and then a good rinse. I also sprayed my wheel wells out, washed down my floor mats, and wiped the inside edges of the doors, hood and trunk. I rinsed under the car on both sides to get some of the salt off of the underside of the car. It looked beautiful.

I started the car to pull it out of the car wash bay, and the engine rpms revved up very high, and started oscillating up and down.

All I could conclude is that I got some sensor connections got wet when I sprayed under the car.
I tried it multiple times, and the engine would again rev up to high rpms, and I couldn't get it out of park.
I finally got it to go into park, the engine started revving up again, and I put the trany into neutral to slow the car down, and then turned it off quickly again. I managed to get the car out of the wash bay, and then I called a tow truck. There was no way I was going to be able to drive it home or to a shop.

The next day the Honda dealer service guy called me, and said it was running perfect, and no codes were ever set.
This just didn't make much sense. If acted like a stuck throttle. He said the throttle is all electronical, and it would set a fault if there had been a problem.

When I went to get the car, it started fine, and I could put it in gear, but it was running too fast. At least 1500 rpm.
I gave it a little gas in neutral after I moved it, and it revved up to 2500 rpms, and didn't drop down. I knew it wasn't correct.

I went back in to talk with the service guy. He is trying to tell me it is normal, and he believes it is fine. He said I could leave it in the shop over night to warm up if I felt like that was necessary to thaw something out. He acted like I was being overly fussy about how my car ran. I considered it unsafe to drive. I was going on vacation for a week the next day. I decided to drive it home, and if it still was acting up when I returned, it was going back to the shop.

When I started driving down the road, if felt like my brake pedal was too low to the ground. I started to think it was stuck in the down position. I pulled into a parking lot to check it out.

I had the damn Weathertech floor mat under the brake pedal, but over top of the throttle pedal. That was the problem all along. The computer was stopping me from engaging the transmission, because the rpms were too high.
I don't know who was more stupid, me, or the silly professional Honda tech telling me that it was behaving normally.

PS: I got charged for the tow. He told me if I would have called the Honda road side assistance number, it would have been free.

Take care, JP

FYI: My apologies about the title. It originally said "I'm a dumb ass", and I changed it. I obviously didn't delete the last part, and it won't let me edit the title.
No shit, this has happened to way more people than you think. I can think of 10 posts on our facebook page where that was the problem.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
The whole time I was reading this and was perplexed about how this could happen. Then I got to "I had the damn Weathertech floor mat under the brake pedal, but over top of the throttle pedal". Holy crap.

Thanks for being brave enough to post that. Then again, we've all done stuff that has us doing this :doh:afterwards.
You're not unique, I've done the same thing with the Weathertech mats in BOTH my civic AND my wife's Fit. I just wasn't paying attention, was cold & was in a hurry to get the heater going. :doh: I blame it on Winter stress!!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Baime

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Coolrim,
I just jumped to the worst case conclusion, that I got something electrical wet while washing the car.
Anyway, all I can say is Duh!

I also had the mat locked down in position with at the two tie down points, so that made me feel like it was installed properly.

OP
OP

Baime

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Isn't it a crappy feeling when the silly service tech starts telling you what is "normal behavior" on your car?

I said right to him, I gave it some throttle in neutral up to 2500rpms, and it stayed at 2500 rpms.
That is normal. He personally owns one of them.

I could gloat about this more if I wasn't the cause of all this silliness.

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
Isn't it a crappy feeling when the silly service tech starts telling you what is "normal behavior" on your car?

I said right to him, I gave it some throttle in neutral up to 2500rpms, and it stayed at 2500 rpms.
That is normal. He personally owns one of them.

I could gloat about this more if I wasn't the cause of all this silliness.
I mean, one is a normal consumer, one is a certified tech. I think you have plenty of reason and are totally justified to gloat.

Marjammer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'91 Prelude Si->'02 Si->'03 RSX Type S->'07 Si->'13 Taurus (Current)
Country flag
At least you weren't auto-crossing and had a gator-aid bottle fall into the driver's floor board and get wedged under you brake pedal. Didn't happen to me, thankfully. Just relaying the story.

n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
WHen I swapped out my 2018 hatch for the 2019 hatch, I was in a hurry because it was freezing cold here as well. I had the husky liners all around, and due to wanting to get it done, at 7pm at night when it was dark, I didn't notice it. When I got in, I had kinda the same symptoms and I'm thinking to myself that something was seriously wrong, thinking it had to be the car. Nope, it was me. LOL Glad it is an easy fix. :)

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dont feel bad and thanks for sharing. It's not a good feeling that the service tech couldn't figure it out.

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Take care, JP

Thank you for your honesty, and detailed description of what was occuring.
I will just about guarantee you that you are NOT the only person this has ever happened to, and I hope this tale will help someone else in the future.
Sponsored