High Pitched Whine/Noise at Highway Cruising Speed?

apk

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR RR
Country flag
6 months and 9000 miles, I get the whine. 60-70 mph, under acceleration. Not the turbo, I will test with and without the AC compressor.
Sponsored

TheSnotRocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 CTS-V, 2016 ATS-V, 2018 CTR
Country flag
For what it's worth, I have an 18 Touring with the 1.5 motor, and my CTR both have the same sound - if we are talking about the same one. AC... or PS pump - it's a pump of some sort, I'm almost certain.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I've only had two consistent whining/whirring/buzzing noises. First one comes from the right of the infotainment system (I think, could be wrong) from the engine. It would appear intermittently for a split second, then disappear again. I shut off the HVAC system and didn't hear it again for a good while. I think it was the AC kicking on and off. The second is consistent and happens around 2500 RPM, though could be lower. This only happens when I'm on the throttle (even a little) and goes away when I am not on the throttle. This is the turbo spooling.

lanmaster53

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #23222
Country flag
Did anyone make any progress on this? I bought a 2019 Type R two weeks ago, have ~250 miles on the car, and recently noticed the electronic buzzing sound coming from what sounds like the engine compartment. It's not a rattle, whir, whistle or hiss. It literally sounds like a set of distant hair clippers. It only happens while on the throttle, which makes if feel like it's something in the fuel or air delivery systems. It goes away as soon as I life the throttle. It definitely has nothing to do with the HVAC, as I tested all conditions and settings and it made no difference. It also doesn't seem to be the center speaker reacting to a short somewhere as changing the volume and turning the audio system off or to alternate sources doesn't affect it at all. It may have been there since I pulled off the lot with 3 miles on the car because I usually listen to the radio, but it definitely has my attention now and I can't stop obsessing about it.

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Did anyone make any progress on this? I bought a 2019 Type R two weeks ago, have ~250 miles on the car, and recently noticed the electronic buzzing sound coming from what sounds like the engine compartment. It's not a rattle, whir, whistle or hiss. It literally sounds like a set of distant hair clippers. It only happens while on the throttle, which makes if feel like it's something in the fuel or air delivery systems. It goes away as soon as I life the throttle. It definitely has nothing to do with the HVAC, as I tested all conditions and settings and it made no difference. It also doesn't seem to be the center speaker reacting to a short somewhere as changing the volume and turning the audio system off or to alternate sources doesn't affect it at all. It may have been there since I pulled off the lot with 3 miles on the car because I usually listen to the radio, but it definitely has my attention now and I can't stop obsessing about it.
I think we have concluded it's the turbo spooling

lanmaster53

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #23222
Country flag
I think we have concluded it's the turbo spooling
I wanted so bad to believe this, but that doesn't explain why the tone, pitch and volume remain constant regardless of the RPMs or boost pressure. I spent 30 minutes in the car this morning toying with every available subsystem (climate, audio, drive mode, traction control, etc.) while driving and none of them affected the behavior. I've had engine noise through the sound system before in other cars and everything in me tells me that's what it is (center dash speaker), but it still happens when audio is off (still possible, but unlikely) and I am unable to replicate in neutral, which shouldn't affect engine noise in the sound system. So weird!

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Whine Noise Update:

Picked up my car yesterday from the dealer, they had my car for a whole day. The master tech was able to replicate the whine, he called honda tech line and they said that after the transmition is broken in is normal for it to whine wtf??? This is a enginner from tech line speaking, he added that Honda had received hundreds of complaints from Type R owners complaining about the transmition whine (well done guys) Now he mentioned that my amsoil oil may increase the sound over honda mtf. Im considering experimenting with a different oil.

fmoua916

Nothingbettah2do
First Name
Fong
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic type r agean blue
Country flag
Whine Noise Update:

Picked up my car yesterday from the dealer, they had my car for a whole day. The master tech was able to replicate the whine, he called honda tech line and they said that after the transmition is broken in is normal for it to whine wtf??? This is a enginner from tech line speaking, he added that Honda had received hundreds of complaints from Type R owners complaining about the transmition whine (well done guys) Now he mentioned that my amsoil oil may increase the sound over honda mtf. Im considering experimenting with a different oil.
Wow! I get the whine too. At first it didn’t get it but after about 3k miles I been getting it. Car shifts like butter no grinds or anything like that though

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Wow! I get the whine too. At first it didn’t get it but after about 3k miles I been getting it. Car shifts like butter no grinds or anything like that though
Same here no issues other than noise.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Just to check, are you sure it's not the high pitched noise that happens when you turn on the ignition but leave the engine off. (You press the engine start button twice without pressing the clutch.) You can also hear it continue for 5 or so seconds after turning the engine off. Then there is a relay that clicks and the noise stops. I personally can't hear it over the road noise while I'm driving, but I imagine someone with better ears might hear it.

My guess is it's a fuel pump.

lanmaster53

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #23222
Country flag
Just to check, are you sure it's not the high pitched noise that happens when you turn on the ignition but leave the engine off. (You press the engine start button twice without pressing the clutch.) You can also hear it continue for 5 or so seconds after turning the engine off. Then there is a relay that clicks and the noise stops. I personally can't hear it over the road noise while I'm driving, but I imagine someone with better ears might hear it.

My guess is it's a fuel pump.
That's not at all the behavior I am having. I read about that somewhere else a few days ago and tried it. No noise for that test case.

I don't know where the fuel pump is on this car, but isn't it usually in the tank? Otherwise, the behavior could definitely be explained as a fuel pump noise, except for the fact that it doesn't do it in neutral. But perhaps the pump doesn't have to work as hard when their isn't a load. /shrug

sohcanddohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CTR, 19 RDX ASPEC, 13 FR-S, 05 PTGT
Country flag
I have the same sound. It’s only when I hold the pedal steady at 64-68mph. It sounds like feedback through the speakers like when you have a bad ground but it is still there when you turn the radio off. I doesn’t change with rpm it’s more of a on and off when you press the pedal and hold. I hope they find the cause for this soon, I bought this car to drive and most of the roads around here have posted speed limits of 60-70.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Don't know that its a diff noise.

Really my first post doesn't quite describe the noise correctly. It's not a "buzz" or a "whine" - it's more like a very specific resonating frequency, like a tuning fork or something.

Going to try to capture it on audio here at some point.
I also am noticing the "tuning fork / resonating" noise. It seems to be coming from the back, under the hatch.

I can recreate the sound in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. All I need to do is basically get to cruising speed on a level road and apply VERY light throttle (example: going 30 mph in 2nd at 5-9% throttle). If I put the clutch in 100% or put it in neutral and coast at the speed, the sound goes away. If I apply more than light throttle, the sound goes away. The sound also goes away during decel.

I also have a fully adjustable Remus exhaust, and it doesn't matter if the exhaust is wide open or completely closed - i still get the sound.

At first I thought it was something related to wheel bearing or something spinning but now I can't figure it out.

It is annoying because I hear it all the time now when I don't have the window down or radio on. I think the cold weather maybe is making it louder? IDK.

Based on this thread, it sounds like a widespread issue reported by many owners, so that makes me feel a little bit better.

Ryden1315

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Not sure if I'm getting the same whine noise but I get it too. I've noticed that it only comes when I have the air on. Heat or AC. Once I turn it off the sound is gone. I brought it into Honda and they said it's my intake .. no fucking way it's my intake. So I'll wait a bit and if it's gets worse I'll bring it in again. Again it's more of a hollow resonating sound when accelerating almost like a metal hollow sound. Drives me nuts

lanmaster53

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #23222
Country flag
Not sure if I'm getting the same whine noise but I get it too. I've noticed that it only comes when I have the air on. Heat or AC. Once I turn it off the sound is gone. I brought it into Honda and they said it's my intake .. no fucking way it's my intake. So I'll wait a bit and if it's gets worse I'll bring it in again. Again it's more of a hollow resonating sound when accelerating almost like a metal hollow sound. Drives me nuts
The HVAC system makes no difference for me. The sound is always there on acceleration, no matter what other circumstances exist. I've played with every other subsystem along with this behavior and the throttle is the only thing that affects the noise. I told my dealership about it (my sales rep calls me once a month to check in), but i'm not rushing to get it in there. As long as the car continues to work properly, I'll have them check it out the next time I have it serviced.
Sponsored