High Pitched Whine/Noise at Highway Cruising Speed?

Driver346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R - Championship White
Yeah, I'm going to do as much as I can to figure out what it is. I'm charging my GoPro right now and will be making a video of the sound this morning. I'll post the video here later today.
Sponsored

Driver346

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R - Championship White
I made video of the noise, but I'm unable to isolate the hum from the normal road noise, so it's pretty much useless. I am going to bring my Type R into a local dealer this week and ask them about it and see if they can do a ride along so I can show them.

OP
OP

patriotsfan82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Couoe
Also a fresh new CTR owner here (brought it home yesterday :D ) I am having exactly the same issue that you've described. In fact, the sound is also most noticeable to me at 66mph and 67mph, just like yours, which is very interesting. As you mentioned, it does sound like a tuning fork noise. I also drove home along a decent stretch of highway after taking delivery and I noticed it then. So I searched tonight and I found this post.

Have you found out anything else about the noise? Did you bring it to your dealer? I reached out to my dealer tonight and asked them about it. I'm going to bring mine in to my local dealer next week. I'll update this post with further details of what I find.

Otherwise, my new car is a blast. I'm loving every minute behind the wheel.

I'm glad you mentioned this. Hopefully it is a simple fix.
Dealer wanted to have my Type R for a day to fit in a test drive to reproduce the issue, but I've been working long hours recently and with the one vehicle haven't had time to be without it.

That being said, I know of at least one other Type R owner in my immediate area with the same issue that has had theirs evaluated. Dealer didn't do anything but did open a case on his behalf. Think its just one of those issues that "is the way it is" - and unless enough cases are opened nothing will be done about it.

megaphone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR R-16412
Country flag
I get a buzzing/static noise every time I apply gas. You can hear it noticeably at low speed.
Did you get a resolution? I have this and the high pitch whine above 70mph and it’s starting to really annoy me!!

VTECnR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R
Country flag
I have this too. Brand new CTR. Mine is the worst between 60 and 67 in 6th only and sounds just like a tuning fork hum. It's not super loud but its pretty awful in the ear.

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Did you get a resolution? I have this and the high pitch whine above 70mph and it’s starting to really annoy me!!
No sir...common issue so everyone just says it's normal. :rofl:
I just turn up the volume.

megaphone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR R-16412
Country flag
That’s terrible!! I can’t listen to any podcasts/radio talk right now because of it. Having to choose music only is annoying lol. Still going to take mine in and see what they say about the static noise when the accelerator is pressed.

megaphone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR R-16412
Country flag
Someone one on Facebook said they are getting their transmission replaced due to the whining noise when accelerating. Not sure if Honda has done some further research into the issue.

NT413

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had this issue 2 or 3 times since I got mine back in August 2017. Luckily it didn't stay but I couldn't figure out what it was. I got it while maintaining about 65 mph or so.

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Someone one on Facebook said they are getting their transmission replaced due to the whining noise when accelerating. Not sure if Honda has done some further research into the issue.
It's a very faint buzzing/hissing sound coming from the center dashboard. I can hear it clearly at low speed.

megaphone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR R-16412
Country flag
It's a very faint buzzing/hissing sound coming from the center dashboard. I can hear it clearly at low speed.
That is EXACTLY what I have, guy who is getting the transmission replaced stated Honda found out they forgot add some thermal paste/lubricant on some of the cars which was causing the noise. Mine is noticeably louder than it was 1k miles ago.
I am going to press this issue with my dealer as I want to start modifying the car and don't want them to use that as a scapegoat for this issue.

VTECnR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Civic Type R
Country flag
That is EXACTLY what I have, guy who is getting the transmission replaced stated Honda found out they forgot add some thermal paste/lubricant on some of the cars which was causing the noise. Mine is noticeably louder than it was 1k miles ago.
I am going to press this issue with my dealer as I want to start modifying the car and don't want them to use that as a scapegoat for this issue.

Can you elaborate on that or link your findings? Where was the lubricant to go? Can it be added after the fact? Thanks, Steve

RunningHot2017

20 years. Smashing gears.
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I get a whining noise while driving but, it only comes when I am accelerating. No its the turbo. But it gets real apparent when I am giving it more gas. Its a whine layered over the sound of the hiss of the turbo spool. Highway speed doesnt seem to create this whine but higher throttle does. It does seem to come from my right ear. But from under the car. It cant be the transmission because of its nature of appearance.

Could it be the fuel pump creating the sound?

Marfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Try turning off your climate control system. I noticed a buzzing/whirring and it goes away when the system is off, probably just the compressor ramping up with your RPMs.
Sponsored