High Knock control reading after KTuner v2 flash

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe 1.5T WOP
Flashed the car with my new KTuner the other night.

Chose the Basemap Dual 19/23 psi tune. Car runs great and feels awesome. But my knock control is reading mostly in the higher .60
Range with some spikes in the .70s.

Is this normal? Will that go away over time? It’s only been flashed 2 days.

Also is this bad for the car to have such a high knock reading when other people are getting .49? This is on 91 octane.
Sponsored

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Supposed to be in the the 50s. Knock control needs to learn down. Hit the highway go into 6th gear and go light on the throttle. 40ish mph, try to stay between vacuum and boost without going into boost. Should go down.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I had the stock calibrations on the car the knock control was at .9 and Ktuner said that was normal for factory.

AkiraFlea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si coupe white
Im having the same issue. I can get the knock control to dumb down to .49 but everytime i actually floor or im in say 6th at low rpm and give it throttle the knock controller goes all the way up to .7-.8

Is this normal? Should i wait until it goes back down to .5ish before i can rip it again? Also my knock counter on the ktuner always shows knock. Anywhere from 12-30 knocks in a 30 min drive. Im driving with the occasional quick take off from a light and i normally pass people on hwy if they arent moving to the slow lane. I also notice it will read a knock most of the time when im giving it a decent amount of throttle and upshift.

I have the starter 21.5psi map loaded right now but it happens on all them. Even the factory one thats loaded on the ktuner.

Last edited:

tehSteve

GrayBeard McGootch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Si
Country flag
good post. I am on 93oct and see over 60-70+ regularly. Is this normal?

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
good post. I am on 93oct and see over 60-70+ regularly. Is this normal?
I don't really know as I am not really familiar with what is good or what is not good. But what I do know is with an good tuner, usually knock will be as close to 0 as possible.

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't really know as I am not really familiar with what is good or what is not good. But what I do know is with an good tuner, usually knock will be as close to 0 as possible.
That's actually inaccurate. On our cars "0" knock control is around 49%-51%, it will never go lower.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I find that part throttle, building 10psi, goes up. But if I floor it, same speed and gear. My knock control stays down. Almost like my afr stays to high in part throttle situations. Or if I accelerate in to high of a gear, like starting my pull below 3.5k rpms

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
If your tune increases (advances) timing you're most likely going to see an increase in Knock Control, which will ironically will lead to decreased timing, assuming the factory knock control system is in place. This is at least true on 91 octane from what we've tested. On our FlashPro race tunes we usually hover around high 50s for Knock Control, but it can go up quickly if you're racing at a track. Repeated pulls at a drag strip could also cause it to go up a decent amount.

OP
OP
fightermav

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is readings from just normal albeit spirited driving. I havent pushed the car past 5000rpm yet since it still has less than 2k miles on it.

That being said Ive given it a couple good rompings. Last night it finally got into the 50's as I did another lap around town. ended up settling around .56

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is readings from just normal albeit spirited driving. I havent pushed the car past 5000rpm yet since it still has less than 2k miles on it.

That being said Ive given it a couple good rompings. Last night it finally got into the 50's as I did another lap around town. ended up settling around .56
How knock counts?

Siguy

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si
Country flag
I always run 93 octane fuel and I am usually seeing .49-.52 but most often it hovers at .49 I have never seen anything higher than .57 but it's probably due to higher octane fuel.

OP
OP
fightermav

fightermav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After driving lightly for a bit it went down to .49 and then spiked back up to .6 when I mashed the throttle, by the end of the night it was back down to .52 so who knows.

procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.procivic.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan, Others
Country flag
After driving lightly for a bit it went down to .49 and then spiked back up to .6 when I mashed the throttle, by the end of the night it was back down to .52 so who knows.
Sounds like the timing on your tune is too aggressive. If knock control climbs each time you make a pull, then the ECU is detecting some sort of knock condition. I see you're in San Francisco, so you're running CA 91 octane. As is, the factory timing is right on the edge of knock with this quality gas (from what we've tested here).
Sponsored