First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatch
Country flag
New
Need some help, have any of you monitored your ECT2 Temps since installing the intercooler, if so, how high has it gotten for you guys when running ktuner/hondata high boost and stock boost?

My ECT2 on the CRV with stock boost will see about 125-130°f , now with high boost of 21-22psi I will see ECT2 Temps as high as 160-170 especially after prolonged spirited pulls without allowing the radiator a 10 second rest to shrug off the heat

The GOOD problem that I've noticed with the intercooler is that it shrugs off heat soo well, and maintains it within the passenger side (hot side) of the intercooler, never letting it reach the other side, that unfortunately for us, our ECT2 temp sensor is located directly behind the intercooler's hot side (lower passenger side) inside the radiator, so the readings will spike almost immediately under any pull that you do because it's getting all of the hot air from the intercooler transferring the hot air to the radiator.

On the crv my car has active grill shutters, and it uses the ect2 readings to determine how efficient the Active Grill shutters are working, it sees a spike and assumes that the shutters have failed to open, and the car is overheating, it then puts the car into limp mode. Reduces power, and disables all boost until ECT2 Temps have gone down and the engine has been restarted.

Ect1 Temps are always in the range of 175-200.

So, that's why I wanted to get some feedback from you guys in finding out how high, if at all, your ECT2 Temps go up when your boosting, especially with high boost.

Thx!
Sponsored

Last edited:

ROCKGT

First Name
ROQUE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VIPER, ZR1, FGT, 4C, GT500
Country flag
What is tre difference between ECT1 and ECT2 ? As well as IAT1 and IAT2 ?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
The IATs are before and after the intercooler, no? No idea what the two ECTs are... I only have one on torque.

VTecYoSelfB4UWreckYoSelf

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Country flag
What is ect1 and ect2?
Engine coolant temperature, I believe one is the temp of the coolant in the block and the other is after it cooled in the radiator. I suspect ECT2 reads too low, I see no way that ECT2 can be like 70-80 degrees. If you open the radiator you will get burned from the coolant.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
did u properly bleed the rad after install ?
when car is cool, open the res cap, start engine without ac or heater or radio let it run at ilde for at a while till rad fan kicks in twice but to make sure let it run & the rad fan kicks in 2 more times then chk coolant level.
can try to squeeze the rad hoses too couple of times when it's not too hot.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
The IATs are before and after the intercooler, no? No idea what the two ECTs are... I only have one on torque.
What is ect1 and ect2?
ECT1 is the outlet (head) temperature of the coolant.
ECT2 is measuring the effectiveness of the radiator to shed heat.

IAT1 is measuring the intake air temperature between the throttle body and the intercooler.
IAT2 measures the air coming into the system before the turbo.

Unfortunately, we do not have a way to measure the effectiveness of the intercooler with the stock sensors. The turbo adds an unknown amount of heat to the air going into the intercooler.

Engine coolant temperature, I believe one is the temp of the coolant in the block and the other is after it cooled in the radiator. I suspect ECT2 reads too low, I see no way that ECT2 can be like 70-80 degrees. If you open the radiator you will get burned from the coolant.
The coolant at the top of the radiator is that hot. However, the radiator is quite effective at shedding that heat. The coolant in the lower radiator hose will be nice and cool. This is why cars have thermostats....to prevent overcooling of the engine. Check it out on your own car, if you can do so safely.