HIDS DRAWIN TOO MUCH POWER

Krenteria13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 coupe
So I recently did an Install of ac 35w hid kit. Car was fine for a couple of days. Yesterday and today when driving through a tunnel and auto lights turning on, the car turned off on me twice.
Had to completely power off to get the car to turn back on.
Today ; turned it back on and got a bunch of errors and problems on dashboard.
Any idea why this happened?
I already set up an appointment with my dealer to check this out but the car is 1 month old.
Any help appreciated
Sponsored

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Did you install a relay harness? Check your fuses.

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
Open the fuse box under the hood. Look at each individual fuse. There is what looks like a curved piece of metal encased in the plastic between the prongs. If that piece connecting the two prongs is missing or separated, then you've found the culprit. Check the fuses in the harness too.

OP
OP

Krenteria13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 coupe
I had a PRo do it. Didn't do it myself. They said they are sure it isn't bad lights or bad install.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
I had a PRo do it. Didn't do it myself. They said they are sure it isn't bad lights or bad install.
Of course that's what they said. The minute the dealer sees the HID kit, that is what they are going to claim caused the issue & it won't be covered under warranty. Pull the HID kit out & put the halogens back in & see if you can duplicate the problem.

What is the brand & model of the HID kit?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They have to prove the HIDs were the cause to refuse to cover this under warranty. That being said, they will fight you every step of the way if you leave the HID in the car when you take it in. Definitely just take them out.

jmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Call me crazy, but I don't believe HID's would cause the entire car to power down while driving.

OP
OP

Krenteria13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 coupe
Call me crazy, but I don't believe HID's would cause the entire car to power down while driving.
Yeah; me neither had a scion and no issues. Strange thing. Only when auto lights turn on does the car turn off while driving

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah; me neither had a scion and no issues. Strange thing. Only when auto lights turn on does the car turn off while driving
When you say "turn off" do you literally mean the engine shuts down and the car powers off?

I'm asking because that is unbelievable. That is one the level of GM ignition breaking and Toyota's accelerating on their own.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
LEDs draw WAY less power, would never be an issue. HIDs usually aren't either. But screw that big harness and ballasts and big mess. LEDs are straight plug and play.
Hid's are so much brighter though :D but i do agree the ballast and harness are a pain to set up.
Edit: did you get a relay harness op? Might wanna install one and the errors on your car does it say like (battery discharging or something along the lines?) That means one of your fuses broke. Check the headlight ones to start
Sponsored