Hidden Features/Quirks you did not know about the Honda 2017 Civic

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I would imagine the reasoning is that this car comes in both manual and automatic transmissions, and since manuals don't have a park gear they had to make it compatible with both versions.
Oh duhhhh, I forgot about the manuals....
Sponsored

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
I'm a slave to the machine. After driving the LX 2.0 with the CVT I was about to go look at something else because the driving experience was so boring and lifeless, when the sales guy mentioned he had an MT on the lot and asked me if I wanted to try it. HOLY MOLY, talk about a better driving experience!!! The MT makes the 2.0 come alive! Feels much stronger and quicker,and a blast to drive.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I'm a slave to the machine. After driving the LX 2.0 with the CVT I was about to go look at something else because the driving experience was so boring and lifeless, when the sales guy mentioned he had an MT on the lot and asked me if I wanted to try it. HOLY MOLY, talk about a better driving experience!!! The MT makes the 2.0 come alive! Feels much stronger and quicker,and a blast to drive.
Same here.
I started with the Touring and ended up with a SI.
During the car shopping process, the idea of a MT never crossed my mind,
I wanted to like the Touring but failed. I test-drove the Touring twice and even one HB to confirm the “boring and lifeless” driving experiences.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Now that we’re sidetracked, I’ll say I haven’t been a slave to the machine for over 10 years. Every now and then when I drive a MT, its kind of fun, but I just can’t see myself going back to it full time, especially with traffic nowadays. To me, it’d be like going back to using a paper map, washing the dishes by hand, changing radio stations using a dial tuner, etc. To each their own though.

Speaking of the radio, as far as features go, I really love how the XM radio records all of your presets, even when the radio isn’t on. You can change stations and rewind back to the minute you started the car.

Last edited:

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
To clarify, I would buy the Touring if it comes with a decent transmission. I had been driving automatic (MB) cars for the past 13 years and I had no intention to change this when I started the search of a new car.

Like I said, I test-drove the Civic CVT 3 times. I wanted badly to like it but failed.

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
If the car came with a good 5 speed auto I might have bought that, but I despise CVT. By the way, I still prefer paper maps. And I don't want GPS. I'd rather KNOW where I'm going.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
To illustrate, look at how complaint it is as you are coming to a stop for a stop sign, where stopping right beside the sign is so paramount and something I didn't enjoy doing before. It makes you look like a good driver when you do that consistently and that makes it a good thing for your psyche.
I'm a little confused by this statement. The type of transmission shouldn't affect how cleanly you can come to a stop.

Now that we’re sidetracked, I’ll say I haven’t been a slave to the machine for over 10 years. Every now and then when I drive a MT, its kind of fun, but I just can’t see myself going back to it full time, especially with traffic nowadays. To me, it’d be like going back to using a paper map, washing the dishes by hand, changing radio stations using a dial tuner, etc. To each their own though.
I had owned only manual cars since 1990 (all Civic hatchbacks, too), and although I wanted to continue the streak, it's been really nice and convenient to have something that my wife can drive.

I also got spoiled by the dash-mounted shifter in my EP3. It wasn't as ergonomically easy to row the gears on the '17 coupe I test-drove the day I picked up my FK7. Plus, the paddle shifters kinda take me back to when Virtua Racing debuted in the arcades. :D

GuyT

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T sport (10th-Gen)
I’m looking for a “how-to” guide on how to take out and reinstall the rear tow hook cover. Any ideas?

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Same here.
I started with the Touring and ended up with a SI.
During the car shopping process, the idea of a MT never crossed my mind,
I wanted to like the Touring but failed. I test-drove the Touring twice and even one HB to confirm the “boring and lifeless” driving experiences.
Well, if you get the Ktuner and load the dual/21psi tune, it's not lifeless and boring. Also must get rid of the OEM crap tires for good ones.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What trim level do you have? I want to know if this works for the LX?
He's got the European trim level. The IIHS or NHTSA won't allow it here in the U.S.

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag