HID or LED bulbs?

HatchHTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys, I am wondering what is better for normal headlight usage, HID or LED? I've researched both options and been very confused on the topic. I'm new to the lighting scene and would appreciate some tips and pointers on these bulbs. Also, if you use any products link them below (could help other people like me :thumbsup:)
Sponsored

calijoefornia

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-L in Lunar Silver Metallic
Country flag
I can’t comment much on modern HID since the last set I had was in 2014 and I’m sure they’ve advanced quite a bit since then, but I will tell you that I just swapped my halogens for LEDs in my headlights and they’re significantly better than the standard bulbs. I love that you don’t have to break the bank with LED and they seem to have less components that can fail like HID has. I went through 4 sets of HID bulbs in my last car and eventually went back to halogen because they were way too unreliable, expensive and fragile.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
A LOT of people will say HID and go against the whole idea of LED, but I will say that I went with a LED kit from cougar motor bought on amazon and I don't regret it one bit. It will match the existing DRL on your civic perfectly, it lights up the road really well (much better than stock) and is much easier to install than a HID kit (literally just plug and play). I have had it for around 2 months now without any issues. Here is the link:

http://a.co/axDw9Hf

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Here's a bat so that you can continue to beat this desdhorse that is HID vs LED. Led has an easier set up but the throw is not great. Also, I have heard that the performance in rain is terrible. HID install is only a few more steps than LED and work well in the rain. You can also get a 5K HID kit if you want them to match the DRL. If you want real performance, go with a retrofit. You won't regret it

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Here's a bat so that you can continue to beat this desdhorse that is HID vs LED. Led has an easier set up but the throw is not great. Also, I have heard that the performance in rain is terrible. HID install is only a few more steps than LED and work well in the rain. You can also get a 5K HID kit if you want them to match the DRL. If you want real performance, go with a retrofit. You won't regret it
Not sure where these myths of "LED's wont work in rain, don't have good throw" come from to be honest, maybe that was the case for older LED setups...But I can 100% debunk that whole argument about that rain because where I live (DC Area) we have had record breaking amounts of rain in the past couple days, pretty much a day long downpour everyday for the past 3-4 days and my LED setup has been performing flawlessly with no issues whatsoever. I even drove home at 1 AM on a pitch black road during a thunderstorm and it lit up the road just as one would expect. I compared my LED swap to the factory HID setup on my Mercedes SUV and the throw distance of both lights were pretty close together, which is saying something. HID's don't perform any better than LED's in the rain.

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
I dont want to add to something that has been debated to death so I will say this. If you believe that your factory halogen projectors with any type of of bulb, led or hid, can even come close to an OEM hid projector, either your Mercedes has something with the headlights or you're just not being truthful. Pnp kits of any kind will never match the width, throw or intensity of a proper hid set up. If you think otherwise, you probably cant tell the difference. If your okay with that then more power to you. You also tall about your led bulb being able to light up a pitch black road. Of course your lights will work better when it is darker. Any source of light will seem brighter in darker situations because your eyes adjust. Again, pnp cant match hid projectord

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I dont want to add to something that has been debated to death so I will say this. If you believe that your factory halogen projectors with any type of of bulb, led or hid, can even come close to an OEM hid projector, either your Mercedes has something with the headlights or you're just not being truthful. Pnp kits of any kind will never match the width, throw or intensity of a proper hid set up. If you think otherwise, you probably cant tell the difference. If your okay with that then more power to you. You also tall about your led bulb being able to light up a pitch black road. Of course your lights will work better when it is darker. Any source of light will seem brighter in darker situations because your eyes adjust. Again, pnp cant match hid projectord
Your right this topic has been beaten to death already so no point going down that path. What I did mean with the road though was compared to my original halogens, it was lighting it up much better, also I have nothing to gain by not being truthful about the comparison to the Mercedes because I'm not exactly bias towards my LED setup, could have gotten an HID kit for around the same price. But regardless, everyone will have different opinions and finally who cares as long as your happy with your choice.

Marcy161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What is retrofit may i ask?

Civic19nc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI , 2019 Civic Ex hatchback
Country flag
Has anyone had a problem with the LEDs giving radio interference. I had some on my old car and it really interfered with the radio. If so what's the fix?

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's always ddm hid kits

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Has anyone had a problem with the LEDs giving radio interference. I had some on my old car and it really interfered with the radio. If so what's the fix?
I haven't noticed any issues with mine, but i'm running the Katana's off amazon. I'm sure with LED's, since they basically have a mini computer running them, that it's dependent upon how they're manufactured.
Sponsored