HID kit not working

jsjamell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
So I'm beyond frustrated with this. I have the Morimoto Elite HID Kit with the HD relay. I followed all the directions for the install but the bulbs won't come on. I've tried multiple ground points, switched the polarity from the OEM connection, made sure all of my connections were in and still nothing. I know this install is supposed to be simple and straight forward which makes the fact that mine won't fire all the more frustrating. What could I be missing? I'm close to throwing in the towel myself and paying someone at a shop to install them for me.
Sponsored

jdmtodd

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
So I'm beyond frustrated with this. I have the Morimoto Elite HID Kit with the HD relay. I followed all the directions for the install but the bulbs won't come on. I've tried multiple ground points, switched the polarity from the OEM connection, made sure all of my connections were in and still nothing. I know this install is supposed to be simple and straight forward which makes the fact that mine won't fire all the more frustrating. What could I be missing? I'm close to throwing in the towel myself and paying someone at a shop to install them for me.
I had a little trouble with mine as well, but what i encountered was i had to bend one of the pongs to fit flush into ballast. Also i unplugged the relays(the big two box things) and plugged them back in snug. I put the ground and power cables directly to the battery even though people put their to the fuse box. That's how i got mine to work. I hope this helps, but you could always message the TRS. They have outstanding customer service, and have fast response times.

OP
OP

jsjamell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
I had a little trouble with mine as well, but what i encountered was i had to bend one of the pongs to fit flush into ballast. Also i unplugged the relays(the big two box things) and plugged them back in snug. I put the ground and power cables directly to the battery even though people put their to the fuse box. That's how i got mine to work. I hope this helps, but you could always message the TRS. They have outstanding customer service, and have fast response times.
Thanks for the advice. Looking at the prongs in the ballast, they all look straight to me. I pulled off the grommets to make sure the plugs go all the way into the ballast and still no dice. Couldn't get the relays apart to try that too, though. I'll have to wait till Monday to get in touch with TRS and see what they have to say.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you have a multimeter to verify your power and ground connections with? If not, it may be a good time to buy one. I’ve used mine countless times.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Plug everything in without relay to see if it lights up (won’t damage cause short term so no worry). Does it turn on? Also try plugging in stock bulbs to see if they turn on, if they don’t fuse is probably blown that’s what happened to me.

chaosnyx

Honeycomb
First Name
chaosnyx
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I ran into problem of them not turning on, too. Finally figure it out that I plugged in the OEM plug in the wrong orientation. I have the same HID kit as you.

htran1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Did you ever figure this out? I seem to be having the same problem.

OP
OP

jsjamell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
Did you ever figure this out? I seem to be having the same problem.
Yes! I had the wire from the relay marked "OEM Input" connected directly to the OEM input from the car. There's an adapter that goes in between these two that my kit came with but I completely missed. The male end of this adapter has a plastic piece inside that I had to pull out for it to fit in the OEM input from the car. I also had to gently pull the prongs apart to get it to fit. Once it fit, it clicked together.

TRS said that they've had multiple customers make the same mistake with this kit and I can understand why. The parts list has everything listed except for this adapter part and I totally overlooked it. Looking back at some people's write-ups for this kit, this adapter part didn't seem to even exist so it must be newer.

htran1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Yes! I had the wire from the relay marked "OEM Input" connected directly to the OEM input from the car. There's an adapter that goes in between these two that my kit came with but I completely missed. The male end of this adapter has a plastic piece inside that I had to pull out for it to fit in the OEM input from the car. I also had to gently pull the prongs apart to get it to fit. Once it fit, it clicked together.

TRS said that they've had multiple customers make the same mistake with this kit and I can understand why. The parts list has everything listed except for this adapter part and I totally overlooked it. Looking back at some people's write-ups for this kit, this adapter part didn't seem to even exist so it must be newer.
I was the one that PM'd you. Glad we both have it figured out.

MannyP

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
did you replace the projector as well? if not, can you post a picture of how it looks with the stock projectors?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
did you replace the projector as well? if not, can you post a picture of how it looks with the stock projectors?
There are tons of pictures of people with Morimoto kits in their OEM lamps. Easy search.

*edit: There is actually 4 of the 5 similar threads below that are for what you're asking