Chris3k2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Ok. So I’ve been reading through most of the led and hid threads for about 6 months or so. Was originally gonna get the TRS jewel eye LEDs but decided to wait until some people reviewed them. Well as most people on here know already. They aren’t much better especially at such a huge premium tag.

I want HID’s. I need HID’s. I figure if I was willing to spend 1300 on barely better headlights then I can afford to spend the same amount on HID’s. My head is kinda spinning from the different options I can have for them. So my question is... With my budget of $1300 or so what should I be getting? I honestly don’t have the aptitude to work on opening up the headlights myself and doing a retrofit or conversion but I don’t mind paying for someone experienced to do this for me. I just want some real feedback on what I should go for with the budget I have.

Thanks for anyone’s time who reads and comments on this.
Sponsored

Royalz_2o9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Touring Sedan
Country flag
Ok. So I’ve been reading through most of the led and hid threads for about 6 months or so. Was originally gonna get the TRS jewel eye LEDs but decided to wait until some people reviewed them. Well as most people on here know already. They aren’t much better especially at such a huge premium tag.

I want HID’s. I need HID’s. I figure if I was willing to spend 1300 on barely better headlights then I can afford to spend the same amount on HID’s. My head is kinda spinning from the different options I can have for them. So my question is... With my budget of $1300 or so what should I be getting? I honestly don’t have the aptitude to work on opening up the headlights myself and doing a retrofit or conversion but I don’t mind paying for someone experienced to do this for me. I just want some real feedback on what I should go for with the budget I have.

Thanks for anyone’s time who reads and comments on this.
Brother just get an HID kit and install it in your projectors lol, no need to have such a high budget for replacement headlights if youre only trying to get HID's installed. I have factory Touring LED headlights and i love them but they dont compare to a nice pair of HID in projector specially in the rain.
http://www.morimotohid.com/h11-morimoto-elite.html?preselect=51812,54422,47309

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
$1300 is a high budget, depending on labour costs you can have money left over. I would be buying a projector retrofit kit from someone like theretrofitsource.com and paying somebody to install it for that kind of money. Preferences as to which kit to buy are all over the place, but my eye at the moment is on the Mini D2S 5.0. You might have luck reaching out to them to see if they know anyone in your area who does retrofits.

OP
OP

Chris3k2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Brother just get an HID kit and install it in your projectors lol, no need to have such a high budget for replacement headlights if youre only trying to get HID's installed. I have factory Touring LED headlights and i love them but they dont compare to a nice pair of HID in projector specially in the rain.
http://www.morimotohid.com/h11-morimoto-elite.html?preselect=51812,54422,47309
Thanks. Yeah I already came to the conclusion that HID’s are the better option. There’s just a lot of information that’s been thrown out there about the morimotos may be a little hit or miss with quality and the hylux brand is more consistent and of good quality. I’m just asking with the budget I have what is the best option for the best results. I’m not concerned about the looks of the headlights but I would want a clean and professional install and the equipment that would provide the best performance at night. If the total cost ends up being less than $1300 then great but I am comfortable spending up to that much. Thanks for your response.

OP
OP

Chris3k2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
$1300 is a high budget, depending on labour costs you can have money left over. I would be buying a projector retrofit kit from someone like theretrofitsource.com and paying somebody to install it for that kind of money. Preferences as to which kit to buy are all over the place, but my eye at the moment is on the Mini D2S 5.0. You might have luck reaching out to them to see if they know anyone in your area who does retrofits.
What would you go for with up to the same budget? I live in SC. So I’m only about 4 hours from their headquarters/store in Georgia. Would it be best to get their opinion on what I should get?

Sitio23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EX Civic
Country flag
What would you go for with up to the same budget? I live in SC. So I’m only about 4 hours from their headquarters/store in Georgia. Would it be best to get their opinion on what I should get?
I went with Morimoto and have not had any problems with their HID. Just make sure you buy the correct one for your car. I forgot which one i bought but they have not failed me since I have installed them!

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
If I lived as close as you do to TRS, I would have the mini 5.0 retrofitted in my car by now. Like you, I'm not as comfortable doing the retrofit part myself so I haven't gone there yet. If I had money to burn, I'd be looking at using a better OEM projector for the retrofit. PM the user on this site Acey, he can probably tell you what the best of the best is.

airickmatthews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic hatch sport
Country flag
I’m running just the mirimoto hid currently. I was eyeing the TRS led headlight option, but those have been on backorder for months now, not to mention, everyone and their mother is having issues with them. Apparently the adjusting knob breaks super easy and the beams just point downward. LED looks really good, but the throw of the output is nothing compared to a proper retrofit. I actually just purchased a spare set of OEM headlights, and the mirimoto mini d2s 5.0. Once they come in, I’m attempting the retrofit myself. Doesn’t seem too difficult, just time consuming. I hear nothing but positive things about those projectors, I’m pretty excited.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
I second doing your own retrofit if you can. I have a set of spare headlights that I picked up off eBay. With them I'll be putting in the Morimoto MH1 projector retro kit, along with the Morimoto 5500K HID kit. I'm also painting the housing black, which will help tie it all into the grill, etc. and I'll also be applying Suntek PPF to the lights to keep them from hazing and getting all busted up. There's a few YouTube videos that can help give you an idea, but it's pretty straight forward process, and the reward for doing it yourself is always a plus :thumbsup:.

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
Look, im all for the path of a retrofit and have done over 5 retrofits myself but the op has stated that he would rather fork out the funds then diy and i was just providing him some help with that

OP
OP

Chris3k2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I second doing your own retrofit if you can. I have a set of spare headlights that I picked up off eBay. With them I'll be putting in the Morimoto MH1 projector retro kit, along with the Morimoto 5500K HID kit. I'm also painting the housing black, which will help tie it all into the grill, etc. and I'll also be applying Suntek PPF to the lights to keep them from hazing and getting all busted up. There's a few YouTube videos that can help give you an idea, but it's pretty straight forward process, and the reward for doing it yourself is always a plus :thumbsup:.
I understand DIY’ing the retrofit and I agree it would be a lot more rewarding not to mention the experience I’d get from it... but it’s really outside of my comfort zone and I honestly believe I’ll end up wasting more money and effort doing it myself because i’d mess it up. Really appreciate the feedback though.

Look, im all for the path of a retrofit and have done over 5 retrofits myself but the op has stated that he would rather fork out the funds then diy and i was just providing him some help with that
Thanks for understanding. Exactly this. I’d rather have a professional take care of all this because I know my limitations.

I think my best option is Contacting TRS and lightwerkz and get some quotes together with everything I’m looking for. I’ll post updates when I get that done.
Sponsored