OP
OP
davin622

davin622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX / modern steel metallic
Is the jerk motion feel like the car is about to stale when driving stick. Example being releasing clutch too quickly. I understand its CVT just curious on the motion in which to describe it best. I dont feel that it should be a normal thing for a new car to have.
It feels more like a slipping old automatic transmission, A bit of a bump when it happens
Sponsored

OP
OP
davin622

davin622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you parked on a incline...
This issue happens on flat ground, most of the time when backing out of the supermarket parking spot and shifting to drive

OP
OP
davin622

davin622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Check the CVT fluid and see if it looks/smells burnt. If it does, show dealer. Make sure fluid level is good too.

Reverse taking long to engage is a classic sign of early transmission failure. You could also try shifting to neutral, waiting a second or so, and then going to reverse.

I had this exact issue on my 2007 Accord, and it was the auto tranny starting to go. Since it was out of warranty and I didn't really want to pay for a rebuild, I traded it in and got my '16 civic haha.

The only upside to this is that you have powertrain warranty so if the CVT grenades at least you'll get it replaced.
Can the fluid be checked on the new civic?

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
This issue happens on flat ground, most of the time when backing out of the supermarket parking spot and shifting to drive
We have a 2015 Civic too, with CVT and it did not break in for about 10K miles. Until it's broke in, it was crazy until then...or if that bad, go to dealer asap. There were some in the shop with replaced CVT's i have seen.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We have a 2015 Civic too, with CVT and it did not break in for about 10K miles. Until it's broke in, it was crazy until then...or if that bad, go to dealer asap. There were some in the shop with replaced CVT's i have seen.
10,000 miles to break in the transmission? Seems like a lot. Did someone from Honda tell you that? And what where the changes you felt after the "10,000 mile break in"

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10,000 miles to break in the transmission? Seems like a lot. Did someone from Honda tell you that? And what where the changes you felt after the "10,000 mile break in"
The band is VERY! tight new. Just believe me...won't steer you wrong. But if the issue, you believe is excessive, I would report it to the dealer asap.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The band is VERY! tight new. Just believe me...won't steer you wrong. But if the issue, you believe is excessive, I would report it to the dealer asap.
I've driven a couple other Hondas with the cvt the 15 civic hybrid and the 15 accord and there both a little jerky. Which leads me to believe it's not excessive in my car anymore. I hope your right.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
lol, if it took 10K miles to get broken in, I'd say that's closer to being just broken.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lol, if it took 10K miles to get broken in, I'd say that's closer to being just broken.
No, look up the tech on CVT, and you will see why....think of a tight rubber band. If you keep stretching it, it will become looser....

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
No, look up the tech on CVT, and you will see why....think of a tight rubber band. If you keep stretching it, it will become looser....
lol, preeetty sure Honda (and most if not all manufacturers) use either a steel belt, or steel/kevlar reinforced belt.
It's not the belt that changes length, the belt/chain length is static, and the two pulleys move changing the gear ratio.

I'm not saying your CVT didn't experience change over time, but to claim it "broke in" due to the belt after 10K miles is a bit silly.

Farcry1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Do you come to complete stop before shifting into drive? Did you 'always' come to complete stop before shifting into drive from reverse? The reason I ask 'always' because say you did it a few times, well damage is done already and these symptoms will always be around. I am not sure about cvt transmissions but in regular trans this is bad on the trans.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you come to complete stop before shifting into drive? Did you 'always' come to complete stop before shifting into drive from reverse? The reason I ask 'always' because say you did it a few times, well damage is done already and these symptoms will always be around. I am not sure about cvt transmissions but in regular trans this is bad on the trans.
Even on a regular transmission, it would take a few years of abusing it to do any kind of permanent damage like that. With CVTs I cannot say, but I imagine they can sustain a lot of abuse.

But if its taking 3-5 seconds to engage, thats not normal with low mileage like that, and I would even go as far as taking it to a different dealership until someone hears your case. They're telling you it's normal so they don't have to do any work.

My civic touring takes 1-1.5 seconds to engage when it is cold. Less when its warm. Does not matter if I am on a hill, dirt, paved road, etc.

I would recommend you check your fluids, and act accordingly.

OP
OP
davin622

davin622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I do always come to a complete stop before shifting and its a funny story why... my last vehicle was a 2004 chevy Tahoe with the 4l60e transmission, they were known for stripping the planetary gear and sunshell in the transmission if you did constant rolling shifts. So I have taught myself over the last few years to absolutely come to a complete stop before shifting because it will torch a transmission in some vehicles. That being said , the 4l60e was designed in the 1980's and the Honda cvt is obviously much newer so I don't know if they are even comparable whatsoever. But yes, complete stop always.
Sponsored