help with cvt

davin622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX / modern steel metallic
Hey guys,

I bought a 2016 civic ex a few months ago. It is the 2.0 and has 3300 miles. I'm having a strange issue when I back out of a parking space and put the car in drive, there is a 3-5 second delay before the car will go in drive. The engine revs up and then suddenly jolts forward in drive. The car is at a complete stop when I shift it. Its so bad and takes so long that sometimes people will honk at you to get moving. The issue happens about 25% of the time and happens when the vehicle is hot or cold. Has anyone experienced this problem? It feels like I'm driving a 96 explorer with 200,000 miles
Sponsored

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys,

I bought a 2016 civic ex a few months ago. It is the 2.0 and has 3300 miles. I'm having a strange issue when I back out of a parking space and put the car in drive, there is a 3-5 second delay before the car will go in drive. The engine revs up and then suddenly jolts forward in drive. The car is at a complete stop when I shift it. Its so bad and takes so long that sometimes people will honk at you to get moving. The issue happens about 25% of the time and happens when the vehicle is hot or cold. Has anyone experienced this problem? It feels like I'm driving a 96 explorer with 200,000 miles
Yes I have this in my touring with the 1.5 turbo. Big delay and when you put it into drive the rpms go up and then jerk down and the car will jolt foward. Dealer says normal like all the other issues with this car.

OP
OP
davin622

davin622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I have this in my touring with the 1.5 turbo. Big delay and when you put it into drive the rpms go up and then jerk down and the car will jolt foward. Dealer says normal like all the other issues with this car.

Does it feel like some sort of a hill assist or safety feature to you? Or do you think its a real "shouldn't happen" problem? My civic seems to drive good otherwise

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pull the dipstick and check the fluid.

Nah, just funnin'. Are you starting the car and immediately putting it into gear without giving it a few seconds to circulate the fluid? I've never had this issue, so I can't help much. Good luck.

OP
OP
davin622

davin622

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pull the dipstick and check the fluid.

Nah, just funnin'. Are you starting the car and immediately putting it into gear without giving it a few seconds to circulate the fluid? I've never had this issue, so I can't help much. Good luck.

Here in maine it has been 55-65 degrees in the morning and I let it warm up for about a minute before I take off. This issue happens even after driving for a couple of hours. There is no consistency. It happens on flat ground or hills, dirt or tar. Its just alarming how long it takes to go into gear and how hard it does it. I am afraid it will not get into gear one of these times soon. The vehicle has been to the dealer once already and I was told no problems

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The vehicle has been to the dealer once already and I was told no problems
only thing I know to say is, take it back and tell them yes there is a problem, and you want it fixed. If they don't believe you, take one of them for a drive until it happens.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Brining it to the dealer is probably going to be hopeless. I've had the car there 4 times for the cvt and each time they drove it they said everything felt normal. The delay and jerk when you put it into gear. They said the shuddering and bucking they couldn't replicate. And the jerks coming to a stop are normal because the cvt it releasing into a lower ratio. I even drove with the service manger and he says the car drives great. I have given up with bringing the car. Cooperate was no help at all either.

If you do bring it in and they find a problem with your car please let me know because then I'll give it another try.

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Here in maine it has been 55-65 degrees in the morning and I let it warm up for about a minute before I take off. This issue happens even after driving for a couple of hours. There is no consistency. It happens on flat ground or hills, dirt or tar. Its just alarming how long it takes to go into gear and how hard it does it. I am afraid it will not get into gear one of these times soon. The vehicle has been to the dealer once already and I was told no problems
Is it consistent each time you back up then go forward, or intermittent? If it's consistent the idle could be too high or, strangely, Gavnzdad's comment about fluid level could be right on. As only one other poster acknowledges a similar issue, suggest taking them both to dealer for diagnosis.

Ant918

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
The CVT is very jerky and there's always what feels like a second delay from when you hit the pedal to when the car moves, this is a given. Although I haven't noticed the 3-5 second delay on my Civic, I can certainly tell you on my 2016 WRX I do recall that happening a few times during the cold weather.

ichii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe and 2011 CR-Z
Country flag
Hey guys,

I would warm it up first before driving see if that helps, I have that issue with my CR-Z. Don't recall if the Civic has a indicator for cold engine.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The jerk and rpm jump Is a lot less when the car is warmed up. But still tends to want to jump foward when put into drive and get a little rpm jump.

Zange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 WoP Civic Touring
Country flag
Is the jerk motion feel like the car is about to stale when driving stick. Example being releasing clutch too quickly. I understand its CVT just curious on the motion in which to describe it best. I dont feel that it should be a normal thing for a new car to have.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Check the CVT fluid and see if it looks/smells burnt. If it does, show dealer. Make sure fluid level is good too.

Reverse taking long to engage is a classic sign of early transmission failure. You could also try shifting to neutral, waiting a second or so, and then going to reverse.

I had this exact issue on my 2007 Accord, and it was the auto tranny starting to go. Since it was out of warranty and I didn't really want to pay for a rebuild, I traded it in and got my '16 civic haha.

The only upside to this is that you have powertrain warranty so if the CVT grenades at least you'll get it replaced.