Help: Replacing sway bars on 1.5 civic

Mortax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Hello everyone
My car is 2018 Civic HB sport trim (manual). Since I dont want to touch the ECU upgrades before the end of the warranty I decided to upgrade the handling and friction of my car in the first 3 years.
The first station will be tires (I decided to stay with 17" for now but upgrade to better quality tyre like Michelin PS or Parmacy 4).
The second one is the brakes. Still thinking about the rotors but definitely going to change the pads. Still dont decided about the brand.
Now, for the main question. After reading this forum a lot I heard about changing the sway bars to the SI one. Since the cost is not so high, I thought it will be a good idea, but some questions still unclear:
1. Does SI bars work better than the TypeR? And why?
2. Do I need to change front and rear or only rear/front is OK?
3. What are the cons (the pros are obvious) of this replecement?
4. Is this something I can replace myself at home?
5. Is there some parts that are MUST to be replaced together with the sway bar?

Thank you all for the answers
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
This thread will have all your answers on the rear sway bar and installation.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/diy-...al-civic-sedan-coupe-hatch.15191/#post-280848

As far as Si versus Type R bar, it's a matter of cost and how far you want to go. The Si bar is much less expensive, but it's only a bit bigger than the one you currently have. It will be a bit of an improvement but the Type R bar will reduce understeer even more. But, in certain situations it could induce too much oversteer which could be dicey.

I bought the Si bar but haven't installed it yet.

On the other hand, getting better tires is honestly the best first handling upgrade you can do.

OP
OP

Mortax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
This thread will have all your answers on the rear sway bar and installation.
https://www.civicx.com/threads/diy-...al-civic-sedan-coupe-hatch.15191/#post-280848

As far as Si versus Type R bar, it's a matter of cost and how far you want to go. The Si bar is much less expensive, but it's only a bit bigger than the one you currently have. It will be a bit of an improvement but the Type R bar will reduce understeer even more. But, in certain situations it could induce too much oversteer which could be dicey.

I bought the Si bar but haven't installed it yet.

On the other hand, getting better tires is honestly the best first handling upgrade you can do.
First of all thank you for an answer.
I read all the replies at this topic. From what I understood that if I am not planing to make this car a track car - I suposed to get the SI bars.
Still, the question is - do I need both of them (front and rear) or only rear is ok?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First of all thank you for an answer.
I read all the replies at this topic. From what I understood that if I am not planing to make this car a track car - I suposed to get the SI bars.
Still, the question is - do I need both of them (front and rear) or only rear is ok?
You have to drop the subframe to change the front sway bar. For 99.9% of owners, it's not worth the trouble, unless you already have the subframe off the car for whatever reason. You'll find that most owners only upgrade the rear bar.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have to drop the subframe to change the front sway bar. For 99.9% of owners, it's not worth the trouble, unless you already have the subframe off the car for whatever reason. You'll find that most owners only upgrade the rear bar.
I am upgrading my clutch and flywheel, thinking to put on an aftermarket front sway bar.
RIght now I am running 20.5 CTR rear sway bar, does it worth the money to upgrade the front?
Sponsored