First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
Ok, it is a long story...
My 2016 civic ex blows warm air a month ago. my local dealer estimated over $1k for repair but he filed goodwill warranty request for me since I am just out of warranty for two months and very low milege 20k. It took more than 2 weeks, during which time, I relocated from NorthEast (PA) to Texas for job.

I wasn't expecting but a few days after I arrived at Texas, PA dealer called me and told me the case is approved, I pay out of pocket 150, goodwill warranty covers rest.

But I am already in Texas. So I figure the only way is to call Honda america to transfer my offer to local TX dealer.
I called honda america and opened a case. It seemed promising at first to get my warranty approved, they connected me to a local TX dealer to do the diagnosis. And then, TX dealer called me he got the part he ordered, it is so hot in Texas, I thought to fix it first, then wait to get whatever reimbursement Honda approves.
The dealer did fix the AC, and I paid $600 out of pocket to the dealer, but now Honda america saying they can't continue my case because I had the repair done.

WTF !! how does the repair done get to do with anything with their approval process? can't they just reimburse me with whatever amount they approve finally?
They keep saying the repair is not authorized, but who knows how long it will takes them to approve, in the mean time, I can't just wait around in the heat.
If they approve my original offer, can't they just reimburse me 600-150=450?
So pissed off.

my argument is there is a approved offer there in PA, just because of bad timing, I can't take the original offer and need to transfer a similar offer here in TX.
please comment which party is being unreasonable?
Sponsored

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had that happen to me in my tsx..the dealer ordered the parts and I had to go back to nj for a family issue and when I came back to Virginia I was 50miles over the extended warranty so it wasn't covered anymore smh...i was livid

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll find this with any car company though...i had the worst warranty experience with Hyundai though

Holtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Chock it up as a loss man. You'll drive yourself mad over $450.

Partly your fault with your complicated moving situation that you just have to place it on the books as bad timing. Secondly, not anyones problem you took the car to warm weather which forced you to get it fixed.
Third- they literally didn't have to do anything for you to begin with since you were out of warranty.

Here's how i look at it — you are taking for granted their nice attempt to help you in the beginning when you came with a problem.

Appreciate even they did that for you. Then you complicated the situation with moving + went ahead on your own terms to get a repair done without even getting an okay to move ahead and be reimbursed.

Sorry for the rant... but be lucky you are not out for more money. Life lesson and didnt cost you $3000 for example.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Ok, it is a long story...
My 2016 civic ex blows warm air a month ago. my local dealer estimated over $1k for repair but he filed goodwill warranty request for me since I am just out of warranty for two months and very low milege 20k. It took more than 2 weeks, during which time, I relocated from NorthEast (PA) to Texas for job.

I wasn't expecting but a few days after I arrived at Texas, PA dealer called me and told me the case is approved, I pay out of pocket 150, goodwill warranty covers rest.

But I am already in Texas. So I figure the only way is to call Honda america to transfer my offer to local TX dealer.
I called honda america and opened a case. It seemed promising at first to get my warranty approved, they connected me to a local TX dealer to do the diagnosis. And then, TX dealer called me he got the part he ordered, it is so hot in Texas, I thought to fix it first, then wait to get whatever reimbursement Honda approves.
The dealer did fix the AC, and I paid $600 out of pocket to the dealer, but now Honda america saying they can't continue my case because I had the repair done.

WTF !! how does the repair done get to do with anything with their approval process? can't they just reimburse me with whatever amount they approve finally?
They keep saying the repair is not authorized, but who knows how long it will takes them to approve, in the mean time, I can't just wait around in the heat.
If they approve my original offer, can't they just reimburse me 600-150=450?
So pissed off.

my argument is there is a approved offer there in PA, just because of bad timing, I can't take the original offer and need to transfer a similar offer here in TX.
please comment which party is being unreasonable?
It sucks but Honda America has a process and you went outside the process. Your dealership charged you 600 but they would have charged Honda America much less. This complicates the situation. I do hope that Honda America can still do something for you.

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Honda might sound like they're being a jerk but they're definitely in the right in this situation IMO.

They didn't have to approve you for a goodwill repair when you're out of warranty with no vehicle service contract (I'm assuming).

You moved and didn't wait for approval before getting it repaired in TX. Honda would've paid the dealership less than $600 (prob less than $450) for the repair.

Last edited:
OP
OP

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
Points taken, but two things I feel I would like to point out:
1, the bad timing is part of Honda's fault, in my opinion, PA dealer originally said it takes two days, but it took more than two weeks, during that time I had to relocate, otherwise I would have fixed it in PA, everyone is happy.
2. I have an approved goodwill warranty case in PA, why is it different in Texas? In fact, Honda civic has AC issue for 2016 model and after, they should really recall it, but they choose to do spot repairs. And that is why PA warranty is approved.

OP
OP

fuhongl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016
Country flag
So can anyone help me understand, if I didn't do the repair, how would Honda america proceed if they do approve? they won't tell me that.
so Honda america would pay, say $300, to TX dealer, I pay $150 out of pocket to dealer?
If so, why can't they simply reimburse that $300 to me now that I paid the whole thing?

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
So can anyone help me understand, if I didn't do the repair, how would Honda america proceed if they do approve? they won't tell me that.
so Honda america would pay, say $300, to TX dealer, I pay $150 out of pocket to dealer?
If so, why can't they simply reimburse that $300 to me now that I paid the whole thing?
Not a single manufacturer or even extended warranty that you PURCHASE would work with that. You didnt follow procedure and took it upon yourself to authorize the repair. I understand your frustration but it does seem to be a bad combination of scenarios and I also suggest you chalk it up as a loss to prevent burning a future bridge of ever asking them for assistance.

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda might sound like they're being a jerk but they're definitely in the right in this situation IMO.

They didn't have to approve you for a goodwill repair when you're out of warranty with no vehicle service contract (I'm assuming).

You moved and didn't wait for approval before getting it repaired in TX. Honda would've paid the dealership less than $600 (prob less than $450) for the repair.
I agree with this. It doesn’t reduce the suckiness of the situation, though.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Points taken, but two things I feel I would like to point out:
1, the bad timing is part of Honda's fault, in my opinion, PA dealer originally said it takes two days, but it took more than two weeks, during that time I had to relocate, otherwise I would have fixed it in PA, everyone is happy.
2. I have an approved goodwill warranty case in PA, why is it different in Texas? In fact, Honda civic has AC issue for 2016 model and after, they should really recall it, but they choose to do spot repairs. And that is why PA warranty is approved.
1) The PA dealer shouldn't have set an expectation and may have told you incorrect information (Playing devil's advocate here. It might not be Honda America's fault).
2) Dealerships are privately owned. The PA dealer asked Honda America for goodwill and they approved it. It sounds like there was an agreement between that dealer and Honda America. The Texas dealer probably has to go through the same process for goodwill. In hindsight you should have waited for approval before going through with the repair.

No clue what the process is but the dealerships are privately owned. You paid the dealer, not Honda America. What you're asking now is for either Honda America to eat the added cost or for the dealer to give up some profit. The dealer wouldn't be paid as much by Honda America and as far as your dealer is concerned, they've given you the service you paid for and it's a done deal. Did you explain everything to the Texas dealer beforehand and did they promise you a refund when you authorized the repair for $600?

Please do keep us updated with what happens. You've asked for opinions and I don't think Honda America has done anything wrong. I do hope Honda America can still do something for you since this is a crappy situation.

Last edited:

Hondaman_MI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic EX-T
Country flag
I moved to SC last week, and finally started using my AC on a regular basis. This is the weakest AC I've had in a car. I'm contemplating taking it into a dealer. It's not ice cold like other cars. More like regular vent temps.

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
It would seem it's more to do with your laws in America, or shall I say lack there of.

In Australia you get unlimited kilometres, 5 year or 7 year voluntary warranty with a new Honda.

But our laws, state that items must last a reasonable amount of time based on the price paid for them. And that there is no set end date for any warranty on any item sold here, this also means there is no such thing as extended warranty here.

I know it's not helpful in your situation but it's chalk and cheese difference what you get here compared to there.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Unfortunate situation, but maybe what is even more unfortunate & frustrating, is that all your original A/C probably needed was to be topped back up with refrigerant.
- something you could have done for yourself for about $100 (Gauge + 2 cans of Refrigerant), and having bought the initial Gauge, you would have had another few top-ups left in the cans as well for the next few years,

Boosted1one

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crystal Black FI FC1 Si ✓
My last post was about my disappointment with Honda Corp.

Sadly large corporations can just step on its customers... fine print and outweighs morals and ethics. When these $$ corps flex on the little guy and are taken advantage of.... the peoples we tell him "serves him right", "he should have known".... he the "one in the wrong"

From what Ive read about OPs situation. It could have happened to anyone. I know it could have happened to me.

Lets consider just one factor in all this. Moving.
Don't know if anyone else here has had to move for work. Its not exactly the easiest thing to do.
I imagine just the MOVE alone would have been stressful. Personal, work, social adjustments. Not to mention probable culture shock 180 of moving your life from FREEZING Pennsylvania to one of the hottest States weve got.

Now, combine all that with the short notice and I can see how OP went with the "what should work" plan instead of reading the pages of fine print and "please hold" phone calls.

There could be a lot on OPs plate for all we know, but it seems he worked out a plan that makes sense and rational.

Many will not agree, but Honda is in the wrong here.

Not OP.

I am not going to blame him for formulating an alternate plan that would have made sense in almost any other common sense business/consumer buy/sell transaction .

They may have played by the "books". Still doesnt make it right. Corrupt books and system may be the norm, but what is "normal" can also often be wrong.

Corporations like Honda may be given the rights like that of a human in our capitalistic society. But without a heart they'll always be cold, as we are viewed as nothing more than $ generators.

Sorry to hear about what's going on.

Honda can certainly afford to help out a paying customer in a tough spot if they wanted to... although I can't tell you if the stress in persuing this is worth it.

This may just be one of those hard life lessons were you bite the bullet, write it off as a loss. Then learn and move forward from it for your own sanity.

Hoping it works out somehow.

God bless.
Sponsored