First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
Hey everyone,

My name is Anthony and I am the proud owner of a 17 Sonic Gray Sport. I have had the car for a little over a year with 12k miles. After “break in” at about 1k miles I threw in a short ram intake and uploaded Hondatas +3 psi tune. After a couple thousand miles with this set up I tried out the 9 psi tune and noticed the stock clutch slipping under heavy load. So I began researching which clutch kit would be best for me considering I also wanted to upgrade the downpipe and exhaust and be able to hold the added power.

About a month ago I pulled the trigger on the fx300 and a replacement DMF and had it installed. I might also add I reflashed it back to stock for the clutch break in period. I must say I am very pleased with the over feel and drivability of the clutch kit. It is much smoother than I expected and I actually think it’s easier to use versus the stock clutch. I did the normal 500 miles of stop and go driving like my grandma was in the car not exceeding 4K Rpms or hitting peak boost. At 500 I installed the AFE catted downpipe while still on the stock tune.

I am now at 720 miles and figured I would get into a little spirited driving to see how this clutch holds. I do want to reach 1000 miles before fully letting loose. So here’s my question: I did both a 3rd and 4th gear pull from about 2500 to 4000 rpms WOT and noticed slight clutch slippage. When I let off the gas I would feel the clutch catch up with the engine. Any idea why this is happening? Is it any bit normal? Should I hold of on full throttle for another few hundred miles?

Keep in mind I have a SRI, 3” downpipe and catback... still not tuned and I am currently running stock boost levels. I am a little concerned and worried considering I did plenty of research and spent a nice chunk of change here. Please share any experience or tips. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

kseriesparts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Integra Type-R, 02 RSX Type-S, 2016 Honda Accord v6, 2000 Integra GSR
Country flag
I have a brand new dmf sent from clutchmasters
From what I have read all the pieces should be in place to have a properly working clutch kit. You could drive it a few hundred more miles and see if that helps, but at 720 I would think you would be ok. Clutch Masters has a really good Honda sales guy, you could hit him up and pick his brain also.

OP
OP
Asgroi9399

Asgroi9399

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
From what I have read all the pieces should be in place to have a properly working clutch kit. You could drive it a few hundred more miles and see if that helps, but at 720 I would think you would be ok. Clutch Masters has a really good Honda sales guy, you could hit him up and pick his brain also.
Thanks, Any idea what his name is ?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm slightly surprised you are having trouble, but the CM quality has been a bit all over the place on this gen. Hopefully they can help you out, definitely reach out to them directly.

kseriesparts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Integra Type-R, 02 RSX Type-S, 2016 Honda Accord v6, 2000 Integra GSR
Country flag
I'm slightly surprised you are having trouble, but the CM quality has been a bit all over the place on this gen. Hopefully they can help you out, definitely reach out to them directly.
I agree with them have a little more issues this Gen. They are spot on for K series, me and my friends ran them for drag and road racing with 0 issues.

hfpdohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hatch 2017 M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i heard never fully boost under 3500 rpm......maybe its that?

OP
OP
Asgroi9399

Asgroi9399

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
i heard never fully boost under 3500 rpm......maybe its that?
Maybe but I figured a stage 3 clutch would handle any torque especially on a stock tune! I’ve been doing a ton of research and some forums for other applications say break a Kevlar clutch in for up to 2000 miles and sometimes they do slip during break in, so I’ll just keep babying it for now. Guess we’ll see what happens.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe but I figured a stage 3 clutch would handle any torque especially on a stock tune! I’ve been doing a ton of research and some forums for other applications say break a Kevlar clutch in for up to 2000 miles and sometimes they do slip during break in, so I’ll just keep babying it for now. Guess we’ll see what happens.
Not a bad idea.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
There is some under power bedding that will happen to complete the break in. I wouldn't panic and keep driving it. Maybe treat it like OEM clutch while giving it the juice progressively earlier rpm wise (starting off 4k and up before wot) and see how it does.

OP
OP
Asgroi9399

Asgroi9399

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
There is some under power bedding that will happen to complete the break in. I wouldn't panic and keep driving it. Maybe treat it like OEM clutch while giving it the juice progressively earlier rpm wise (starting off 4k and up before wot) and see how it does.
Thanks man.. yea I’m trying not to panic haha. I’m gonna do that for a lil while. Are you saying I should bring it over 4K just light throttle?

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Thanks man.. yea I’m trying not to panic haha. I’m gonna do that for a lil while. Are you saying I should bring it over 4K just light throttle?
Yes. Given the mileage that you have put on it high rpm full power would be good to let it start seeing some of what your expecting. Then taper your "start rpm" down lower through usage and more miles.

Just as a for instance when I first got my car it was flashed by 1100 miles and using no lift to shift on a +6 map the first time it "slip engaged" pretty good. Since that happened maybe 2-3 times it stopped and I have thrown the coal at it so to speak ever since. Now at 10k and cant seem to make it slip even on a custom +9 I made.
Sponsored