Help me plan the switch! From stock all season to summer!

Do you like the oem alloy wheels?

• Yes

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Drek12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
I will start off by saying I've never been a huge car guy. I drove what I had and was happy with it. As it always will though, the time came for a new ride and well now I am now the proud owner of a new 2016 civic exl and am absolutely loving it! But the one thing I would like to add is new tires and wheels. Tires most importantly. After some research my plan is to get max performance tires right now and get winter tires when the time comes. My main priority is more performance in the summer months compared to stock but without completely compromising the noise and ride comfort quality.

I was thinking the Hankook Ventus V12 evo 2 linked below looks like a great deal. $300 after rebate for a set of 4. Am I on the right track or do I need to consider other tires?

New wheels is not as important but if I did I think I would go with the below oem alloy wheels. Main consideration is if I want to spend the money.

Thanks in advance. Any advice is appreciated and Congrats to everyone who owns the amazing new civic!!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...r=2016&autoModel=Civic Sedan&autoModClar=EX-L

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08W17-TBA-100.html
Sponsored

justinsmag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic, Mazda3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
go for it bud!

Save the stock tires for when you trade in the car for the Type R =)

OP
OP

Drek12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
go for it bud!

Save the stock tires for when you trade in the car for the Type R =)
Type R does sound nice. But maybe in a few years. Loving my exl right now. I am hoping I could sell the stock wheels and tires with it if possible. Hopefully make the overall cost of upgrading not as much.

Anyone have an opinion on the specific tires I was looking at? Besides tire rack saying they will fit I have no idea if they are really a good choice or not for the civic.

Frost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic LX 2016
I am not a car guy either.
So as one not a car guy to another, I would mention your desire for ride comfort
may not be compatible with a W speed rated, high performance tire.

It will have a stiffer sidewall.
You'll notice the tire also has a higher load rating which is good, but...

While all of this is great for cornering the tire will almost certainly have
a much firmer ride than the OEM tires.
Going over rough roads or railroad tracks, your ride may be a little harsh.

I come from a Mazda with V rated tires., my winter tires were H rated.
Hell they were performance tires compared to most passenger oem's.
But one thing I noticed was some people did not appreciate the firm ride.

As you go up the performance ladder, enthusiasts will make sacrifices, such as treadwear for performance.
They will also sacrifice comfort for performance.
They find the trade acceptable.

It will be up to you of course, but be aware of this.

OP
OP

Drek12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
I am not a car guy either.
So as one not a car guy to another, I would mention your desire for ride comfort
may not be compatible with a W speed rated, high performance tire.

It will have a stiffer sidewall.
You'll notice the tire also has a higher load rating which is good, but...

While all of this is great for cornering the tire will almost certainly have
a much firmer ride than the OEM tires.
Going over rough roads or railroad tracks, your ride may be a little harsh.

I come from a Mazda with V rated tires., my winter tires were H rated.
Hell they were performance tires compared to most passenger oem's.
But one thing I noticed was some people did not appreciate the firm ride.

As you go up the performance ladder, enthusiasts will make sacrifices, such as treadwear for performance.
They will also sacrifice comfort for performance.
They find the trade acceptable.

It will be up to you of course, but be aware of this.

Thanks! This was exactly what I was looking for. I know nothing is for free. Saying goes for tire performance as well. I am fine sacrificing a bit of comfort for performance. My main concern was I didn't want to just totally throw comfort out the window. The comfort and noise rating on these tires according to tire rack looks pretty decent. 8/10 does not seem bad. I'm curious where the stock wheels would fit on this scale. I can live with going from 9/10 to 8/10 in the comfort department.

BoringOhio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Check out www.tirerack.com and look at their reviews and the customer reviews of the max performance summer tires. It's really informative and if you have any questions about wheel/tire fitment their live chat support is quick and reliable. I believe they guarantee their recommendations will fit.

The best in class max performance summer tire is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which, for the 235/40/18 tires I went with to fit my new 18x8 wheels, run about $750ish for a set. I'm getting the wheels and tires put on Tuesday morning (along with my red MGP Honda logo caliper covers :cool:) and I'll let you know how they are.

OP
OP

Drek12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Check out www.tirerack.com and look at their reviews and the customer reviews of the max performance summer tires. It's really informative and if you have any questions about wheel/tire fitment their live chat support is quick and reliable. I believe they guarantee their recommendations will fit.

The best in class max performance summer tire is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport which, for the 235/40/18 tires I went with to fit my new 18x8 wheels, run about $750ish for a set. I'm getting the wheels and tires put on Tuesday morning (along with my red MGP Honda logo caliper covers :cool:) and I'll let you know how they are.
The Michelin PSS were actually the first tires I was considering. Let me know how they perform! I have heard great things. But not sure if it's worth double the price of the hankooks I was checking out
Sponsored