HELP! Dealership wants their car back or I fork out more money. WTF Honda.

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
So the dealership just calls me and tells me that I don't qualify for the $500 recent grad discount. He said that since I graduated medical school instead of bachelor's that it wouldn't count so I would have to pay another $500. This basically makes my "great deal" nearly the same as other dealerships. Kind of pissing me off since they ran through a similar routine when I bought the car and tried making me finance $10000 instead of the $7500 which would've made the interest a lot higher. My other option is to just undo the deal and get my old car back and my money back which I'm kind of leaning towards at this point. What do you guys think, is this something that Honda dealerships typically do?
Sponsored

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Have you signed any paperwork? I am confused.. He called after you left with paperwork and a car? then its on them. Or did someone realize as they reviewed paper, but you hadn't signed anything, that they made a mistake?

If you have signed paperwork and possession of the new car, its on them. If there is no signed contract, its a shit move, but it is legal. As for "getting your old car back".. well.. guess that would depend on what they've already done to it.

OP
OP
Goseki

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
We signed the contract and everything. I've had the car for about 5 days now. Part of the discount on the contract was the $500 recent graduate rebate. Now he calls and says that I didn't qualify per Honda Financing and that I would have to pay the rebate back.

Looking online, I guess this is a scummy tactic. Tell people they qualify for some rebate through financing, then tell them no so they end up paying more.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I'm not aware of any lawyers on the forum, and it sounds like you might need one. Of course retaining a lawyer is likely to cost more than $500. You should probably just return the car and get your old car back. AKA CALLING THEIR BLUFF. I'd be surprised if they actually went through with it.

OP
OP
Goseki

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
Luckily, I have a lawyer on retainer. I'm telling them I want my old car, which at this point I do. Kind of ridiculous.

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance
Bring the car back and they'll forget about the $500. I agree with Micah.I believe they're taking a shot at scaring you into paying the $500.
They'll lose $500 with the mileage you just put on. Especially if it's a couple of hundred miles.
You won't need a lawyer.

OP
OP
Goseki

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
Bring the car back and they'll forget about the $500. I agree with Micah.I believe they're taking a shot at scaring you into paying the $500.
They'll lose $500 with the mileage you just put on. Especially if it's a couple of hundred miles.
You won't need a lawyer.
True, I didn't even think about the mileage.

joecin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Touring-'18 Acura RDX Advance
True, I didn't even think about the mileage.
I still think they are bluffing but put some more mileage on it just in case. :)

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Unwinding a deal costs more than $500. The mileage is irrelevant - if it's been registered, it's not a new car anymore. Ask to get your car back - they'll back off.

It's not your fault they gave you a rebate and it turns out you don't qualify. That's something they should have checked on before they gave you the rebate.

Lola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Damn I hate car dealers! What a bunch of scum artists. Seems I read of a similar instance not too long ago - perhaps on this very site - of a dealer calling a buyer a week or so after the sale and trying to shake them down for more $ for some bullshit reason or other.
I’d definitely call their bluff. Your old car is probably long gone by now anyway.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Damn I hate car dealers! What a bunch of scum artists. Seems I read of a similar instance not too long ago - perhaps on this very site - of a dealer calling a buyer a week or so after the sale and trying to shake them down for more $ for some bullshit reason or other.
I’d definitely call their bluff. Your old car is probably long gone by now anyway.
Was it the guy who leased the HFP Si and they only charged him for a standard Si? I just bumped that thread asking for an update on what happened.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Its their error.. they eat the $500.

Also, calling you is not sufficient. They send a letter? ok.. Honda Financial sends you a letter? then maybe its time to lawyer up. Fact is, it sounds like someone at the dealer effed up.. their manager caught it (or the Finance arm caught it) and now they hope to shake you down for money they should be eating for their mistake.

Given that you've had the new car for 5+ days, there is a good chance that your trade in (assume not lease turn in) has been sold or wholesaled out and is not retrievable.
Sponsored

Last edited: