Help! Clunking/Clicking noise when accelerating/decelerating...

hcblu1015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and a first-time Civic owner. I bought my 2016 EX w/ Sensing in December, and pretty shortly after I started to notice a clicking/clunking noise (1-3 clicks each time I press or depress the gas pedal) coming from the front end of the car when accelerating and decelerating at low speeds and low RPM.

I brought it into my local dealer (at about 3,600 miles) and they told me that they drove other like vehicles and heard the same noise, deeming it normal. I was not having this, so I brought it back in for the foreman to take a look. I went on a drive with him and he confirmed it is not normal. So, he proceeds to replace an exhaust pipe and claim that it's fixed. It's not. So I bring it back in and they replace a tranny mount, again claiming it's fixed. Again, it's not.

On my fourth visit, they decide to bring in a regional tech. According to the service advisor, the regional tech inspected the transmission and found that it was functioning normally. He apparently drove other like vehicles and heard the noise on them, too. They concluded that this is a "normal" function of the CVT. When I drove a 2017 EX on their lot, I did not hear the noise and told them that this was an unacceptable response, but they said they could no longer help me and that I should call Honda corporate.

Honda Customer Service rep told me to take my car to another dealer and compare my car with other similar cars on their lot to see if the noise occurs in those. If that dealer can't/won't fix it, then I should call back.

I'm at my wits end here, guys. I'm prepared to take the car to another dealer, but I'd really, really appreciate some advice on how to proceed with them/get them to fix my damn car. I feel that I was stonewalled and lied to bc I'm a woman -_- A brand new car should NOT be making this type of noise, amirite???
Sponsored

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is a sticky with links to many of the TSBs. One of them regards brake clicking, which may be what you are hearing. If so, it is apparently normal.

http://www.civicx.com/attachments/june-2016-brake-clicking-is-normal-pdf.31391/

I have a similar sound when coming to a stop with moderate to hard braking. I hear a clunk/grind sound coming from what seems to be the brakes. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet.

OP
OP

hcblu1015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
There is a sticky with links to many of the TSBs. One of them regards brake clicking, which may be what you are hearing. If so, it is apparently normal.

http://www.civicx.com/attachments/june-2016-brake-clicking-is-normal-pdf.31391/

I have a similar sound when coming to a stop with moderate to hard braking. I hear a clunk/grind sound coming from what seems to be the brakes. Haven't taken it to the dealer yet.
Hi! Thanks for the response!

I should clarify, the clicking noise on my car occurs when I press and depress the gas pedal, not when braking. I wish there was a TSB for that :(

Sng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic ex 2018
My 2018 ex has the same clicking noise when apply on gas pedal. I wonder did you get it fixed or resolved by Honda?

digiledger1

First Name
Digi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic

I should clarify, the clicking noise on my car occurs when I press and depress the gas pedal, not when braking. I wish there was a TSB for that :(
Hi, My Civic Hatch 2017,(VTi) (Australia) has similar click sounds, I reckon from the CVT transmission, when accelerating/decelerating, the service advisor said he will get back to be, as they could not figure out where the issue was,

He took me for the test ride in VTi-S model, there was no such sounds......

c1vic

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2018 EX
Country flag
My 2018 ex does the same. Did you guys get it fixed or it’s normal?

SengChin

First Name
SengChin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Country flag

Hi, how did you resolve this problem? I think we have the same problem. I have a Civic X 1.6A

delsoldon

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T sedan / '18 Civic EX hatch / '12 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
And I think I am hearing this same problem on my '17 EX-T with CVT. I can't tell if it's the outer CV joint, the brakes, spring isolator, shock, or CVT making the noise. Anybody actually go to the dealer on this?

TheMarkedOne

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Late but I am also hearing this from my 19 sport hatch. I am lead to believe this is a normal thing.

delsoldon

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T sedan / '18 Civic EX hatch / '12 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Late but I am also hearing this from my 19 sport hatch. I am lead to believe this is a normal thing.
After 3 trips to the dealer, I think they may have fixed mine.

1st trip, they just looked it over, tightened some things, checked for rocks/gravel in the moving parts, then decided that they wanted to replace the front struts (which they didn't have any in stock)
2nd trip, they replaced the front struts, noise was still there, so then they thought the issue was one of the motor mounts (again, didn't have any in stock)
3rd tip, they replaced the motor mount and swaybar endlink... and as of now, I don't hear the noise

I think mine was in fact the motor mount squeaking as I could only hear it when the engine was torquing, not just going over bumps (like a suspension related component would make noise)

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
After 3 trips to the dealer, I think they may have fixed mine.

1st trip, they just looked it over, tightened some things, checked for rocks/gravel in the moving parts, then decided that they wanted to replace the front struts (which they didn't have any in stock)
2nd trip, they replaced the front struts, noise was still there, so then they thought the issue was one of the motor mounts (again, didn't have any in stock)
3rd tip, they replaced the motor mount and swaybar endlink... and as of now, I don't hear the noise

I think mine was in fact the motor mount squeaking as I could only hear it when the engine was torquing, not just going over bumps (like a suspension related component would make noise)
Yes, the culprit is the transmission mount on the driver's side. Got mine changed out and the noise is gone.

Maxum

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
I've never driven a CVT car before, but lots of CVT ATV's and they all clicked. I'm assuming a car would be no different.

FK7Build

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and a first-time Civic owner. I bought my 2016 EX w/ Sensing in December, and pretty shortly after I started to notice a clicking/clunking noise (1-3 clicks each time I press or depress the gas pedal) coming from the front end of the car when accelerating and decelerating at low speeds and low RPM.

I brought it into my local dealer (at about 3,600 miles) and they told me that they drove other like vehicles and heard the same noise, deeming it normal. I was not having this, so I brought it back in for the foreman to take a look. I went on a drive with him and he confirmed it is not normal. So, he proceeds to replace an exhaust pipe and claim that it's fixed. It's not. So I bring it back in and they replace a tranny mount, again claiming it's fixed. Again, it's not.

On my fourth visit, they decide to bring in a regional tech. According to the service advisor, the regional tech inspected the transmission and found that it was functioning normally. He apparently drove other like vehicles and heard the noise on them, too. They concluded that this is a "normal" function of the CVT. When I drove a 2017 EX on their lot, I did not hear the noise and told them that this was an unacceptable response, but they said they could no longer help me and that I should call Honda corporate.

Honda Customer Service rep told me to take my car to another dealer and compare my car with other similar cars on their lot to see if the noise occurs in those. If that dealer can't/won't fix it, then I should call back.

I'm at my wits end here, guys. I'm prepared to take the car to another dealer, but I'd really, really appreciate some advice on how to proceed with them/get them to fix my damn car. I feel that I was stonewalled and lied to bc I'm a woman -_- A brand new car should NOT be making this type of noise, amirite???
Were you ever able to figure this out?
Sponsored