Help! Can't align lower arm bolt hole for rear suspension

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
So I'm in the process of installing coilovers on the car, rear seemed to be really straight forward until I tried putting everything together. For a job that should have taken no more than an hour, I was struggling to get the lower arm bolt hole to line up. Everything on the driver's side is loosely fastened, and not torqued down, I haven't touched the passenger side yet. No matter what I do, once I jack up the lower arm, the bolt hole doesn't line up. It's driving me nuts. Should I have loosened the endlink to the rear sway bar on the passenger side for more potential slack? Installing the rear suspension shouldn't be this hard right? Or is there something totally off with the alignment after removing the bolts?

Honda Civic 10th gen Help! Can't align lower arm bolt hole for rear suspension IMG-5906.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

ycehcky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
You need a set of alignment punches(steel "rods" that are smaller on one end and get bigger toward other end) and a prybar. I do not know how to explain to help though, but I will try. Push the alignment pin in the hole, do not jam it and pry the suspension until it lines up. Push bolt through once it is the all clear, so you do not mess up the threads.

OP
OP
Mugenkb1

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You need a set of alignment punches(steel "rods" that are smaller on one end and get bigger toward other end) and a prybar. I do not know how to explain to help though, but I will try. Push the alignment pin in the hole, do not jam it and pry the suspension until it lines up. Push bolt through once it is the all clear, so you do not mess up the threads.
Do you have a link to the alignment punches you’d recommend? Looked them on amazon and there were a bunch. Or would the local homedepot or Lowe’s have them? I tried prying the knuckle with my hands and it like has no give whatsoever.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Do you have a link to the alignment punches you’d recommend? Looked them on amazon and there were a bunch. Or would the local homedepot or Lowe’s have them? I tried prying the knuckle with my hands and it like has no give whatsoever.
i would look at your local autoparts store

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
just use a screwdriver to align it or anything that fits in the hole so you can pry on it

OP
OP
Mugenkb1

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Seems like the solution is to use a pin or something to pry on it to align it back. Just wondering, is it a common occurrence? Or is it because I messed up? Because this aligning step with the pins was not mentioned in any of the installation instructions (from service express, or the manual from HKS).

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Seems like the solution is to use a pin or something to pry on it to align it back. Just wondering, is it a common occurrence? Or is it because I messed up? Because this aligning step with the pins was not mentioned in any of the installation instructions (from service express, or the manual from HKS).
it's a common thing to do
if you loosen your lower strut bolt. you can probably slide that bolt in easily

ycehcky

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Yes, any time you disconnect the suspension parts move. It does not mean it's misaligned though. Sometimes it works out with the jack method, but sometimes you need to take it off the jack so it can move.

OP
OP
Mugenkb1

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
it's a common thing to do
if you loosen your lower strut bolt. you can probably slide that bolt in easily
I did loosen it, but it wouldn’t budge. I’m curious to take apart the other side and see if I run into the same problem..

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
I did loosen it, but it wouldn’t budge. I’m curious to take apart the other side and see if I run into the same problem..
just stick a big screwdriver in there and pry on it on the other side til it lines up.
It's really common thing to do

jayzon831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback sport cvt, 2003 Acura RSX (totaled)
Country flag
I ran into this issue yesterday when I installed my rear springs. I stuck a blunt screwdriver in there to pry it into place, then pushed the bolt through and tightened it. In hindsight, I risked messing up the inner threads, but I was pretty annoyed at the time.

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
What I do is use a jack to raise up the control arm so the bolt is not under tension from the springs. Then I tighten the bolt. Should be torqued to 51 Ft Lbs per Hondas specs.

OP
OP
Mugenkb1

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the input guys. But problem solved! I don’t know how I couldn’t figure this out, might be because it was late yesterday and I just wasn’t thinking. But I basically wedged a metal stake in between the lower arm and the knuckle and just leveraged it in place. Pretty easy actually.

Honda Civic 10th gen Help! Can't align lower arm bolt hole for rear suspension 45E0656C-02FD-4F3F-82B2-07FDEAE24751

SUL73NAZ

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
I see you have the HKS Coilovers. Let me know what you think about them/give us a review!
Sponsored