Beardedfk7

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport 1.5l turbo
Country flag
I tore a inner boot, so I decided to replace the entire passenger side driveshaft. I can’t seem to pry the axle off from the spline.
if anyone can tell me what I’m doing wrong, or if I’m missing something that would be great. I can’t find any information for removing the driveshaft online.
please help, this is extremely frustrating and I’m not mechanic. Haha thanks in advanced!
Sponsored

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In don't know if this applies to our cars or not, but I've changed more than a few CV axles and sometimes you gotta push it in a bit and twist it, they used some type of c clip.
Again this was on my older cars but you can try.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Are you saying you can't get the axle to push out of the hub? Or you can't get the axle to come off the intermediate shaft?

To get the axle out of the hub you have to remove the axle nut then pound the end of the axle with a mallet while pulling the hub/rotor assembly outward against the direction of your hammering.

In order to get the hub/rotor assembly to move outward, you'll have to unbolt the ball joint from the lower control arm via the 3 nuts. Then lift the knuckle up out of the lower control arm and you can pull it outward while pounding the axle.

Obligatory "You all everybody!"

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
I tore a inner boot, so I decided to replace the entire passenger side driveshaft. I can’t seem to pry the axle off from the spline.
if anyone can tell me what I’m doing wrong, or if I’m missing something that would be great. I can’t find any information for removing the driveshaft online.
please help, this is extremely frustrating and I’m not mechanic. Haha thanks in advanced!
If you mean you cannot pull the joint from the transmission, what you're experiencing is not abnormal. You usually need a pry bar to pop it out and some are a real SOB.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
If you mean you cannot pull the joint from the transmission, what you're experiencing is not abnormal. You usually need a pry bar to pop it out and some are a real SOB.
Only the driver's side axle has a retaining ring and requires prying to pop out of the transmission. The passenger side intermediate shaft has a bearing that bolts to the engine that holds it in place. Removing the 3 bolts allows you to simply pull it out with no resistance.

But if he's only replacing the axle and not the intermediate shaft as he should, he has to pry the axle out of the intermediate shaft where it does have a retaining ring.

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Only the driver's side axle has a retaining ring and requires prying to pop out of the transmission. The passenger side intermediate shaft has a bearing that bolts to the engine that holds it in place. Removing the 3 bolts allows you to simply pull it out with no resistance.

But if he's only replacing the axle and not the intermediate shaft as he should, he has to pry the axle out of the intermediate shaft where it does have a retaining ring.
Nice. It's not entirely clear what his objective is, but your information should be of help. Thanks.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey guys ,forgive me for my lack of knowledge here, but it's been a long time since I fooled with this stuff and only on older cars as I mentioned.
What is the intermediate shaft?
On the stuff I replaced the CV axles just popped right into the transmission, obviously the passenger side was a lot longer.
Not that I'll be doing any of this stuff any longer, those days are long gone as I can barely get down to change the oil any more.
Just curious though.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Haven’t ever had to do what you’re doing OP. At a glance... looks like the procedure is maybe 1/3 way in this section. Good luck.

https://www.civicx.com/servicemanual/SM_30.pdf
Since he states he's replacing the entire axle, either he's stuck removing the axle splines from the hub or he's stuck removing the axle splines from the intermediate shaft.

This is the page about removing the axle from the intermediate shaft.

Honda Civic 10th gen Help!!! Can’t remove driveshaft! Screenshot_20200328-143137

delsoldon

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic EX-T sedan / '18 Civic EX hatch / '12 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
Slightly off topic but this thread is one of the few mentioning the intermediate shaft.

I was inspecting a 2020 Si today trying to trace a clunk when I noticed the inner left side CV joint (between intermediate shaft bearing and halfshaft, labeled A in the pic above) would slide left and right probably about 4-5mm. Is this normal? If I grab the halfshaft between the 2 CV joints (labeled B in the pic above) it doesn't move any more than others I've experienced.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Slightly off topic but this thread is one of the few mentioning the intermediate shaft.

I was inspecting a 2020 Si today trying to trace a clunk when I noticed the inner left side CV joint (between intermediate shaft bearing and halfshaft, labeled A in the pic above) would slide left and right probably about 4-5mm. Is this normal? If I grab the halfshaft between the 2 CV joints (labeled B in the pic above) it doesn't move any more than others I've experienced.
I am not a mechanic, but in my experience removing both axles to remove the transmission on my Si, the CV joints have a lot of on-axis play. Seems to be by design. Probably to allow for some movement in/out with chassis flexion/cornering force.
Sponsored