rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
Okay... I know that I am been out of the manual tranny business for around 5-years! But it has been 2-weeks now with the Civic Si, and I can't seem to correctly get a smooth heel-toe brake-n-downshift going... Rev matching for all gears are fine except for 3-2 as will be explained below.

Is it because I need to brake deeper? Is it the pedal layout and/or foot well? Is it the rev hang which I have been hearing about (no "rev hang" in Japan, apparently).

And yes, shifts 1-2 and 3-2 are excruciating. For the former, no matter what I do I can't seem to get it smooth. Well, there is a way by waiting a tad longer before finishing the shift; but coming off from a light, or a stop in stop-n-go Los Angeles traffic - it gets frustrating SLOW out of the line. For the latter, the only way I can rev-match smoothly is with a double-clutch.

BTW, my last manual was a right-hand driven 2010 STi Spec C (JDM) when I was still living in Tokyo until 2013. I was heel-toeing that car in both the street and the track. No issues!!! ... which makes it more frustrating that I can't do it with the Si.

Any thoughts? Tips?

Thanks!!!
Sponsored

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Personally, while I can shift this car as smooth as any other I’ve had, I have terribly hard time with trying to heal-toe down shift coming into a curve. For me, the damn gas pedal is too far to the right and too far below the damn brake pedal. Mainly, I think the pedals are just too far apart. Acuity makes an adapter that solves the problem I believe but I’ve just lived w it.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
the shitty fucking brake pedal protrudes too far forward. even with the acuity pedal spacer it doesnt feely nearly as easy or natural as like the gti or integra's pedal placement. very very easy to heel toe in those cars.

the issue isnt the gas pedal being too far back but the brake being too far forward.

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
There was a guy who made a video of him adjusting the brake pedal so that it would be closer to the gas pedal. It worked for him. I ended up purchasing the Acuity pedal spacer and don’t even own an Si yet for a few more months lol. I got mine for like half off during a Black Friday sale.

inertiadrifto86

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan(traded), 2011 Acura MDX Adv, 2019 Acura TLX A-Spec(traded), 2018 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Acuity Throttle Pedal spacer was a life saver for me.

OP
OP

rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
Okay. Thank you guys! I just placed an order for the pedal spacer, am expecting it to arrive before next weekend. I will update once I get it setup and do a few runs.

Cheers,

DallasCRX

First Name
Dallas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 Honda GL1100 GoldWing Interstate, 1986 Honda CRX Si, 2009 Honda CRF250X, 2009 Aprilia Shiver, 2010 Nissan Frontier, 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I've had similar struggles. Also planning to order the Acuity in the Spring.

Kwocfam

First Name
Okie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I also own the Acuity throttle spacer on slot C, but I feel like its still too far apart. I wonder if there are other alternatives aside from this and a gas pedal plate.

yunggunz846

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
B position is similar to 92-200 Honda Civic's and Integras. I tried C but I like position B the best.

Also, removing the CDV was a godsend if you are used to 92-2000 civic and integras transmissions.

OP
OP

rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
B position is similar to 92-200 Honda Civic's and Integras. I tried C but I like position B the best.
I know there is a description on the Acuity website on the difference between B and C, but what particularly do you like about B as contrasted with C?

Thanks,

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
the issue isnt the gas pedal being too far back but the brake being too far forward.
I agree. The gas pedal is where I want it, the brake pedal is the one that needs to be moved but I guess being drive by wire, it's a lot easier to move the gas pedal.

yyalb

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 gen Civic Si
Country flag
Check this video, you may not need the spacer.

I've practiced several month, and now I can do heel-n-toe pretty smoothly with the SI with the technique mentioned in the video.
Some tips:
The throttle response is quite bad, so you may need more gas for rev-matching.
Different shoes will affact the action greatly. Though you can adapt to any shoes with some time, I recommend just stick with one pair when you start practicing.

OP
OP

rodralig

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan 2019
Country flag
Check this video, you may not need the spacer.

I've practiced several month, and now I can do heel-n-toe pretty smoothly with the SI with the technique mentioned in the video.
Some tips:
The throttle response is quite bad, so you may need more gas for rev-matching.
Different shoes will affact the action greatly. Though you can adapt to any shoes with some time, I recommend just stick with one pair when you start practicing.
I would really like to see the video he said he watched that gave him the inspiration to do it this way... As I have been taught, the emphasis of the heel-n-toe downshift is NOT the downshift, but the braking, ie., if the rev-match is not going to work out, do not compromise with the braking. Correct braking is if the heel is in line with the brake pedal (more control, consistency, etc.) - at least that what I was taught.

Though, would have to agree with you that the throttle response is funky!!! *ugh* Yeah, definitely need more gas, particularly the downshifts from 4...

Here is an ol' (circa 2013) snippet of mine with the AE86 back in Tokyo:

Sponsored