Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Having a ZL1 1LE and a NSX Type R sitting next to my ctr.... IF the NSX Type R comes out. I'd have to win the lottery though.

TheSnotRocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 CTS-V, 2016 ATS-V, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Not sure up turn 1

Honda Civic 10th gen Heaven is: LMS_0665-me

Or over and down 9/10

Honda Civic 10th gen Heaven is: ZMB_4001-me

Honda Civic 10th gen Heaven is: 2016-12-18_EA_COTA_16310-me

Haven't done (and likely won't) do any CoTA days in my Type-R... after driving the CTS-V and the ATS-V at the track... the Type-R is just.... slow. I instruct a lot, and give a lot of VIP rides around CoTA... not many people would choose the CTR over the 1000hp CTS-V or the modded ATS-V.

To be super fair... that's not what I bought my CTR for...

Z06_Pilot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR #15484 | Corvette Z06's | Toyota Tundra #2, | Mini Cooper Countryman Works edition | Can-Am Spyder | Ducati X-Diavel
Country flag
My current definition of Heaven On Earth is swooping down into the Cork Screw at Laguna Seca in a Honda Civic Type R.
What's yours?
GBMD6494.JPG
You lucky dog! That is on my list to get out there for a track day in Monterrey some day......what an American icon that track is.....

TheSnotRocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How is the reliability? I'd be worried my car would break down at any given time.
I built the car to be focused on road racing. Generally speaking, it's been rock solid with only a few issues here and there. Diff cooler was an absolute must and so was the meth (for cooling). It has a serious amount of cooling up front to help with the heat generated from the blower and the engine itself. The car has an extremely conservative tune in it as well so that it's not running on the edge. It's for sure a wild ride.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
I built the car to be focused on road racing. Generally speaking, it's been rock solid with only a few issues here and there. Diff cooler was an absolute must and so was the meth (for cooling). It has a serious amount of cooling up front to help with the heat generated from the blower and the engine itself. The car has an extremely conservative tune in it as well so that it's not running on the edge. It's for sure a wild ride.
Do you find it difficult to use all that extra power? I'll be trading in my Si w/KTuner for an R in the Spring, and I'm debating whether it's worth it to unlock the R ECU. +30% more power doesn't seem so appealing if I can't ever use more than 60% of the throttle.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine is out-running V8's in my little 18 year old 4-Cylinder at Willow Springs.

Honda Civic 10th gen Heaven is: S1mAmsbh

Bonus: Challenger was following me and didn't realize my braking lines were not the same as his. He spun out in turn 3.

Honda Civic 10th gen Heaven is: hjJmXrsh

TheSnotRocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Do you find it difficult to use all that extra power? I'll be trading in my Si w/KTuner for an R in the Spring, and I'm debating whether it's worth it to unlock the R ECU. +30% more power doesn't seem so appealing if I can't ever use more than 60% of the throttle.
It's all about your level of expertise and how much you can get out of the car. At the end of the day, you learn what you have and learn what to expect out of a certain situation. Lets say you know how to handle a 100hp car. You learn how the car pushes in a corner and when you can get on the gas coming out of a corner. Well, a 200HP car, 500HP car, etc are all not much different.. it's just when you can do things, like getting on the gas out of the corner and how hard and quickly you can push the gas. If you, for example, are having wheel spin issues coming out of a corner in 1st and 2nd, just train yourself to not push the gas further than the car or tires will allow. You'll get into 3rd and realize that you can push the gas even more, or all the way and you'll possibly have more speed into the next brake zone. Better tires also help (to a point - there is no substitute for proper seat time and proper car control, even on crap tires or slick tracks) ;).

I instruct and drive a LOT of different cars.. the CTS-V and ATS-V are what I'm most comfortable with because I drive them them most. The CTS-V has well over 2000 laps at CoTA and the ATS-V has probably a few hundred at this point. You learn how the car feels at the limit and you learn how to control the car at the limit - it becomes second nature. You have to learn how to be smooth and not throw the car around... how to roll into the throttle... how to transition from brakes to gas, etc.

Seat time teaches you all of these things as well as a good instructor who knows how your kind of car works.

My example is that I do very well instructing in high HP RWD cars.. whatever it is.. a boat like the chargers/challengers, all the way to to Corvettes, Vipers and Ferrari's. I do not do well at all in cars like Miata's or other momentum based cars - because that's not what I know or do very often.

Bonus: Challenger was following me and didn't realize my braking lines were not the same as his. He spun out in turn 3.
Just means he was a n00b driver with red mist and should probably have and instructor in the car with him.
Sponsored

Last edited: