MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
Just about to start summer in Austin ,Texas and I fully expect temperatures to get nasty HOT. :flame:

I am running the TwoStep TSP Stage 1 on Map 2.

To reduce the problem of heat soak I was going to do the following:

1. Replace my front grille with the ProCivic Grille
-will increase air flow and reduce temperatures

2. Install a PRL Cobra CAI
-won't this defeat the ProCivic Grille replacement since the filter location is now moved toward fender well area?
-thought about the 27won CAI as other option but....

3. Install a bigger inter-cooler (unlikely this year due to cost, but eventually)

Or should I start with an experiment with cutting holes in the Driver side front fake vent to allow more ventilation?
-would have to modify the stock air box as well to increase efficiency
-but again if I get the PRL Cobra CAI...

Was there something I didn't think of.. of course so let enlighten me please...:bow:
Sponsored

Last edited:

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
You will get the most out of an intercooler over any of the other options. The CAI is great, but once that stock intercooler heatsoaks it has a hard time cooling off so the ambient air you are sucking in gets pretty warm relatively quick.

OP
OP
MONK13

MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
You will get the most out of an intercooler over any of the other options. The CAI is great, but once that stock intercooler heatsoaks it has a hard time cooling off so the ambient air you are sucking in gets pretty warm relatively quick.
Didnt think of that, any recommendations on intercoolers? I havent done my due diligence as I was focused only on intake and air flow.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Didnt think of that, any recommendations on intercoolers? I havent done my due diligence as I was focused only on intake and air flow.
Mishimoto Performance Intercooler. It's about $580 on Mishimoto's website, as luck would have it, my mechanic called me today because the shop next door was about to install one on a '17 Si, but it got totalled so they are selling it to me for $300, plus he will install it for $50. According to Mishimoto, on stock it lowers the intake air 20 degrees and 47 degrees if tuned

OP
OP
MONK13

MONK13

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CIVIC Si
Country flag
Mishimoto Performance Intercooler. It's about $580 on Mishimoto's website, as luck would have it, my mechanic called me today because the shop next door was about to install one on a '17 Si, but it got totalled so they are selling it to me for $300, plus he will install it for $50. According to Mishimoto, on stock it lowers the intake air 20 degrees and 47 degrees if tuned
I just looked into Midhimoyo intercoolers and the one for the Si was on sale for $995 down from $1100. Not sure if yours is the same, but if it works its a great desl.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I just looked into Midhimoyo intercoolers and the one for the Si was on sale for $995 down from $1100. Not sure if yours is the same, but if it works its a great desl.
That is with the Mishimoto pipes, without the pipes it's $580 or so. You don't need their pipes it works with stock pipes with the included adapters

Last edited:

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag
Grille and turbo blanket should be your first steps, not just because of a budget but because they work really well.

Wrapping your downpipe in header wrap and the intake pipes in reflective wrap are also a cost effective option.

While an intercooler is effective up to a point, it doesn't take care of the real problem which is a scorching engine bay where the heat just sits and increases. It also doesn't have nearly the same bang for the buck as the first two options.

You also might want to consider Water Wetter and even a high pressure radiator cap.

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am here in Houston. I got a intercooler because of the Texas heat this summer. It seem to work well, but in city driving it only does a little better than the stock intercooler. That was a big surprise to me! I was expecting a big improvement. An intercooler needs air to blow across it to work. Stop and go in the city doesn't blow much air across it so it has minimal effect. When I get on the highway it works great!
Sponsored