Headunit acted up after putting the car in accessory mode (or what I thought was accessory mode)

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
So I was killing time before catching a movie, and I wanted to turn the car off and listen to music, so I turned the car off and hit the power button without pressing the brake pedal. The headunit came on, so I thought the car was in accessory mode.

Then, later the clock on the headunit wouldn't update and when I went to turn my car off, the headunit would not turn off. Has anyone else had anything similar to this happen?
Sponsored

silverblip

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota TRD Off-Road MT
Country flag
If you hit the start button once without the brake , you will need to hit it two more times to shut the car off.

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you hit the start button once without the brake , you will need to hit it two more times to shut the car off.
The car didn't come on though, only the head unit. Then I started the car and went to the movies, and the car shut off fine. It was when I went back home that the head unit wouldn't shut off

madmax1698

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
The head unit can freeze from time to time, it's essentially an Android tablet. Reboot it by holding the power button (audio button) until you get a message to rebot it. It should work fine after that.
I've found that the best method to have the car in accessory mode after driving it is to put the car in neutral while the engine is on, turn the engine off while in neutral. The car will tell you to put in in park. At this point the radio will be on, but not the engine. Saves you the hassle of pressing multiple times the ignition button constantly.

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The head unit can freeze from time to time, it's essentially an Android tablet. Reboot it by holding the power button (audio button) until you get a message to rebot it. It should work fine after that.
I've found that the best method to have the car in accessory mode after driving it is to put the car in neutral while the engine is on, turn the engine off while in neutral. The car will tell you to put in in park. At this point the radio will be on, but not the engine. Saves you the hassle of pressing multiple times the ignition button constantly.
I just turned the car on and off multiple times until the head unit turned off haha. I'll reboot it next time!

silverblip

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota TRD Off-Road MT
Country flag
One button push with no brake, HU comes on,windows don't work. 2nd button push HU on, windows work. 3rd button push cuts car off, HU off windoes off. At least thats how mine works.

kdub117

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T coupe, 2000 Honda Odyssey
Country flag
the 2nd day I had my Civic I had the H.U. freeze on Apple Carplay, entirely unresponsive including the radio and all functions. I'm sure it was related to what Madmax1698 said above and I think I had to shut off the car and unplug things to get it working again.

OP
OP

daniellee789

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
the 2nd day I had my Civic I had the H.U. freeze on Apple Carplay, entirely unresponsive including the radio and all functions. I'm sure it was related to what Madmax1698 said above and I think I had to shut off the car and unplug things to get it working again.
I guess. The unit was working fine though, it just wouldn't turn off when I turned the car off haha
Sponsored