n9yty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
So, looking to bring this "up to the level" of my 2002 Civic... {smile} I had put in a Pioneer 4200NEX in there with headrest monitors for the kids in the back and a passenger side one for either my wife or the child riding up there.

As I can't seemingly hack the 2018 Civic Hatchback headunit to play video while driving, and it doesn't have video out anyway, I need to take a different route. Overall I like the headunit and don't want to take it out to put the 4200NEX back in, so having to look at alternateive approaches.

I picked up a set of black headrest monitors, haven't tried to put them in but it should be very simple to drop the cable down the seat back as I did in the 2002.

I picked up a gooseneck mount to go under the passenger seat front rail bolt, and will put a small monitor up there angled for the passenger's viewing.

For media content/viewing, there are lots of options, either something like a Micca Speck G2, or a bit more capable system like an Android Box, or even an android tablet mounted for the passenger to operate, but few of those seem to have video outputs to feed the back monitors.taking the video output to composite and splitting it across the three monitors... The monitors have pass-through so the output could be daisy-chained. Thinking I can just put this box in the cell phone bay in front of the shifter, either wire voltage from a fuse tap or just use the DC power/cigarette lighter plug.

A few interesting thoughts on media... The Speck and Android Box I'm looking at [and tablet if I looked at that route] support SD cards, could load that up with content. The Speck and Android Box [looking at Goobang Doo XB-III right now] also support a hard drive plugged in. I also have a WD Passport Wireless Pro that I could connect to over WiFi in-car for the Android Box or tablet to pull content. Lots of options. The Android box/tablet is also more interesting as the built-in bluetooth could feed audio through the car system, the Micca Speck G2 would need an external bluetooth transmitter.

Anyone done anything like this already that would like to share their experience? :) It's the only thing we miss about the 2002 Civic. LoL
Sponsored