headlights come on when hitting unlock on key fob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic LX
Country flag
I have a 2017 civic hatchback lx...I was parked in the parking garage at work and when I hit unlock on the key fob the doors unlocked but the headlights came on and the parking lights came on as well for 20 seconds... it only did this once and when I tried to do it again only the doors unlocked....is this a normal thing for the headlights and parking lights to come on when you hit unlock on the key fob?
Sponsored

Legato

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I’ve been trying to figure this out as well as it’s happened for me by accident a few times. I leave for work around 5 in the morning and the headlights don’t turn on normally after unlocking, so I know it’s not due to my headlights being set to AUTO.

I’m guessing it’s another one of those key fob tricks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic LX
Country flag
Ya exactly it happened once and I could not repeat it happening again

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
For my MB, when I unlock remotely, if the headlight is set to Auto, and if it is dark outside, the headlights will come on for so many seconds.

I like this feature.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
I have a 2017 civic hatchback lx...I was parked in the parking garage at work and when I hit unlock on the key fob the doors unlocked but the headlights came on and the parking lights came on as well for 20 seconds... it only did this once and when I tried to do it again only the doors unlocked....is this a normal thing for the headlights and parking lights to come on when you hit unlock on the key fob?
This is normal. Mine doesn't do it and I want it to. Reason is it is dark in my garage when I close it and the light switch is in the far corner of the garage so I'm in the dark. It forces me to turn on the light before I shut the garage and I would prefer the head lights come on just like it does for you!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic LX
Country flag
I'm not sure if having your lights on auto and being in the dark is the reason that did it because it did it once and then 2 hours later in the same location in the same garage and the same lighting conditions it did not do it again..
Also if my car is in the garage at my home and is completely dark I hit unlock in the lights in the rear parking lights did not come on... it only happens on the rare occasion?

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Something is wrong if the experience is not consistent.

It makes sense that it would trigger the headlights in low light environment to help you locate and get in the car.

dalaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan EX-T 6-Speed Manual
Country flag
I was wondering the same thing too. I thought the headlights did come one once or twice for me. My 2013 Accord lights up when I hit unlock and I don't know why the Civic doesn't do that.

PolishedLX

Banned
Where were fighter jets to stop vegas shooting?
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
"50/50 kid" but on the "right side" of coin flip!
Vehicle(s)
The car that made all others obsolete, "doh, self-explanatory"
Country flag
I was wondering the same thing too. I thought the headlights did come one once or twice for me. My 2013 Accord lights up when I hit unlock and I don't know why the Civic doesn't do that.
Whoever made this house, they failed to put 2 wall light switches and I need this "feature" to work so I do not have to keep walking over and turning the wall switch on when I have a car that should realize that I am still in need of light until I can get to the wall and thus need the headlights to illuminate! TY OP for making this conversation cause now I realize my LX isn't doing what it was designed to.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Simply ask to get this fixed next time to go in for service. But you probably have to tell them how this should work!

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm guessing it's based on whether it's dark and you have it on auto as they won't turn on during daylight with the switch on auto.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic LX
Country flag
Yes I will bring it in next and first oil change...

Can anyone confirm that it does indeed work when hitting unlock if so what model of civic do you have hatch, sedan etc

Last edited:

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
my sport hatch behaves just like how you described it too. with auto headlights, it doesn't seem to turn on the headlights upon unlock 100% of the time. I'm wondering if there is a timer to make it stop working? i think the headlights are sure to come on after driving your car and then locking it and unlocking it again.

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have HIDs at the moment and i avoid auto headlights because of this reason.

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Yes I will bring it in next and first oil change...

Can anyone confirm that it does indeed work when hitting unlock if so what model of civic do you have hatch, sedan etc
No it doesn't work. If you want the headlights to come on, you have to remote start the car. Then unlock it, headlights will go on if its dark out but has to be remote started.
Sponsored