tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So while I was getting my shifter replaced and an oil change the dealership did their normal inspections. Long story short, my rears are at 4mm and should probably be replaced soon. My fronts don't need replacing (6mm) but I kind of want to swap them as well to avoid the squealing pig brakes that come stock. I was looking at the Hawk HPS 5.0 and HP Plus Sport pads that are available for the Type R. From the braking perspective, it looks like the HP Plus gets better braking performance across the board compared to the 5.0.

I'm mainly concerned about noise, the dust from the stock pads really doesn't bother me too much. Do the HP+ pads make noise like the stock pads do (rolling to a stop at low speeds)? I feel like they probably do, but want a confirmation on this (I haven't read anything saying they do or don't on the civicx forums). Basically if the HP+ don't make much noise, it might be wiser to just go that route vs the HPS 5.0. However, if they do make noise, then the 5.0 it is.

Usage and other info: I kind of like how the stock pads on the Type R bite in gradually (vs all at once) and isn't an on-off switch and don't have plans to track my car. I may autocross down the line, but more likely not than will. Spirited runs are definitely done regularly.

Second question regarding rotors, do y'all normally change your rotors with the pads? I know resurfacing is an option and something that can definitely be done on the rear rotors, but the front rotors probably not since they are drilled (I've read that Brembo recommends against it).

I'm open to any other recommendations regarding brake pads.
Sponsored

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
So while I was getting my shifter replaced and an oil change the dealership did their normal inspections. Long story short, my rears are at 4mm and should probably be replaced soon. My fronts don't need replacing (6mm) but I kind of want to swap them as well to avoid the squealing pig brakes that come stock. I was looking at the Hawk HPS 5.0 and HP Plus Sport pads that are available for the Type R. From the braking perspective, it looks like the HP Plus gets better braking performance across the board compared to the 5.0.

I'm mainly concerned about noise, the dust from the stock pads really doesn't bother me too much. Do the HP+ pads make noise like the stock pads do (rolling to a stop at low speeds)? I feel like they probably do, but want a confirmation on this (I haven't read anything saying they do or don't on the civicx forums). Basically if the HP+ don't make much noise, it might be wiser to just go that route vs the HPS 5.0. However, if they do make noise, then the 5.0 it is.

Usage and other info: I kind of like how the stock pads on the Type R bite in gradually (vs all at once) and isn't an on-off switch and don't have plans to track my car. I may autocross down the line, but more likely not than will. Spirited runs are definitely done regularly.

Second question regarding rotors, do y'all normally change your rotors with the pads? I know resurfacing is an option and something that can definitely be done on the rear rotors, but the front rotors probably not since they are drilled (I've read that Brembo recommends against it).

I'm open to any other recommendations regarding brake pads.
I run the 5.0s on the daily. No noise. It has to be very cold for that to happen. In fact I was comfortable putting them on the wife’s car.

Now it’s possible the R is light enough that it won’t get enough heat for a while. Dunno.

OP
OP
tinyman392

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I run the 5.0s on the daily. No noise. It has to be very cold for that to happen. In fact I was comfortable putting them on the wife’s car.

Now it’s possible the R is light enough that it won’t get enough heat for a while. Dunno.
Awesome. Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards the 5.0.