Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this!

rlkassan

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic sport touring hatchback
Country flag
Ive been trying to find info on boost by gear but having difficulty. Is it a program you download, something you buy? I purchased a ktuner and read somewhere boost by gear will help to not murder the stock tires.
Sponsored

EastBayCivic

First Name
DerekZoolander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Ive been trying to find info on boost by gear but having difficulty. Is it a program you download, something you buy? I purchased a ktuner and read somewhere boost by gear will help to not murder the stock tires.
It's in one of the sub menus that you can get into on the left side when you're configuring a tune. I don't have it open right now but I remember it isn't very hard to find. Maybe it's in or next to either of the quick adjustments or quick enable sub menus?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Boost by gear is extremely easy to add. Honestly, unless you floor it from a standing start often, it's not something you have to do.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Btw, I'm often asked how a tune cuts into mpg's. Well during the cold winter months, I couldn't take a picture to show how mileage stays basically the same (with similar throttle input). Cold weather kills mpg. This morning though, it was a balmy 59 degrees for my 10 mile 60/40 highway/city commute. As you can see, 41.7 mpg is pretty good. :thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this! rps20190315_114124

905Civic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing, 2020 Kia Telluride SX
Country flag
Well, I got my KTuner delivery and set everything up. I would say everything went just as I expected. Very easy to follow the instructions online and then after I flashed with the 21 tune, my dashboard lit up like a christmas tree like everyone said it would... especially with all the sensing assistance stuff on my Canadian model. After running some errands and making a few stops, all the lights disappeared :)

The one thing that happened that I wasn't really expecting was... holy crap this is a totally different car! I found my way to a back industrial road and wanted to see what this thing could do... my car was skipping across the pavement when I hit the gas. Safe to say my winter tires can't handle it!

Oh man... I'm excited to drive to work on Monday now!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Remember you can use boost by gear in the lowest "gears" to account for your tires lack of grip.

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
holy crap this is a totally different car!
Word...welcome to the 1.5T adrenaline club.....….easy does it to get used to earlier torque response.....give yourself some room around others too, where it's fun is at a stop light:flame:.... radio off and listen to that little 4 banger come to life....I look forward to driving this thing everyday still after a full year on 21+ everything full on.:) oh, I got a high speeding ticket to prove it....:lol:

Hnichill81

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Word...welcome to the 1.5T adrenaline club.....….easy does it to get used to earlier torque response.....give yourself some room around others too, where it's fun is at a stop light:flame:.... radio off and listen to that little 4 banger come to life....I look forward to driving this thing everyday still after a full year on 21+ everything full on.:) oh, I got a high speeding ticket to prove it....:lol:
I got a high speed ticket before I even got my Ktuner, which should arrive early next week. 21+ for a year, on a CVT? And everything is still all good on your car?

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
Yes, all's good and she's well broken in with 50k+ miles. I've got selectable 3 tune going on now. Been playing the tweak game with lower mid range on up with the Starter 21 for a top tune here and there. I listen for changes and I notice things with each adjustment and I monitor with Tunerview.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I got a high speed ticket before I even got my Ktuner, which should arrive early next week. 21+ for a year, on a CVT? And everything is still all good on your car?
gtman is running the Factory/21psi tune I believe and has all of the Quick Enables at their highest, except for RAMP (which I believe he keeps at Improved II).
At those settings the boost doesn't climb as quickly and he can remain in pretty much in negative pressure values during his drive - thus, the fuel economy.

To respond to the 21psi safe for CVT question:
The 21psi is what the compressor is doing to reach the target. You will see about 17.5-18psi from the MAP at peak. The CVT will transition into the appropriate gear based on load. Besides, the base tunes are well below the CVTs capability.
BUT - if you throttle hard from dead stops frequently, anyone can damage ANY transmission sooner with or without a tune.

Hnichill81

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
gtman is running the Factory/21psi tune I believe and has all of the Quick Enables at their highest, except for RAMP (which I believe he keeps at Improved II).
At those settings the boost doesn't climb as quickly and he can remain in pretty much in negative pressure values during his drive - thus, the fuel economy.

To respond to the 21psi safe for CVT question:
The 21psi is what the compressor is doing to reach the target. You will see about 17.5-18psi from the MAP at peak. The CVT will transition into the appropriate gear based on load. Besides, the base tunes are well below the CVTs capability.
BUT - if you throttle hard from dead stops frequently, anyone can damage ANY transmission sooner with or without a tune.
Thanks for replying to me. I am new to tuning. I read gtman's journey from Hondata to Ktuner and that's what made me decide to try Ktuner. I love my car, but didn't intend to buy this one, but the dealer couldn't get me into the 2017 V6 Accord coupe I went there for. He put me in my Civic Hatchback Sport Touring. The car is great, but I knew it was way more capable than the stock settings. This forum is great and the stuff I learn on here is priceless. Thanks.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for replying to me. I am new to tuning. I read gtman's journey from Hondata to Ktuner and that's what made me decide to try Ktuner. I love my car, but didn't intend to buy this one, but the dealer couldn't get me into the 2017 V6 Accord coupe I went there for. He put me in my Civic Hatchback Sport Touring. The car is great, but I knew it was way more capable than the stock settings. This forum is great and the stuff I learn on here is priceless. Thanks.
I told JR from Ktuner I should probably be on commission because a bunch of members have said my posts turned them on to buying Ktuner.:) Before that, I enjoyed my Hondata tuned car, too. It's just that Ktuner offers more. It takes a really nice daily driver and adds a bit of muscle. It makes passing and merging effortless. It reduces lag. Although it seems expensive, the power to $$ ratio is lower than any other mod out there. Plus there are so many adjustments available it's much more then a single new tune. You can tweak here and there and change the driveability a bit with a few keystrokes.

ljseppe

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic EX-T
Country flag
One thing I’m trying to understand is if the tunes are safe why does everyone monitor there cars sensors so closely after the tune?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I’m trying to understand is if the tunes are safe why does everyone monitor there cars sensors so closely after the tune?
Some people monitor all the time, some don't. I only monitor mine right after I upload a new configuration to look for any "weirdness". My Ktuner doesn't stay in the car. It's not a must do. People mainly monitor knock control which can mean various things (bad gas for example), IAT's and fuel trims. Monitoring is in no way a reflection of the base tunes being unsafe. Fact is, some people enjoy monitoring parameters in untuned cars too.

On the other hand, you can certainly add a base tune as a "set and forget" thing if you like.

Last edited:

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
BTW I am a newbie too.....the only thing I've done is use Ktuner with stock equipment and learn tweaking, a little. For daily it's plenty and proven on mine a year.:beer: Cheers! When we see folks post about modifying externals for more performance without considering the stock internals is when we see posts like "I blew this or that". For me anyway if more is what you want consider track ready 2.0T CTR.;)

Monitoring is a "see the feedback=fun with a little wow factor thing" for me. Interesting to see engine feedback vs outside temps for instance. I'd like to know knock control (what is it actually doing), ignition numbers (what they're saying). Outside temps went up a little Friday and of course intake temps were up, knock control varied .49 to .58 then as things cooled down the knock control returned to .49. Why, what's normal what's not?

I've been running 93, what would happen if I one day switch to a tank full of 87?
I am all ears...……. :coffee:
Sponsored