1.5T Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this!

1. vctsonicgrey

vctsonicgrey Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Hatchback
    Here's the WOT table.....can you explain closed/ open loop WOT enrichment? I'll run a datalog next time I'm out and about Thanks;)
    upload_2019-3-9_18-12-32.png

2. Hnichill81

Hnichill81 Member

Chef
    First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring

3. Hnichill81

Hnichill81 Member

Chef
    First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    I'm glad I found this thread. I just got done reading about your Hondata trial and was ready to go all in. The turbo lag and CVT lag being able to be reduced had me very interested. I just started reading this thread and I'm sure a lot of my questions will be answered. Thanks.

4. OP
    OP
    gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    Hnichill81 thanked this.
  5. vctsonicgrey

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Hatchback
    Feel free to ask whatever you like along the way. I've been running Ktuner Stg 2 21+psi tune since March of last year. The car is wonderfully responsive with no turbo lag and plenty of reserve.

Hnichill81 and KTuner thanked this.
  6. rlkassan

rlkassan Member

First Name:
    rob
    Car(s):
    2017 honda civic sport touring hatchback
    Hey everybody,

First time posting... never really been a car guy to be honest, so most things aftermarket are still foreign concepts to me.

i have a 2017 sport touring cvt with less than 10k miles on it. I've been considering getting a k-tuner, but i had a few questions.

1) . i am really looking for the "safest" option given my warranty (i understand there will always be risk). I am not a pedal to the metal type but i feel like my car struggles getting up to speed when getting on the highway. This, passing, and just getting around the city a with a bit more power is my end goal. will a basic (stage zero?) tune address what i am looking to get out of it? is it any "safer" going with a lower setting tune, or does it all really just depend on how i drive the car?

2) does a tune render "sport" mode obsolete? what really is the difference i will see with a tune vs. stock sport mode?

3) i do all maintenance through the dealership. i think i read somewhere that honda can not tell if you've tuned the car, as long as you set back to stock before bringing in for service. is this accurate?

4) regarding the k-tuner itself, i have honda hack and can install the app. is there still benefit for spending extra to get the v2?

Thanks in advance for your help!

7. Hollywoo0220

Hollywoo0220 Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)

First Name:
    RJ
    Car(s):
    Tank, Lunar Module, and 1990 Diahatsu Charade
    @rlkassan
    You can use the “Search” on the forum to find answers to your questions. There is a ton of differentiating opinions, preferrances and recommendations. Reading will provide you with a broader knowledge base with regard to your questions.

rlkassan thanked this.
  8. OP
    OP
    gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    rlkassan...

Just some basics here. Simply adding a tune will transform your driveability. Even if you put it at something as low as 15psi but tweak the throttle settings a bit (a simple dropdown menu) and speed up spool and tweak turbo response, you'll hardly have any turbo lag. It makes passing and accident avoidance maneuvers much easier. You won't believe it's the same car. It's that good.

If you have a laptop and want to save money, get the V1.2. It can do the same things as it's big brother.

Comparing a tuned Civic to pressing the Sport mode on the stock tune is night and day. That's only a transmission program to put you at higher rpm. No comparison to a full, real ECU tune.

Drive your car normally, don't abuse it and a base KTuner tune will treat you well. And yes, revert to stock when taking it to a dealer.

Hope that helps. I've run tunes for a year and absolutely love it.

9. rlkassan

rlkassan Member

First Name:
    rob
    Car(s):
    2017 honda civic sport touring hatchback
    Thanks, i started trying to search for various keywords and i see that it hits back relatively easy for things i have questions about!

Hollywoo0220 thanked this.
  10. 905Civic

905Civic Member

First Name:
    Ryan
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Sensing
    My KTuner V2 got delivered today, but they didn't leave it at the door so I will have to pick it up tomorrow. Can't wait!

PS. Thanks gtman for all the info in this thread

Hnichill81, KTuner and gtman thanked this.
  11. Hnichill81

Hnichill81 Member

Chef
    First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    Mine is on it's way. So after you flash your car, does the tuner have to stay in it everytime you drive. Well in and hooked up I guess I am asking?

12. OP
    OP
    gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    #102 gtman, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    ^ Absolutely not. Some people do, but for me, it's not necessary. The only time I generally leave it plugged in is when I'm switching tunes, to check some key parameters. I also plug it in for the occasional datalog.

Hnichill81 thanked this.
  13. jhking84

jhking84 New Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Touring
    Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum and this has all been very informative. I've got a 2018 Civic Touring and just ordered a ktuner 1.2 this afternoon. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how easy it is to use. I've seen a lot on the internet but would like more input. I've seen alot about the dual tune and being able to put it in eco mode for factory settings and then take it off for the boost. Just wondering how hard this is to do once I receive my ktuner. Thanks.

14. OP
    OP
    gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    #104 gtman, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    This will help you with your V1.2:

http://www.ktuner.com/KTunerHelp/index.htm

Is it easy to flash a tune? It really is. If you can follow directions, you can do it. You lock the unit to your car, register, chose a tune, upload it to your ECU and... new, improved power! If you get stuck, KTuner customer service is very good and people on this forum are happy to help.

InitialB and jhking84 thanked this.
  15. vctsonicgrey

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Hatchback
    Flashing a tune into your car from the new tune list is like uploading music to your phone via usb. Connect your PC to the v1.2 and be patient while listening to your car and wait for the on screen prompts, about 6 minutes and you'll be all set ...….I leave the v1.2 plugged in real-time to see Tunerview via Bluetooth while I'm also using Android Auto on an S9. It all works, it's nice to see real time in/ out temps, AFR, knock control, and boost as you go.

jhking84 thanked this.