1.5T Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this!

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
I played around with bumping boost to 23psi from 3500 to 5500 rpm for a while. It certainly had more power but I dialed it back for reliability concerns. I'm overall happy with my 3 different on the fly tunes. I just need to tweak some ramp and throttle settings a bit.
Yeah we discussed boosting to get more mid and top end a few posts back. The only folks that I have heard with something blow are the ones messing with ignition timing and even higher boost than 23.
Didn't try 23 psi that low on rpm's. I got the 3 tune setting too for a while seem to use run the highest all the time, too much fun to dial it back. 3rd tune starting at 2250 on up I've got the 21 base boosts set +2 psi higher 14, 16, 18, 20 to 22.8 at the top. Recently dialed back top end from 23.5. Highes on all quick settings ramp is set to off aggressive, I have very smooth increase in power. Cruising 95, I'm between 1800-2100 at 65+/-, burst of power is there when needed. It's nice so far so good, it's great actually and running tight and happy.
We have the drop down adjustments to tweak ramp and throttle, is there more looking graphicly to adjust these?
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Is boosting psi that low in the rev range hurting your mpg? I know you did these same tweaks when you had Hondata. Personally, I'm chosing to stay conservative with my Ktuner tune and I'm pleased. Not worth the potential risks IMO but good luck with your custom tune.

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
Is boosting psi that low in the rev range hurting your mpg? I know you did these same tweaks when you had Hondata. Personally, I'm chosing to stay conservative with my Ktuner tune and I'm pleased. Not worth the potential risks IMO but good luck with your custom tune.
Got me confused with some other tuner....never ran hondata.

You mentioned:
I just need to tweak some ramp and throttle settings a bit.
How so other than the drop downs?

MPG's with light foot and 5 or so over the speed limit is running in the low 40's, heavier foot with some excitement get's me 35-38+/-, colder weather effect too. Over the summer was getting 45+.

I certainly hear ya on staying conservative 21 vs. 21+ and risk. Ktuner just saying they have gone above and beyond 21 (and who knows by how much :bow:) to break it, gives me a little room for play somewhat I think. So, on second map down +1 psi starting at 2250 on to 3000, 3500 on +1.8 at 22.8. Ktuner Final Boost Target is 22.5..... so it's just a lil-o-bit over on the safe side of adding boost mid and hi I think.

Compare Ktuner default 21.
Honda Civic 10th gen Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this! upload_2019-3-5_18-22-46

to current set up hi tune
Honda Civic 10th gen Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this! upload_2019-3-5_18-40-14

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just with the dropdowns. I just need to go a little more aggressive. Btw, your mileage is way better than mine. I see about 33 in these cold temps. You must drive long distances?

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
Just with the dropdowns. I just need to go a little more aggressive. Btw, your mileage is way better than mine. I see about 33 in these cold temps. You must drive long distances?
Well, I got them all set on high.
So yeah, a twice a week Mon, Fri Rockville Bel Air commute I'm sure you know the 95 deal, Friday's are the worst average speed 30mph, ODO just turned 50k and running tunes with everything still tight. Something about the CVT and the 1.5 just amazes me still, how eager it is or something, esp. with psi turned up a notch. Can't say there's a whole lotta room to let it roll out for any distance on 95, it's crowded. 200 Intercounty Connector however is the bomb, that's where I have heard the 1.5 liters hone in. And yes, I've already got real lucky with a trooper…. I just had to once and he got me 114 and climbing letting me go with a fine only warning....:eek:...since no violations on record I can only blame my Honda.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
what do you think of this setup
look at -5.2, -4.2 from 2500 rmp on up....basically adding psi when 1.5 sucking in I think
Honda Civic 10th gen Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this! upload_2019-3-6_23-10-6

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's your call on the IC. It's a nice upgrade but not mandatory. If you're keeping your car stock, the base starter tunes with tweaked throttle, ramp and turbo reponsiveness will change your car's driveability.

KTuner is an amazing mod for what you pay. I've been modding cars for 25+ years and it's the best bang for the buck power mod I've ever installed/used.
Lol, I waited till I was 60 to do my 1st real mod. Just got a new set of V rated tires, cant wait to take road trip to Mexico.:D

Last edited:

10GenPearlSi

Old Man
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lol, I waited till I was 60 to do my 1st real mod. Just got a new set of V rated tires, cant wait to take road trip to Mexico.:D
I waited until I was 71 unless you count bending the throttle linkage on a 72 Volvo 242 to allow the throttle to open the dual Stromberg carburetors wider.

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
I waited until I was 71 unless you count bending the throttle linkage on a 72 Volvo 242 to allow the throttle to open the dual Stromberg carburetors wider.
Sounds great guys, you have nice cars......any opinions, thoughts, suggestions on the above posted boost table? I'm all 's for anyone with some experience with psi it's relationship to RPM and atmosphere -/+..... thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
^ Nobody is really playing around with the KTuner base boost tables these days. When I spoke to JR (KTuner), he suggested not adding boost below 3500 with the CVT for safety. He said it's best to add a touch above 3500 to about 5000 and then taper down. I'd listen to him.:)

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
^ Nobody is really playing around with the KTuner base boost tables these days. When I spoke to JR (KTuner), he suggested not adding boost below 3500 with the CVT for safety. He said it's best to add a touch above 3500 to about 5000 and then taper down. I'd listen to him.:)
Thanks gtman, I do appreciate all feedback on this.:headbang: Is this really a thing no one is playing with any more?! I certainly am, ever since I got my 1.5T. I got the feeling something was up with the lack of info everybody here has on this subject since I started posting here.

I know the risks and knowing that I have had an easy on it feather under my foot with these tunes and in no way running it hard or launching or racing it high rpm out on the road or anything crazy......…just the occasional rolling burst to pass.
I ran the above table just to get a sense of what 1 to 2 # boost add on to the mid to hi range power band would be like. WOW, instantly there is so much reserve power :flame:under the pedal with the above settings. 98% of the time, I cruise control with traffic flow rmp's hovering between 1700 and 2200, throttle is 0% and barely press 1/4 throttle or so to pass and it lifts and roars to 90+ just like that. I don't think I can approach 4000 rmp with out needing to get out on a track. If I were to run this full time, I would have to upgrade the CVT and run a cooler. It's been interesting to say the least, yes, I will be backing it off since there is no sense running this for occasional commuting and a thrill here and there. 21 psi is enough for that.

Ahh yes Ktuner advice, we'd like to be fly on the wall at Ktuners testing facility, what exactly is a touch :D more psi above 3500? 0.5 #, 1.0#.....Did JR give offer any more clue than that?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
JR isn't going to give out numbers above the base tunes because someone could turn around and say "you said it would be safe", and then they blow their engine. He did mention that there is no sense adding more boost much above 5000 rpm because the turbo pretty much runs out of breath. You don't want to go too crazy with psi from 3000-4000 rpm because that's around where the torque peaks out.

vctwhitepearl

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda SI Coupe
Country flag
JR isn't going to give out numbers above the base tunes because someone could turn around and say "you said it would be safe", and then they blow their engine. He did mention that there is no sense adding more boost much above 5000 rpm because the turbo pretty much runs out of breath. You don't want to go too crazy with psi from 3000-4000 rpm because that's around where the torque peaks out.
gotcha
so yup we are on our own, maybe a honda 1.5t cvt dyno person would shed a little more on it too:beer:

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It would be interesting to know a little better about the base tunes. I have never tuned a car before, so i would never touch any of the base settings.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It would be interesting to know a little better about the base tunes. I have never tuned a car before, so i would never touch any of the base settings.
What would you like to know?
Sponsored