1.5T Have a turbo and a CVT? Considering a tune? Read this!

1. Hnichill81

Hnichill81 Member

Chef
    First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
    Oh, ok. I couldn't remember if it was 18 or 19. And I have to use Beta tunes because my ECU wasn't supported yet. I don't want to fool with the stuff I don't know about, my car is way to expensive for that. Thanks again.

2. marauderguy

marauderguy Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Touring
    Canada has a couple different 94 octanes.

In British Columbia, Chevron 94 has no ethanol and is not highly regarded. As well all 91 in Canada is ethanol free and not ideal for turbocharged. In several provinces they have Petro Canada 94 with 10% ethanol which is what I have used for the last 2 years. This is rated as 101.5 RON and is about the best you'll find in Canada. I'm not sure how it compares to US 93 but it's definitely better than the 91.

Hollywoo0220 thanked this.
  3. Hollywoo0220

Hollywoo0220 Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)

First Name:
    RJ
    Car(s):
    Tank, Lunar Module, and 1990 Diahatsu Charade
    @marauderguy good stuff! Was completely unaware of the lack of ethanol content; thus, that would explain a slight drop in actual Octane value in the fuel.

4. OP
    OP
    gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    So now I'm confused. A guy yesterday said he uses 91 in Canada (which from the previous post is poor for turbos) and he claimed he is seeing knock control in the .4's. How is this happening? I'm only seeing .49 when running 10% ethanol 93 octane in the US.

5. Hollywoo0220

First Name:
    RJ
    Car(s):
    He stated “Knock Count” - might be a mistype or monitoring the wrong thing

6. marauderguy

marauderguy Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Touring
    Petro Canada

91 Octane No Ethanol
    RON 97.2
    MON 85.6

94 Octane with Ethanol
    RON 101.5
    MON 88

7. Hollywoo0220

First Name:
    RJ
    Car(s):
    #157 Hollywoo0220, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    @marauderguy Good Info again!
    By the look of it, appears that even by U.S. standards of averaging the TWO values still equates to the correct octane.
    The only difference between the TWO types of fuel is the addition of ETHANOL in the higher Octane.
    Since the 91oct does not have ethanol, it will still lack some of the "anti-knock" characteristics of alcohol fuels.

None the less, the Civic's sensors will adjust timing accordingly - so, not a big issue.

Some food for thought:
    OEM knock routines are very accurate (as they pick up just about everything under the sun), just slow to recover. OEM knock strategies often aggressively retard timing as soon as activity is detected from the knock sensor.
    However, for performance applications, it can be beneficial to reduce the attack rate of knock retard as well as increase the recovery rate that increments timing back to normal. Even though spark advance tries to return to the desired value sooner, a repeat offense simply starts the routine over with another round of spark retardation. By not changing the actual threshold, this technique preserves engine protection while reducing the duration of knock strategy intrusion on the driving experience.
    That is what the tuners have done with their tested tunes afforded with the purchase of the hardware.

8. vctsonicgrey

vctsonicgrey Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Hatchback
    Did you wait for the prompt to turn the ignition off (with motor not running) and then ignition on after a few seconds before you press the ok button? There should be a "Flash Successful..." memo that finalizes the flash. All your lights should be normal.

9. OP
    OP
    gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    ??
    Wrong thread?

10. vctsonicgrey

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Hatchback
    I didn't quote from yesterday...….it's up a few...…..Abdool give it another try and wait for all the software to prompt you that it's a successful flash. All your lights should normalize immediately, not while your driving.

11. Abdool

Abdool Senior Member

First Name:
    abdool
    Car(s):
    2018 honda civic touring
    I try it again however the lights won't normalize immediately they go away after driving around for 5 minutes...I contact ktuner and they said that' the light in the dash wont go away immediately as u suggest

12. Hollywoo0220

First Name:
    RJ
    Car(s):
    You are CORRECT @Abdool . The system needs to cycle through it's "Checks & Balances" before those will disappear. You have no issues in that department bud.

Abdool thanked this.
  13. Abdool

Abdool Senior Member

First Name:
    abdool
    Car(s):
    2018 honda civic touring
    But @vctsonicgrey said that all the light should go back normal immediately? Maybe he doesn't know

14. OP
    OP
    gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    #164 gtman, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    Sometimes I'll flash and get no errors afterwards at all and sometimes I'll get an error or two. They do take a bit of time to cycle off. It's normal like @Hollywoo0220 said.
    As far as "barely noticing any difference", there's an easy way to be sure the tune completed successfully. Just do a datalog and a couple wide open throttle runs. If you're seeing the boost peaking at 21psi or so, all is well. :) Honestly though, the difference from stock to Stage 2 is huge.

15. vctsonicgrey

Car(s):
    '17 Civic Hatchback
    #165 vctsonicgrey, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    You have a sport touring? Your ECU is different then mine possibly and you got more hardware and software, paddles, etc...., I got no lights after a tune promise.........Maybe the 18's react different from the 17's. When I flash, and I've flashed a lot...I plug into the OBD2 port, hit the ignition button twice without starting the engine, fire up Ktuner on the pc and wait for it to say connected lower left, open the tune file I want to use, hit upload...….all the error sequences (lights) only come up on the dash for about 6 minutes, then they cycle out gone. After the load up, Ktuner prompts to power off the car for a few seconds then power on before hitting ok on the pc screen, then you're good to fire it up. Tada, no more lights, not one, nope even after starting the engine. Listen to it, it will sound different even at idle. This is what I get every single time and...... heard somewhere you need to let it run for a short drive for it to breathe the new life you gave it. Oh, you will notice a difference and it's a beautiful thing.