Hatchback - What did you pay?

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2020's are already being advertised for at least a grand under MSRP and they are just hitting the dealers around here. I think 2019's may be being given away just to clear them out. I mean it is the end of year clearance event.

Joijessica

First Name
Joi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX Sonic Grey
Country flag
2020's are already being advertised for at least a grand under MSRP and they are just hitting the dealers around here. I think 2019's may be being given away just to clear them out. I mean it is the end of year clearance event.

Nice. I’m happy with my 2020

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With the car, all options, extended warranty, fees, and TTL, I came out at under $30k. $6k of that was my options, fees, warranty, and TTL.

Joijessica

First Name
Joi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback EX Sonic Grey
Country flag
With the car, all options, extended warranty, fees, and TTL, I came out at under $30k. $6k of that was my options, fees, warranty, and TTL.

Ouch. That’s a lot for a civic, what type did you get?

PEPSIFLAME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic EX Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ouch. That’s a lot for a civic, what type did you get?
2020 EX hatchback with every add-on offered. Got them at dealer price and free install or those would have added up to a lot more.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray
Country flag
A complete new car buying noob here and I was just wondering if anyone can give me some tips on roughly what I should be looking to pay OTD for a 2020 Civic HB Sport Touring with CVT in Northern California?

I'll be putting $10k down and my credit should get me their lowest rates. But I see people paying $27K before taxes and based on the MSRP, that's a damn good deal and I've no idea how to end up with a similar outcome. Currently I have budgeted for the full MSRP of the car to be safe and while I don't mind the payments, every bit I can knock off monthly is a big help. Or the more i can get for my money is good too if package deals are commonly added to sweeten the pot.

Should I be trying to leverage their use of Honda financing to get me deals?

Is it just a matter of when you buy to get the best discounts? I intend to buy in March when my current car is fully sold (buyer is making payments right now).

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to take a stab at it.

mechanical42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wife Prius, 2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
You should be aiming to get it below invoice price (before TTL)
http://www.carquotes.com/new-prices/honda/civic-hatchback/2020/sport-touring-cvt
Which is $27,714. So $27k is a good goal.

Honda Finance is a good thing to mention since they'll get a kickback on top of the deal.
March is a fine time to buy. Demand for 2020s has died down by now.

Send internet queries to as many dealers as you can find that has one in stock and start the bid war. You will have to show-up to a few of these dealers to prove you are real. But always leave if they don't give you the price you ask. They will always call you after to try and counter-offer. It might take a a few weeks of negotiating between different dealers. But eventually you'll get the right price. NorCal market also gives less discounts, but be patient.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You should be aiming to get it below invoice price (before TTL)
http://www.carquotes.com/new-prices/honda/civic-hatchback/2020/sport-touring-cvt
Which is $27,714. So $27k is a good goal.

Honda Finance is a good thing to mention since they'll get a kickback on top of the deal.
March is a fine time to buy. Demand for 2020s has died down by now.

Send internet queries to as many dealers as you can find that has one in stock and start the bid war. You will have to show-up to a few of these dealers to prove you are real. But always leave if they don't give you the price you ask. It might take a a few weeks of negotiating between different dealers. But eventually you'll get the right price. NorCal market also gives less discounts, but be patient.
Thank you! That is solid info to work with and a number I can now shoot for :) That is a great idea with the bid wars too, let the dealers fight for it a bit. I am extremely excited to get this ball rolling. Been recovering for three years and finally ready to drive again :)

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
DO not tell them a payment you want. Go in with a number and do the sales tax yourself on a calculator. Say you will pay this number, here's the sales tax, and ask for the doc, title, and license fees. Easiest way to not get screwed. Learned this the hard way. If they give you a number you are comfortable with then work the tax out again and add all the costs up yourself so as to not get scammed.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
DO not tell them a payment you want. Go in with a number and do the sales tax yourself on a calculator. Say you will pay this number, here's the sales tax, and ask for the doc, title, and license fees. Easiest way to not get screwed. Learned this the hard way. If they give you a number you are comfortable with then work the tax out again and add all the costs up yourself so as to not get scammed.
I appreciate the tips, and reading this thread I'll probably for sure want to look over everything when they give me the final price to make sure I didn't get signed up for something I didn't need.

Honestly I'll be happy if I can get out at $30-31k OTD without wanting to punch a salesperson in the face lol.

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I appreciate the tips, and reading this thread I'll probably for sure want to look over everything when they give me the final price to make sure I didn't get signed up for something I didn't need.

Honestly I'll be happy if I can get out at $30-31k OTD without wanting to punch a salesperson in the face lol.
Not sure if you have no haggle dealerships there but in MN they're common. Prices were coming in between 26-27k consistently on the sport tourings so i wouldn't think hitting 27-28k would be difficult.

DoctorC

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure if you have no haggle dealerships there but in MN they're common. Prices were coming in between 26-27k consistently on the sport tourings so i wouldn't think hitting 27-28k would be difficult.
I believe I have seen some dealerships advertise the no haggle prices in the past so I'll keep an eye out for them around here. So far I think I'm definitely gonna do as much online haggling as I can and just go in for a few test drives so they know I'm a real buyer.

I do better negotiating when I have a few seconds to think of a response lol. I'm normally a softy when it comes to haggling in person which is why I've come here for some sage advice :)

One thing I'm curious about, as a non-mechanic and person with hands that are useless for wrenching, would it be worth it to try to squeeze in the extended Honda warranty?

arsh88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I believe I have seen some dealerships advertise the no haggle prices in the past so I'll keep an eye out for them around here. So far I think I'm definitely gonna do as much online haggling as I can and just go in for a few test drives so they know I'm a real buyer.

I do better negotiating when I have a few seconds to think of a response lol. I'm normally a softy when it comes to haggling in person which is why I've come here for some sage advice :)

One thing I'm curious about, as a non-mechanic and person with hands that are useless for wrenching, would it be worth it to try to squeeze in the extended Honda warranty?
I had it but cancelled it. They're rarely worth it and the default warranty is 60k. however they extended 2018's to 6 years unlimited on the powertrain and i won't be shocked if they end up extending it on future models as well.
Sponsored