Hatchback Stiffer Springs - Stock Height Options?

SpikedLemon

First Name
Spiked
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Country flag
I've a 2019 LX Hatch and want a slightly stiffer ride (but really don't want to fork over for struts/shocks if it can be avoided).
Are there options to maintain a stock (or stock-ish) ride height with some slightly stiffer springs on a Hatch?

I've already bottomed out the air dam a couple times now (at stock height) on some steep driveways and learnt my lesson on how much worse it can get as a daily-drive with a former car that I dropped >2".

I've read elsewhere the Si springs are a higher spring rate but contribute to, roughly, a 0.7" drop. I assume I can keep the stock struts/shocks with this option.

Are there other options without significant drop?
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Si springs will probably give you the most mild drop. Next option might be Megan Racing springs. Those are ~25mm / 0.9".

Yeet-n-Duner

First Name
j0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hb ex
Country flag
well... not just spring..

BUT! you can always buy a full coilover set... and set it to factory height.
(as long you dont choose extreme low option)
if the coilover set has adjustable damper... you're more than golden.

there are a few selections out there.
i.e. bc racing, d2 racing, buddy club.... may be other companies by now.

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback 6M
Country flag
I just ordered a set of Si springs for my LX Hatch for the same reason.. wanted a slightly stiffer/sportier ride with minimal drop in ride height.. I will measure the actual drop in ride height when I get the Si springs installed.

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport Touring, 2010 Subaru Forester, 2015 Yamaha FJ-09
Country flag
I just ordered a set of Si springs for my LX Hatch....
Will be doing the same to my 2019 Hatch Sport Touring, and will also install the Si rear stabilizer... and maybe a strut brace in the front. I think this combination will improve things enough and prep the car a bit for FP, when it becomes available for my ECU. Had my 2011 Civic fitted with HFP suspension, Si front and rear bars, and shifter bushings... miss that ride.

Where did you order the hardware?

Last edited:

nrchaytor

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback 6M
Country flag
Will be doing the same to my 2019 Hatch Sport Touring, and will also install the Si rear stabilizer... and maybe a strut brace in the front. I think this combination will improve things enough and prep the car a bit for FP, when it becomes available for my ECU. Had my 2011 Civic fitted with HFP suspension, Si front and rear bars, and shifter bushings... miss that ride.

I got mine at https://www.hondaautopartswarehouse.com/

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Have you gotten around to doing this yet? Can you confirm you've ordered the springs for the sedan Si (per below)? Cheers.

Front spring L
51406-TBF-A01

Front spring R
51401-TBF-A01

Rear spring
52441-TBF-A01 (x2)

I am also after the stabilizer, part no. 52300-TBJ-A01.

Just found your other post (after install)... did someone botch the installation or were the parts incorrect? Feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bullet_127

First Name
Arturo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but could someone post the stock height for a 2017 ex-T sedan? I feel mine looks a little lower than others I see around...maybe its just me :confused:

aauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport cvt
Country flag
Finally got around to upgrading my 2019 Hatch ST to Si springs and Si rear stabilizer. Not a bad job if you've got the tools and an extra pair of hands here and there. The ride is nice and firm, with a much improved turn-in. Very happy with the upgrade. Not quite what I had on my 8th generation sedan (HFP suspension and Si stabilizers F+R), but a great improvement none the less, and all for well under $300 CAD. Drop is ~10-15mm, but that wasn't really important to me. Will be looking to tune next. Maybe a strut-brace, shifter bushings and a short-shift adapter before that.

20200326_180422.jpg
Hi, your ride is looking good there. I’m also interested in doing Si springs for my hatchback too. Did you use the stock shocks? They will be okay with the Si’s stiffer spring rate?

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi, your ride is looking good there. I’m also interested in doing Si springs for my hatchback too. Did you use the stock shocks? They will be okay with the Si’s stiffer spring rate?
I suppose that will depend on the type of driving you plan on doing, but the car is very well behaved in street driving that I do. I don't throw the car hard around corners and I am not really looking to find limits... but this upgrade makes the car feel more sporty, and it works for me. I do recommend upgrading the stabilized while in there. It will add about half an hour to the project and it will complement the rest of the upgrade. I went with the Si bar and the overall combo is nicely balanced IMO.

aauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport cvt
Country flag
I suppose that will depend on the type of driving you plan on doing, but the car is very well behaved in street driving that I do. I don't throw the car hard around corners and I am not really looking to find limits... but this upgrade makes the car feel more sporty, and it works for me. I do recommend upgrading the stabilized while in there. It will add about half an hour to the project and it will complement the rest of the upgrade. I went with the Si bar and the overall combo is nicely balanced IMO.
I have been and do plan on tracking my civic occasionally(maybe once or twice a year). I do want to have a stiffer ride but don’t want to go the coilovers route so I thought the Si springs would be a good option. Since you only do street driving, I guess that won’t affect the stock shocks too much? Probably a different story if I’m going to track the car. Btw..I do the have an Si rear sway bar installed on mine and it’s a good upgrade.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag

I went with a whiteline sway bar and I don’t regret it. Also look into the civic type r front subframe brace it’s a $30 mod that improves the handling up front. The front sway bar from the civic type R fits the hatchback models as well, but the whole subframe needs to be dropped in order to replace. Bought it from:
https://www.hondapartshq.com/
Brace: 50290-TGN-E00
2 bolts you will need: 90182-S2H-000

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went with a whiteline sway bar and I don’t regret it. Also look into the civic type r front subframe brace it’s a $30 mod that improves the handling up front. The front sway bar from the civic type R fits the hatchback models as well, but the whole subframe needs to be dropped in order to replace.
Huh... never considered the brace. Conversion is now complete with the Si bar and the springs... but the subframe and the strut brace looks low effort enough to try. The rear engine mount looks stupid simple too. The car is nicely balanced for the street and much improved from stock, but clearly there's opportunity for more.

piterek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Since you only do street driving, I guess that won’t affect the stock shocks too much? Probably a different story if I’m going to track the car.
Not necessarily... streets are punishing in their own way, and the dampers work hard. Track obviously offers other challenges. This mod helps reduce body roll, F-R is balanced and the car stays pretty square in sweepers. Have fun with whatever you decide.

highroller

First Name
U Hash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo
Country flag
Hey guys I was thinking of going with Eibach Pro kit as I a slight drop.
Keeping that in mind two options popped up.
1. Megan Racing Lowering Springs ( Lowers: 1.0" Front, 1.0" Rear. Spring Rates: 162 lbs/in Front, 190 lbs/in Rear ). Drop is same as pro-kit but price is far better.
2. Si Stock Springs.

Which one would be better fit? I own touring version.
Sponsored